Chicken Strips / Lean Angle

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Dudes, let's get personal here.

I've only done 370 miles odd on mine but I've still got a pink stripe on part of my rear tyre. I've scrubbed it to within a half inch of the edge, but obviously not enough to wear the paint off.

I was interested to know, what tyres have you got fitted, how big are YOUR chicken strips, if you have any, and how long before you cranked it over fully?

Also what sort of lean angles are you achieving, and has anyone one scraped the pegs?

Photos would be ACE!:celebrate:

Videos would be AMAZINGSSS!
 
There were no stripes on my tires, I have leaned her over pretty good, but I couldn't tell you the angle, I haven't scraped anything yet. I'll have to have a look at my tires, if I have any, they are small.
 
Thread starter
davidsargee_imp said:
There were no stripes on my tires, I have leaned her over pretty good, but I couldn't tell you the angle, I haven't scraped anything yet. I'll have to have a look at my tires, if I have any, they are small.
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
 
It took longer than usual for the colors to come off my factory tires too. In part because if the profile of these tires it doesn't take much to get them all the way over so they're "stripless."

The guy who cleans my carpets thinks the flat spot down the center of my rear tire is a chicken strip. He made a big tadoo about it when I was showing him the bike. I started to explain Florida roads, the lack of curves...then I just said "yeah, that's a big damn chicken strip, ain't it?"
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
It took longer than usual for the colors to come off my factory tires too. In part because if the profile of these tires it doesn't take much to get them all the way over so they're "stripless."

The guy who cleans my carpets thinks the flat spot down the center of my rear tire is a chicken strip. He made a big tadoo about it when I was showing him the bike. I started to explain Florida roads, the lack of curves...then I just said "yeah, that's a big damn chicken strip, ain't it?"
Ahh, Spaceman. I don't think I've ever read one of your posts without laughing!

I'd have explained in no uncertain terms that unless he wanted to be cleaning blood stains off your carpets he best wind his frickin neck in! But that's just me :shy:
 
Too old to play those games anymore and not many roads to practice the craft in south Georgia. That said, the CB handles well and with some sticky tires would acquit itself well on a challenging road I think.
 
This was my original rear tire when I swapped it out last month.

950831f118d9c8fb23dde84ecc6ecbcb.jpg


59888bc1b4b7d40600fbcc51ff1fe2b1.jpg
 
With the stock 140/70 rear, you'll start dragging the pegs at the same point where you've truly erased any hint of the "chicken strip". With a 150/70, the pegs drag with about 3/8" of an inch of unused rubber remaining.

No sense in removing the peg feelers because the centerstand, frame and/or exhaust will drag directly thereafter, especially for heavier riders.

As far as the actual lean angle, there is an SAE rating for the bike but I'm going to say between 35-38 degrees for a 160-lb rider, without taking into account hitting a bump or some other event that would significantly reduce cornering clearance.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
davidsargee_imp said:
There were no stripes on my tires, I have leaned her over pretty good, but I couldn't tell you the angle, I haven't scraped anything yet. I'll have to have a look at my tires, if I have any, they are small.
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Was away from the bike when last posted.

Just took these, it is dusk around here but I think you can see well enough. Not erased, but as Redmist said, you would probably drag something if you did erase them. I oiled the chain, thus the hand prints.

Edit....3324 miles

Here ya go:



[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Backright_zpsb8a21ef8.jpg.html]
 
My chicken strips meet in the middle ;). Bok bok bok
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
My chicken strips meet in the middle ;). Bok bok bok
Lol.:D
davidsargee_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
davidsargee_imp said:
There were no stripes on my tires, I have leaned her over pretty good, but I couldn't tell you the angle, I haven't scraped anything yet. I'll have to have a look at my tires, if I have any, they are small.
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Was away from the bike when last posted.

Just took these, it is dusk around here but I think you can see well enough. Not erased, but as Redmist said, you would probably drag something if you did erase them. I oiled the chain, thus the hand prints.

Edit....3324 miles

Here ya go:



[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Backright_zpsb8a21ef8.jpg.html]

Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Was away from the bike when last posted.

Just took these, it is dusk around here but I think you can see well enough. Not erased, but as Redmist said, you would probably drag something if you did erase them. I oiled the chain, thus the hand prints.

Edit....3324 miles

Here ya go:

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/backleft_zps57e1a42f.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Backright_zpsb8a21ef8.jpg.html]
Erm, are you seeing what I'm seeing? They look pretty similar to mine.

I'd say there was still a small kinda half inch bit of chicken on there. Would you agree?:shy:
 
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
My chicken strips meet in the middle ;). Bok bok bok
Lol.:D
davidsargee_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
davidsargee_imp said:
There were no stripes on my tires, I have leaned her over pretty good, but I couldn't tell you the angle, I haven't scraped anything yet. I'll have to have a look at my tires, if I have any, they are small.
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Was away from the bike when last posted.

Just took these, it is dusk around here but I think you can see well enough. Not erased, but as Redmist said, you would probably drag something if you did erase them. I oiled the chain, thus the hand prints.

Edit....3324 miles

Here ya go:



[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Backright_zpsb8a21ef8.jpg.html]

Photos, or it didn't happen! :D
Was away from the bike when last posted.

Just took these, it is dusk around here but I think you can see well enough. Not erased, but as Redmist said, you would probably drag something if you did erase them. I oiled the chain, thus the hand prints.

Edit....3324 miles

Here ya go:

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/backleft_zps57e1a42f.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Backright_zpsb8a21ef8.jpg.html]
Erm, are you seeing what I'm seeing? They look pretty similar to mine.

I'd say there was still a small kinda half inch bit of chicken on there. Would you agree?:shy:

I haven't seen yours, but there were never any pink stripes on mine. Was that something that was printed on the tire when new?

Sure, I would agree that there is some stripe there. I said, if I have any, they are small. I hadn't really looked at that before now.

I'm not sure you could clear it without scraping. I don't claim to be Freddie Spencer, just that I have "leaned her over pretty good". I don't think that's much of a stripe for an old fart, :D . I've seen much larger.
 
I'm still getting my nerve up from crashing last April. sigh. And I don't hit the twisty bits as much; too many other things to do and bikes to ride.
 
A little over 2000 mile on my tires. Still some chicken strips on the rear, and over a 1/2" each side on the front. I drag my boots routinely but have never scraped any hardware.

a3e9028bb332dcca3c8cf416b189fc42.jpg


12b8ad8e6143159d6716205af9166484.jpg
 
Thread starter
That's pretty decent. I've never dragged my boots, so might not be leaning far enough. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
 
Did it again this morning, left peg scraping. Standard weight rider (~160 geared up), shocks set to standard (step 2).

The bike is quite easy to turn with those wide bars and narrow tires. The lean angle sensor in my brain is not calibrated to Cap'n Kidd. He likes to turn but starts digging in early.
 
Thread starter
Red Mist_imp said:
Did it again this morning, left peg scraping. Standard weight rider (~160 geared up), shocks set to standard (step 2).

The bike is quite easy to turn with those wide bars and narrow tires. The lean angle sensor in my brain is not calibrated to Cap'n Kidd. He likes to turn but starts digging in early.
I like that turn of phrase. I always read your posts in a sort of 'authoritative drawl', if you'll excuse me saying so. I'm around 200lb and have mine set on click 3 at the back and tweaked half a line firmer on the forks.

With only 422 miles racked up of which I did only 318 I suspect I'll settle in to the bike and become a peg grinding guru.

I must admit, this evenings ride was more natural feeling and I think I'm getting my groove with Dixie. :shy:
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Did it again this morning, left peg scraping. Standard weight rider (~160 geared up), shocks set to standard (step 2).

The bike is quite easy to turn with those wide bars and narrow tires. The lean angle sensor in my brain is not calibrated to Cap'n Kidd. He likes to turn but starts digging in early.
I guess yer gotta keep the preshar on him sos he doesn't turn around and bite yer! :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
Did it again this morning, left peg scraping. Standard weight rider (~160 geared up), shocks set to standard (step 2).

The bike is quite easy to turn with those wide bars and narrow tires. The lean angle sensor in my brain is not calibrated to Cap'n Kidd. He likes to turn but starts digging in early.
I guess yer gotta keep the preshar on him sos he doesn't turn around and bite yer! :D
I guess yer gotta keep the preshar on him sos he doesn't turn around and bite yer! :D I gotta thump him in the skull and bust him acrost the jaw wunst in a while to keep him in line.

Hey you'd really like to read about my buddy Steve Costigan, too!
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
Did it again this morning, left peg scraping. Standard weight rider (~160 geared up), shocks set to standard (step 2).

The bike is quite easy to turn with those wide bars and narrow tires. The lean angle sensor in my brain is not calibrated to Cap'n Kidd. He likes to turn but starts digging in early.
I like that turn of phrase. I always read your posts in a sort of 'authoritative drawl', if you'll excuse me saying so. I'm around 200lb and have mine set on click 3 at the back and tweaked half a line firmer on the forks.

With only 422 miles racked up of which I did only 318 I suspect I'll settle in to the bike and become a peg grinding guru.

I must admit, this evenings ride was more natural feeling and I think I'm getting my groove with Dixie. :shy:
I like that turn of phrase. I always read your posts in a sort of 'authoritative drawl', if you'll excuse me saying so. I'm around 200lb and have mine set on click 3 at the back and tweaked half a line firmer on the forks.

With only 422 miles racked up of which I did only 318 I suspect I'll settle in to the bike and become a peg grinding guru.

I must admit, this evenings ride was more natural feeling and I think I'm getting my groove with Dixie. :shy: Yep, I'm just channeling Robert E. Howard's "Breckinridge Elkins" from time to time! Cap'n Kidd bein' Breck's crazy, unruly horse which can ride faster and farther than any hoss that ever lived, but needs to be slugged on the jaw and punched on the nose to keep him in line. That ain't abuse because Cap'n Kidd generly bites a chunk or two outa Breck's leg and then tries to buck him clean off like there was a painter on his back!
 
Back
Top