Checking the oil level

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I keep my CB on a battery tender, check the tires before each ride, clean and lube the chain after every few tanks, but I couldn't be bothered to check the oil level between changes. Ignoring it may be false economy, but the engine doesn't smoke or drip oil, the oil pressure light never illuminates while riding, the clutch and gearbox work perfectly, and I change it every 4000 miles anyway. Besides, I hate getting down on my knees. Anyone else as negligent as I am?
 
Yep... I hardly ever check oil level between changes just for the reason you stated, it doesn't leak it and it doesn't burn it. So it should all be in there. I change it so I know how much I put in it. Same with my ST 1300 now with 89,000 miles on it.
 
I check mine often so, a question... can changing your oil too often hurt a motor or performance (directed specifically to you high mileage bike riders/owners)? I LIKE changing my oil. I do it quite a bit more than recommended, in part, because I like fresh oil in the case and I like tinkering. My wife accuses me of buying motorized equipment (bikes, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.) just to maintain them. I've never has a problem with cars/trucks or the five years I've owned/ridden bikes. Thoughts (beside a waste of money)?
 
Wish you lived next door stateboy I could keep you busy doing stuff I hate to do.

Can't hurt it changing the oil too often, only too infrequently.

I know guys who replace their batteries every 2 years too. My thought is as long as it has a clutch, I can bump start it and get it home if the battery dies prematurely, otherwise I'm only replacing them every 5 years.

And you hit my thought right on the nose... Just a waste of money (however, it's not my money, so have at it lol)
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I keep my CB on a battery tender, check the tires before each ride, clean and lube the chain after every few tanks, but I couldn't be bothered to check the oil level between changes. Ignoring it may be false economy, but the engine doesn't smoke or drip oil, the oil pressure light never illuminates while riding, the clutch and gearbox work perfectly, and I change it every 4000 miles anyway. Besides, I hate getting down on my knees. Anyone else as negligent as I am?
Yep.
 
I also don't check the oil level of my CB. Or let me better write, not so often as I should.
My reason for not doing it is, I use an oil thermometer and the CB pretty much shows no abnormal symptoms in the way the temperature developes during rides. Everythings seems to be okay all the time between changing the engine oil.

My riding style is smoothed out, not reving the Honda hard
Maybe using the whole spectrum of revs for longer periods of time may cause the engine to burn some oil. But even in this case I don't think so, it's a modern Honda. So, if I would drive a more racer oriented style, I would check the oil level more often. And would change it more often too.

Wisedrum
 
I rarely check it since I have bad knees but I'm going to try to take a pic with my phone camera to see if that works. The ST site window is even worse since it's really hidden. I have to get on my knees with a flashlight to get a good look. I've never had to add oil between changes on either bike.
 
stateboy_imp said:
I check mine often so, a question... can changing your oil too often hurt a motor or performance (directed specifically to you high mileage bike riders/owners)? I LIKE changing my oil. I do it quite a bit more than recommended, in part, because I like fresh oil in the case and I like tinkering. My wife accuses me of buying motorized equipment (bikes, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.) just to maintain them. I've never has a problem with cars/trucks or the five years I've owned/ridden bikes. Thoughts (beside a waste of money)?
Tell your wife that tinkering in your garage with your toys is cheaper than drinkering in a bar with your boys.
 
Interesting thread.
I check the oil level on my modern bikes once in a while and it never changes, but I check the oil level on my vintage bikes every week.
 
I check the oil level when I check the air pressure which is fairly frequently.
I tried the previously mentioned trick of taking a smart phone photo of the oil level while sitting on the bike but for me it was more trouble than it was worth. An inspection mirror for $9 isn't bad though.
 
I check my CB1100 oil level about every 500 miles or so. But, as recorded in other threads, the oil sight glass on this bike isn't very accurate. I check the oil in my VFR less often. In 102,000+ miles I have never added a drop of oil between my 3,000 mile oil change intervals.
 
I wonder, for those that are frequent oil level checkers of their motorcycles ... do you check your car oil level as often, or is it only your motorcycles that you don't trust to maintain their oil level?
 
The ferret_imp said:
I wonder, for those that are frequent oil level checkers of their motorcycles ... do you check your car oil level as often, or is it only your motorcycles that you don't trust to maintain their oil level?
I check my truck and car both at approximately 1,000 mile intervals. The truck has 196,000 miles on it, my car has 378,000 miles on it (yes, I replaced the rings and had the head rebuilt once).
 
My biggest problem is I have no level spot to check on. I live on a hill and my driveway is steep and my garage is slanted towards the garage door. Last oil change I didn't discover I had over filled until I checked it at the gas station on my next petrol fill up.

Just so I know next time, what is the exact volume required for oil and filter replacement?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Retsel, unfortunately it seems to vary depending on maybe drain time or ? I put in 1 gallon and don't worry about it. At first I think I was putting in 3 qts and 28 oz and not worrying about it lol. One gallon for me just slightly overfills. Others need the 4.1 gals called for to get it just below the upper line.
 
4.1 qts, Ferret? Just under 4 liters in modern measurements! :D
 
Back
Top