Low oil level

Had me a Mandalorian did. Baby carriage I was in. Embarrassed I was.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Looking at the level is fickle at best. Is the ground level side to side/ front to back. Was the engine warmed up enough? Was it warmed up too much? Was it then allowed to drain long enough or drained too long? Is it the same for a 30 wt oil, a 40 weight oil? A dinosaur oil? A synthetic oil? Does it really make a difference to the motor if the sight glass is full? If the level is at upper level marked on the case? The lower level as marked in the case? Anywhere in between the levels marked on the case? How much would it have to be over or under filled to be detrimental to the motor?

Does anyone follow the instructions for checking oil level as described in the owners manual to the letter?

Have to ever heard of an oil related motor failure on a modern motorcycle?

Of course we'd all love to have the perfect oil level in the motor before every start up. Is that even possible?

I think most oil related insecurities are self created.
Totally agree, way too much anxiety out there on oil change intervals etc.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Strong the RLETs are. On the handlebars mounted they are. See the oil sight glass—they cannot.
And knew better I thought you did.
 
Thread starter
I’ve noticed that the engine top leaks some oil. Initially I thought it’s condensation, and was just wiping it out. I’m sure it’s oil now.


I got to a dealer this morning and they told me to change a gasket, which is about £50 + labour. The bike is relatively new, I wonder why it happened.
 
mrded_imp said:
I’ve noticed that the engine top leaks some oil. Initially I thought it’s condensation, and was just wiping it out. I’m sure it’s oil now.


I got to a dealer this morning and they told me to change a gasket, which is about £50 + labour. The bike is relatively new, I wonder why it happened.
Less common these days I reckon, but I remember that was common on inline-4s back in the early 1980s. I just rode until there was another reason to lift up the engine cover, unless of course your pants were getting oiled - which sometimes happened. :dodgy:
 
Has the valve cover ever been off? I don’t see any sealant at the end cap. Going to leak there unless applied in accordance with the manual. Or the gasket was pinched or something.

Is the other side showing any sign of leaking?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Has the valve cover ever been off? I don’t see any sealant at the end cap. Going to leak there unless applied in accordance with the manual. Or the gasket was pinched or something.

Is the other side showing any sign of leaking?
Yes, the oil is on both sides. It’s hard to say if it leaks from one place, looks like all around the engine.
 
The only way to fix it is to open it up. I’d change the gasket and apply sealant in the places the manual says for the end caps and that should do it.
 
I'd clean well with degreaser spray, let dry. Check the tq on the valve cover bolts (properly- with a tq wrench) then ride and see what happens.
 
Thread starter
What about a wrong oil? I know that in a car if you use a wrong oil - it somehow can leak out. It's more granular or something, not sure.

I have no idea what oil was in it when I bought the bike. Perhaps I can change the oil and check if it continues to leak.

It's hard to believe that the new engine is not sealed properly. Not Honda, no.
 
In your opening remarks you say you ran your bike for 6 months or so, it ran fine, checked the bike over no signs of any leaks. THEN you added more oil because you thought it was low, now you have leaks. Is it possible that you have inadvertently over filled it and consequently over pressurized the engine case? Hence the weeping gaskets? One pint/half a litre doesn’t sound much but maybe it’s just too much. If you haven’t already I would drop that old oil and filter, put the correct amount of correct spec oil in, and no more, then maybe just maybe you might get away with it and the weeping gaskets will settle down. Honda give a spec for a reason and using stuff not in spec is a gamble. An incorrect oil could I’m sure cause leaks.
 
Adding to all the good advice; you are not the first one to experience this, mine weeped oil since i got it and i very much doubt if the cover was ever removed.
Just to put your mind at ease there is nothing concerning going on, here is a shot of my valve cover, it weeps all around, i just wipe it off once in a while, it certainly keeps any corrosion at bay, the cost and risk of removing the cover, taking all the parts off, replacing the seal and potentially ending up with the same situation is not a risk i would want to take, but we all have a different opinion and i certainly respect that;



Be aware that the bolts in the cover have m6 thread, a shoulder that stops the bolts from going too deep into the cam shaft bearings and the last thing you want to do is strip the m6 threads or break them off because the bearings are part of the head assembly, bored in line for the camshafts and are not a separate spare part, so it is not a matter of just tightening the cover bolts to increase the tension on the cover gasket.
In addition to that if the weeping is in all around the head it is unlikely that one of the bolts is loose........

Thanks for posting the video, it was very helpful in assessing the situation, well done.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Adding to all the good advice; you are not the first one to experience this, mine weeped oil since i got it and i very much doubt if the cover was ever removed.
Just to put your mind at ease there is nothing concerning going on, here is a shot of my valve cover, it weeps all around, i just wipe it off once in a while, it certainly keeps any corrosion at bay, the cost and risk of removing the cover, taking all the parts off, replacing the seal and potentially ending up with the same situation is not a risk i would want to take, but we all have a different opinion and i certainly respect that;



Be aware that the bolts in the cover have m6 thread, a shoulder that stops the bolts from going too deep into the cam shaft bearings and the last thing you want to do is strip the m6 threads or break them off because the bearings are part of the head assembly, bored in line for the camshafts and are not a separate spare part, so it is not a matter of just tightening the cover bolts to increase the tension on the cover gasket.
In addition to that if the weeping is in all around the head it is unlikely that one of the bolts is loose........

Thanks for posting the video, it was very helpful in assessing the situation, well done.
Thank you for the reply, if the forum had a like button, I would definitely like you comment.
 
Back
Top