Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Yes the CB is so nice and smooth to ride. Plenty of power and comfortable, what more could you want.The ferret_imp said:Good night the CB has to be a revelation after the Armstrong 500 ( Rotax/HD kickstart single right?).
I don't think you can firmly define the word as it applies to motorbikes. But you know it when you feel it. My sense is that it implies something that feels other than studied, focus grouped or created in a lab, with certain 'flaws' or characteristics versus the perfect, that make it interesting. And lust worthy. Out right performance, reliability or spec sheet factoids don't fully matter....I never much cared what Sophia Loren's blood pressure or 40 yard dash times were.The ferret_imp said:LOL well some designs even though being utilized today, are 40-50 years old (Ducs, Harleys and Guzzis haven't changed much).. and I haven't owned any bikes in the last 25 years that many would consider having character since most everything has been Japanese. Some would say my 2003 Bonnie but honestly that was a very good motorcycle and had very few traits that I would consider giving it character, so other than old stuff and stuff others have that I know I have nothing for comparison.
What do you think gives a bike character Capo? You ride a lot of the bikes that many people would probably describe as having such. Is it a physical feature? rarity? country of origin? Is just being non-Japanese enough to say a bike has character?
Thats a good videoPowerDubs_imp said:I've owned cars with character. I've owned bikes with character.
To me- it is usually a combination of a good sound and a little spunk in throttle response.
Give me a throaty intake noise, a little voice on the back end and a little hit of accel if I give it the beans.
Example- here is my Vw R32 from a decade ago- sit and listen to the entire video and tell me it didn't have character. Trust me it is worth the time to anybody who claims to like motorized videos.
Please forgive me that I filmed it with a 2004 cell phone zip tied to my rear windshield wiper.
And if that isn't enough-
Yea I know it isn't a bike, but I've never filmed a bike.
My '83 IT250 and my '89 FZR600 both had character- neither were stock.
Well- nothing I've ever owned stays stock..![]()
Had to laugh since we were just talking about this. Today the mail lady brought me a new Cycle World. Back cover of the magazine, full page adCapo_imp said:Comparing 40 and 50 year old bikes to a modern bike in terms of 'character' is a bit pointless. I had a '73 Honda CL350 that was a vasectomy on wheels, but in its time it was considered quite civilized.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that, Rboe! Guzzi keeps trying to pass off the new V7 as the descendent of the original. It isn't. As you said, the new V7 (and V9) are descendants of the small block Guzzi engine. Nothing wrong with that, aside from the fact that the bikes aren't related to the big block engines. However, they're all built in the same factory located in Mandello del Lario, Italy. I've ridden my 'big block' 1200 Sport for nearly 64000 miles since 2010, and she's a truly nice big block Guzzi. And even with stock exhaust, this bike sounds like a big block Chevy. Not all that loud .... just a nice sound and vibes. This bike has 'character,' in my opinion.Rboe_imp said:Regarding the V7. The old original V7 was a big block motor. The current V7 is a small block motor. Two very different beasts.
The words "big" and "small"....The ferret_imp said:what is the difference between big block and small block from a practical perspective?

Retsel_imp said:I don't know. But to me any character in a motorcycle is given by the people that ride them. A motorcycle, to me, has no character when it comes off the factory floor. It is the owner of the inanimate object, be it motorcycle, auto, aircraft, boat or whatever that gives it character. With the single exception of Christine. That was one mean Plymouth Fury with attitude and loads of "character"! So, to me an old bike with lots of miles and multiple owners, each making their own modifications and adding to the character, has much more " character" than any new one off the assembly line.
This is my favorite definition of "character".
The aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing.
Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
DaSwami probably nailed it. I've only owned big block motors. But I "think" the small blocks rev higher. I've only ridden a couple and they were 750's and acted like "small" motors.The ferret_imp said:what is the difference between big block and small block from a practical perspective?