'Character' or rough?

PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
 
Houtman_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you see on the internet! :P
 
Stichill_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you see on the internet! :P
Yeah. What brand are you smokin' there Stich?
 
When I test rode my '13, I kept saying to myself, "This is like butter!" Smooth and silky like Irish butter, but too quiet by a long shot. It sounds like a hair dryer even with the muffler end plate drilled so much there's very little of the plate left.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you see on the internet! :P
Yeah. What brand are you smokin' there Stich?
Yeah. What brand are you smokin' there Stich?
Sakura (cherry blossoms)

a99cd82b66941c4311cb923079fbc4da.jpg
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Me too !
Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you see on the internet! :P
Yeah. What brand are you smokin' there Stich?
Yeah. What brand are you smokin' there Stich?
Sakura (cherry blossoms)

a99cd82b66941c4311cb923079fbc4da.jpg
Yeah. What brand are you smokin' there Stich?
Sakura (cherry blossoms)

22acf4c824e1b829efb133c6d09c6489.jpg

That is the prettiest health warning I have ever seen on a pack of cigarettes.
 
Wright Wrote:To me this just translates as 'rough' and is not the quality feel I'm used to from a honda four. If I wanted something that feels and sounds like a twin I'd buy a twin.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. The CB1100 doesn't run roughly, nor does it feel or sound like a Twin. It's still ridiculously smooth, even if it isn't quite as smooth as Honda could have made it.

Just ride the thing. You'll be fine.
 
No matter what you think of the CB, it could be worse. R18s have three riding modes. BMW actually purposely screwed up the most aggressive of these at idle so that the thing acts like it has a vacuum leak when idling. Because of the huge horizontally opposed engine, sputters and bucks so that the bike jerks left and right. Lots of owners aren't super happy about that. It's easy enough to turn this behavior off at traffic lights, but still, it's a pain, and seems stupid.
 
I also read about the slight valve timing adjustment to make it sound like how they used to sound and I like it.
My 2015 ex was very quiet and run really smooth, its the first thing you notice how smooth it rides.
My new RS sounds very different much louder especially at tick over and if you blip the throttle but its just as smooth as the ex.
Every bike I have owned I've never been happy with the sound and had to change the cans for that propper motorbike sound. I was thinking I may have to change the 2015ex cans but the RS sounds perfect to me so no need to change.
The CB is a motorbike why would you want it to sound like a car.
 
The one thing I don't like about mine is the amount it vibrates. When warmed up and idling the mirrors are vertical blurs. I asked Honda to check at the first service and they reckon it is normal. :(
 
Different people are more, or less, sensitive to vibration. Personally I don't mind it, and sometimes it is a lot of fun. I once rode my buddy's Harley Softail Springer and the vibration was an absolute blast!
 
Stichill_imp said:
Different people are more, or less, sensitive to vibration. Personally I don't mind it, and sometimes it is a lot of fun. I once rode my buddy's Harley Softail Springer and the vibration was an absolute blast!
Are we talking handlebar vibration or more specifically engine and frame? I don’t mind the latter but if the bars vibrate my hands go numb. My mirrors and bars vibrate and I got to admit it annoys me quite a bit. I just bought some grip puppy’s to see if it will help. Beyond that somebody once linked some super heavy bar ends, which will be my next step.
 
my mirrors look clear at idle and does not blur until around 4500 i also dont have weights and have aluminum bars
 
cj599_imp said:
my mirrors look clear at idle and does not blur until around 4500 i also dont have weights and have aluminum bars
I wonder if my Yoshi slip-on might have something to do with the vibration. Hmm.
 
Whoops_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Different people are more, or less, sensitive to vibration. Personally I don't mind it, and sometimes it is a lot of fun. I once rode my buddy's Harley Softail Springer and the vibration was an absolute blast!
Are we talking handlebar vibration or more specifically engine and frame? I don’t mind the latter but if the bars vibrate my hands go numb. My mirrors and bars vibrate and I got to admit it annoys me quite a bit. I just bought some grip puppy’s to see if it will help. Beyond that somebody once linked some super heavy bar ends, which will be my next step.
Are we talking handlebar vibration or more specifically engine and frame? I don’t mind the latter but if the bars vibrate my hands go numb. My mirrors and bars vibrate and I got to admit it annoys me quite a bit. I just bought some grip puppy’s to see if it will help. Beyond that somebody once linked some super heavy bar ends, which will be my next step.
An old trick from way back was to fill the bars with sand to help stop vibration or a more modern way I've heard of is to fill the bars with one of the flexible gap sealers builders use.
Not sure if it would work on modern bikes though but if you can pick up some spare bars maybe worth a try.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Different people are more, or less, sensitive to vibration. Personally I don't mind it, and sometimes it is a lot of fun. I once rode my buddy's Harley Softail Springer and the vibration was an absolute blast!
Are we talking handlebar vibration or more specifically engine and frame? I don’t mind the latter but if the bars vibrate my hands go numb. My mirrors and bars vibrate and I got to admit it annoys me quite a bit. I just bought some grip puppy’s to see if it will help. Beyond that somebody once linked some super heavy bar ends, which will be my next step.
Are we talking handlebar vibration or more specifically engine and frame? I don’t mind the latter but if the bars vibrate my hands go numb. My mirrors and bars vibrate and I got to admit it annoys me quite a bit. I just bought some grip puppy’s to see if it will help. Beyond that somebody once linked some super heavy bar ends, which will be my next step.
An old trick from way back was to fill the bars with sand to help stop vibration or a more modern way I've heard of is to fill the bars with one of the flexible gap sealers builders use.
Not sure if it would work on modern bikes though but if you can pick up some spare bars maybe worth a try.
Are we talking handlebar vibration or more specifically engine and frame? I don’t mind the latter but if the bars vibrate my hands go numb. My mirrors and bars vibrate and I got to admit it annoys me quite a bit. I just bought some grip puppy’s to see if it will help. Beyond that somebody once linked some super heavy bar ends, which will be my next step.
An old trick from way back was to fill the bars with sand to help stop vibration or a more modern way I've heard of is to fill the bars with one of the flexible gap sealers builders use.
Not sure if it would work on modern bikes though but if you can pick up some spare bars maybe worth a try.
Another old trick was to fill the bars with lead birdshot/BB's.
 
My '13 doesn't vibrate at all and those long slender mirror stalks are as still as stone. I always wrap all my bike's grips with foam bicycle handlebar tape. Makes them more comfy.
 
Yeah, my CB vibrates some. It even buzzes at times. But nothing has ever fallen off.

Ever ride a Guzzi, Ducati, HD or any big twin? Hell, an older 500 2 stroke???

To me it's just character like the ping of the fins after riding on a hot day.

If you want smooth just buy a Goldwing. My Valk I can cold start with a nickel on the motor and it'll stay. I'm pretty sure I can do that with the CB.

Sure, the CB1100 has some faults and shortcomings but I'm cool with them. :banana:
 
Back
Top