'Character' or rough?

Wrighty_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
hi all, I'm sure I've read that honda have altered the valve timing on 2 cylinders of the 1100rs in order to give the engine 'character'. To me this just translates as 'rough' and is not the quality feel I'm used to from a honda four. If I wanted something that feels and sounds like a twin I'd buy a twin. I'm going to ask my local dealer to take it for a ride and check that it's running right, (don't worry sir they all do that!). I must say the quicker I go the smoother it is and if its right I'm sure ill get used to it. Any comments welcome.
 
Truthfully my CB 1100's have been some of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden outside of a six cylinder. If they made it rougher, I don't feel it.
 
It is this way and as I recently found out it has always been this way, not just the RS, all models. I thought it was a 2017MY and onwards feature but I was wrong. The newer design exhaust does tend to bring it out a little more. I did a few drive-bys to record it for myself, I don't mind it actually.

 
Any comments welcome.
[/QUOTE]
When my 2014 Dlx was new it didn't run clean at very low RPM (just off idle). I posted multiple comments about this on this forum, I think you may be able to find them under the mechanical section. To make a long story short, I took it back to the dealer twice to have it looked at, and both times they found nothing wrong. I corrected this issue myself by performing the TPS reset. I was very happy with the results, maybe you will be too?
 
I never thought the CB1100 as "rough", but did know they engineered the lump to "have character". As Haggard pointed out, above 6000 it resonates like steel on ice.
 
Wasn't there a pretty extensive history of the bike's development on the honda.co.jp website? I think they mentioned changing the cam timing to give the engine a more 'characterful' demeanor. I think I remember someone else here on the forum swapping out the cams to get rid of the added character.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Wasn't there a pretty extensive history of the bike's development on the honda.co.jp website? I think they mentioned changing the cam timing to give the engine a more 'characterful' demeanor. I think I remember someone else here on the forum swapping out the cams to get rid of the added character.
Yes, somebody did post they wanted to remove the character, and enhance the likelihood that the rider will hit the starter motor again when the motor is already running. ( ... just kiddin' on the last part)
 
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.
 
Minami : Basically, straight-four is smooth if the four pistons move in the same way. I thought that running and feeling "muddy" would be a direction to change it little by little.
As a result, we shifted the valve timing between the 1st and 2nd cylinders and the 3rd and 4th cylinders, and while changing the timing little by little, we found a sensuous feeling such as the "misalignment" of combustion that people feel. It is.

I found the CB1100 Engineers talk using Google. But it is in Japanese so I used the translate button and then copied the above. Anyway, here is where I found it: https://www.honda.co.jp/tech/motor/engineer-talk/CB1100/episode1/
 
There's a deep-seated affinity for the cadence of the human heartbeat. Bump-bump....bump-bump...bump-bump.

It just feels more alive than bump-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump.
 
Lord Popgun, I found the English version that Honda took off the global site in the Wayback Machine. You can download PDF files of the pages here.
 
Thank you Mr. Peabody! Think I’ll download them!
 
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
The image is now shattered. But, ...

We can rebuild him; we have the technology ... better, stronger, faster, ...
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The extensive “history” was removed from the Honda website a while ago. There may be copies on the forum somewhere.
That's where I got my avatar, which is the CB1100's chief developer smoking a butt while standing next to his creation.


I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
I feel silly now- I always just thought that was you.
Mscb1100 said the same thing when we met at the Berea rally! He said something like, "I thought, 'Who is that guy? A little Japanese dude smoking a cigarette.' I thought that was what you looked like."

:rofl:

fa3c49f58336f869a2f9f315b3f63ebb.png



 
Back
Top