Lord Popgun
Road warrior
Yes if it is a rivet link. But you can get a tool really cheap. Or spend semi big bucks for a more pro tool.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
MMC_imp said:So I ordered a DID Xring chain. It’s says “Master Link(s) Included with chain: Rivet”
Does that mean I have to get a tool to install the master link?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ferret_imp said:MMC_imp said:So I ordered a DID Xring chain. It’s says “Master Link(s) Included with chain: Rivet”
Does that mean I have to get a tool to install the master link?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not necessarily although that will make it easier. I installed one on my Yamaha FZ-1 using a steel plate for a back plate and a hammer and punch to flatten the rivet.
There are videos on you tube showing the process.
The ferret_imp said:I would not be aftaid to run a clip link still, but then I ride like a grandfather. Wait... I am a grandfather (x5. The oldest in college) lol
I agree with you Ferret. In 48 years of riding, I have never seen a clip link come off, nor heard of any of my riding buddys having one come off. That said, we used to carry a spare master link and clip wrapped in plastic in the tool kit under the seat. I like your Nephews idea, but I think I would be more inclined to try a couple of snap rings put on with snap ring pliers, because that type ring would encompass the full diameter of the link pins. I am wondering if the switch to riveted links may have an effort to avoid liability issues? Because, as we all know, someone will always do a simple install like a clip link improperly, resulting in an unnecessary failure of the part. Being able to take a chain off because it had a clip link, to give it a cleaning bath, would certainly be a lot less messy, and a lot easier IMHO.The ferret_imp said:I have never seen a clip put on properly come off, but I suppose it has happened. My nephew used E clips on one of his bikes saying you might lose 1 but chances are you will never lose both, with makes a lot of sense.
The spec for riveting a master link is pretty technical. Measure the plate front and back to make sure it's straight, then mushroom and measure the head of the squished rivet. Squish it too hard and you are in the dog house as their is no way to un-squish it. I let the shop do the replacement on my CB1100 a few months ago, but I am never confident in their ability to do it right, but even less confident in MY ability to do it right lol.
I hadn't either. I've been installing them since 1980 and always triple check that the clip is properly seated.The ferret_imp said:I have never seen a clip put on properly come off, but I suppose it has happened. My nephew used E clips on one of his bikes saying you might lose 1 but chances are you will never lose both, with makes a lot of sense.
The spec for riveting a master link is pretty technical. Measure the plate front and back to make sure it's straight, then mushroom and measure the head of the squished rivet. Squish it too hard and you are in the dog house as their is no way to un-squish it. I let the shop do the replacement on my CB1100 a few months ago, but I am never confident in their ability to do it right, but even less confident in MY ability to do it right lol.