Chain replacement

Is this the start of a... chain thread?

I've not needed to replace mine yet, but if you've been satisfied with your OE chain, why not just replace it with another one? I imagine they're available in the aftermarket at a lower price than Honda charges.
 
I got 36,909 miles out of my oem chain so I replaced it with another oem. Mine was an RK and so was it's replacement. An oem DID is available too.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I got 36,909 miles out of my oem chain so I replaced it with another oem. Mine was an RK and so was it's replacement. An oem DID is available too.
Did you replace your front and rear sprockets at the same time? If yes, did you use OEM?
 
yes on all counts.... also replaced the rubber drive cushions
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Is this the start of a... chain thread?

I've not needed to replace mine yet, but if you've been satisfied with your OE chain, why not just replace it with another one? I imagine they're available in the aftermarket at a lower price than Honda charges.
“Is this the start of a... chain thread?” Lol

I’ve got over 43,000 on my bike, time to replace the chain. I’ll probably go with an aftermarket one. The sprockets actually look fine but chain is stretched. I’m just checking to see if anyone has recommendations for one to use.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
IMO you can't beat a DID X ring chain for a replacement.

I know i know, I used an RK oem, but I have used DID X rings in the past and they are great chains.
 
The ferret_imp said:
IMO you can't beat a DID X ring chain for a replacement.

I know i know, I used an RK oem, but I have used DID X rings in the past and they are great chains.
+1 My OEM chain still looks good at 24K miles, but every time I've needed to replace a chain on one of my bikes, I've always used a DID X-ring or O-ring. Never had a problem and they've always lasted longer than expected.

Last one I replaced on the CB750 was a DID VX Series X-ring chain. At 25K miles, it's hardly worn at all.
 
DID X-ring came stock on my 2012 Bonneville.
It required one adjustment, when new.
Never touched it again until ~7,000 miles/one year, when the bike got its first coin-op wash after a trip to my ranch (16 miles of rough dirt road/trail).
I then used a wax based lube.
 
Still use the original chain after more than 5 years and 46.000km. It's now a bit worn out and shows a tendency to become stiff after standstills. Maybe I change the chain and sprockets next autumn, already bought a fitting DID set.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Still use the original chain after more than 5 years and 46.000km. It's now a bit worn out and shows a tendency to become stiff after standstills. Maybe I change the chain and sprockets next autumn, already bought a fitting DID set.

Wisedrum
29K miles is a good life. How frequent did you lubricate it?
 
As often as it seemed to be dry.
On two longer rain tours in the last years through Scandinavia and Great Britain nearly each day.
Here at home not so often but regulary with a not so expensive chain spray for o ring chains to prevent rust and runnig metal on blank metal. What I could not really hinder is the fact, that after a while the single parts of the chain become stiff in winter more than in summertime. The inner lubrication doesn't seem to work well anymore and I assume they got rusted. So the life of the chain is now slowly coming to an end. It's now not easy to adjust the chain correctly. I prefer to let it hang a bit loose...

Wisedrum
 
My OEM chain lasted nearly 50,000 kms too. I replaced it and the sprockets with another O-ring chain which did not last very long at all.
 
The chain set Honda uses is of very good quality. Can hardly be reached and beaten by an aftermarkt bought.
For example the indian noname O-ring chain of my Bullet only lasted 3.000km and was stiff like he** although I took good care of it. That bad quality can't be topped.

Wisedrum
 
not sure I would change steel sprockets with first chain. usually aluminum sprockets need changing every time, but not steel ones...
 
My '13 CB's chain and sprockets had 53K..bike got sold and I would say were due to replacement before 2019 season (chain and rear sprocket OEM, front 19T sprocket aftermarket, perhaps sprockets would be OK??)

pb
 
I am beginning to think that the wax based spray I use (every 600 miles) is mainly to for the benefit of the O rings rubbing against the links, to keep them serviceable and they retain the grease applied during assembly.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I am beginning to think that the wax based spray I use (every 600 miles) is mainly to for the benefit of the O rings rubbing against the links, to keep them serviceable and they retain the grease applied during assembly.
I think you're right. Keeping the grease inside the O rings is as important as keeping the smoke inside of an electrical circuit!
 
Thread starter
So I ordered a DID Xring chain. It’s says “Master Link(s) Included with chain: Rivet”
Does that mean I have to get a tool to install the master link?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top