Chain making clanking grinding sound.

My chain has 36,000mi on it and has only needed one tiny slack adjustment--it's still at the beginning of the green wear bar on the chain guard. However, it does have a few links which are slightly bound (kinked slightly) resulting in a periodic noise as the thing goes around. I did a short trip around the neighborhood without my normal helmet and earplugs setup right after my last valve adjustment so I could give everything closer listen. The chain sounded like a box of rocks ender certain throttle load--just awful. It's the chain for sure as the sound changes dramatically depending on throttle--wheel bearings would make noise regardless. The frequency of the crashing is consistent with a chain cycling, too.

I bought a new high end RK X-Wring chain and OEM sprockets, plus the RK tool which makes the pin staking Joe-proof. I'm going to swap the thing at my next tire change even though it shows no wear on the red/green wear indicator. It will be interesting to see what the front sprocket looks like. The rear one has no visible wear.
 
Thread starter
Have decided to just keep it lubed well and take it to mechanic when I get home in about 1400 miles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
My chain has 36,000mi on it and has only needed one tiny slack adjustment--it's still at the beginning of the green wear bar on the chain guard. However, it does have a few links which are slightly bound (kinked slightly) resulting in a periodic noise as the thing goes around. I did a short trip around the neighborhood without my normal helmet and earplugs setup right after my last valve adjustment so I could give everything closer listen. The chain sounded like a box of rocks ender certain throttle load--just awful. It's the chain for sure as the sound changes dramatically depending on throttle--wheel bearings would make noise regardless. The frequency of the crashing is consistent with a chain cycling, too.

I bought a new high end RK X-Wring chain and OEM sprockets, plus the RK tool which makes the pin staking Joe-proof. I'm going to swap the thing at my next tire change even though it shows no wear on the red/green wear indicator. It will be interesting to see what the front sprocket looks like. The rear one has no visible wear.
You mean besides the tensioning it automatically recieved after every new rear tire installation.
 
Given that I'm new on the CB1100, I don't know what the chain and sprockets wear is like on this specific bike, I still find these numbers mind boggling. Normally I'd consider myself lucky if my chain and sprockets last 25000km, but usually around 20000 I will be almost at the end of my adjustment and sprockets would have worn enough to pull the chain up for at least 5mm by hand
4b019e1e3043c7e7f58f815d6d82000b.png


Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I clean and lube the chain once week and when I wash the bike (except for that one experiment where I let it sit for 3000km untouched and it ate me up inside).
I am allergic to gunk on the chain slider and the front sprocket cover and I remove the cover and clean it up every week when I clean and lube the chain. Checking the tension is understood

Let's see what this CB1100 has in store for me, I've actually already ordered a chain and sprocket set just in case even tho my bike is only at 9000km

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
flint, I've had a couple of chains that make a horrible clanking sound as I take off. Sounds like it's hitting something. It's disappeared as I accelerate, but is very annoying at low speed. When it was doing it on one trip, I took it to a dealer I passed on the way and the mechanic had a good look at it. The tension was in spec, but he oiled it heavily and it stopped. The noise came back in time and oiling helped again.

zirconxi's insight is really interesting, although I recall trying to get it to make the sound on the centre stand and failing.

If you do find out what it is, please let us know.
For my case, to make the sound, I had to turn the wheel specifically in a bike reverse direction slowly so that the chain is pulling on the worn surface of the front sprocket. After a few turn once a while the chain will move/slip slightly on front sprocket due to the worn side of the tooth. This produce the grinding and clanking sound.
Turning the rear wheel as though the bike is moving forward will not produce the sound because the chain will be pulling on unworn surface of the front sprocket tooth, nicely seated.
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Given that I'm new on the CB1100, I don't know what the chain and sprockets wear is like on this specific bike, I still find these numbers mind boggling. Normally I'd consider myself lucky if my chain and sprockets last 25000km, but usually around 20000 I will be almost at the end of my adjustment and sprockets would have worn enough to pull the chain up for at least 5mm by hand
4b019e1e3043c7e7f58f815d6d82000b.png


Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I clean and lube the chain once week and when I wash the bike (except for that one experiment where I let it sit for 3000km untouched and it ate me up inside).
I am allergic to gunk on the chain slider and the front sprocket cover and I remove the cover and clean it up every week when I clean and lube the chain. Checking the tension is understood

Let's see what this CB1100 has in store for me, I've actually already ordered a chain and sprocket set just in case even tho my bike is only at 9000km

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Is chain wear worse in your Country because of sand acting as grinding paste ?
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Given that I'm new on the CB1100, I don't know what the chain and sprockets wear is like on this specific bike, I still find these numbers mind boggling. Normally I'd consider myself lucky if my chain and sprockets last 25000km, but usually around 20000 I will be almost at the end of my adjustment and sprockets would have worn enough to pull the chain up for at least 5mm by hand
4b019e1e3043c7e7f58f815d6d82000b.png


Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I clean and lube the chain once week and when I wash the bike (except for that one experiment where I let it sit for 3000km untouched and it ate me up inside).
I am allergic to gunk on the chain slider and the front sprocket cover and I remove the cover and clean it up every week when I clean and lube the chain. Checking the tension is understood

Let's see what this CB1100 has in store for me, I've actually already ordered a chain and sprocket set just in case even tho my bike is only at 9000km

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Consider a Forum search for, "Tutoro" - whether you ride in a sandy region or not.

I hate chain maintenance. Thus, I have not manually lubed a chain since 2014 and never had the need to replace chains or sprockets.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
Given that I'm new on the CB1100, I don't know what the chain and sprockets wear is like on this specific bike, I still find these numbers mind boggling. Normally I'd consider myself lucky if my chain and sprockets last 25000km, but usually around 20000 I will be almost at the end of my adjustment and sprockets would have worn enough to pull the chain up for at least 5mm by hand
4b019e1e3043c7e7f58f815d6d82000b.png


Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I clean and lube the chain once week and when I wash the bike (except for that one experiment where I let it sit for 3000km untouched and it ate me up inside).
I am allergic to gunk on the chain slider and the front sprocket cover and I remove the cover and clean it up every week when I clean and lube the chain. Checking the tension is understood

Let's see what this CB1100 has in store for me, I've actually already ordered a chain and sprocket set just in case even tho my bike is only at 9000km

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Consider a Forum search for, "Tutoro" - whether you ride in a sandy region or not.

I hate chain maintenance. Thus, I have not manually lubed a chain since 2014 and never had the need to replace chains or sprockets.
Consider a Forum search for, "Tutoro" - whether you ride in a sandy region or not.

I hate chain maintenance. Thus, I have not manually lubed a chain since 2014 and never had the need to replace chains or sprockets. I definitely will, and I do ride in a sandy humid region

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
You'd think, but it's always been in the exact same spot with respect to the graduation lines on the adjuster brackets (three lines back, exactly).

The ferret_imp said:
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
My chain has 36,000mi on it and has only needed one tiny slack adjustment--it's still at the beginning of the green wear bar on the chain guard. However, it does have a few links which are slightly bound (kinked slightly) resulting in a periodic noise as the thing goes around. I did a short trip around the neighborhood without my normal helmet and earplugs setup right after my last valve adjustment so I could give everything closer listen. The chain sounded like a box of rocks ender certain throttle load--just awful. It's the chain for sure as the sound changes dramatically depending on throttle--wheel bearings would make noise regardless. The frequency of the crashing is consistent with a chain cycling, too.

I bought a new high end RK X-Wring chain and OEM sprockets, plus the RK tool which makes the pin staking Joe-proof. I'm going to swap the thing at my next tire change even though it shows no wear on the red/green wear indicator. It will be interesting to see what the front sprocket looks like. The rear one has no visible wear.
You mean besides the tensioning it automatically recieved after every new rear tire installation.
You mean besides the tensioning it automatically recieved after every new rear tire installation.
 
interesting...and strange lol
 
Thread starter
Local San Diego Fun Bike Center dealership replaced both sprockets and chain with exact OEM parts. Service rep recommended non-OEM stuff (better/cheaper) but I said absolutely not!). When I picked up, Service rep showed where the wear was on the sprockets ... also said it was a good call on my OEM requirement because he did not know that OEM was actually good quality and had rubber dampening on the front sprocket. Said chain was in very good condition but worn (atta-boy for my regular Honda Pro Moly chain lubing). Bike is more responsive off the start line now :) Next up valves and debugging that darn ticking/clicking noise that sounds like leaky sparkplug wire harness but is not.
 
Good deal Bflint. Ready now for some more long distance trips
 
My guess would be that since they are wear items the answer is no.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Good deal Bflint. Ready now for some more long distance trips
Yeah ... trying to figure out how to get my CB1100 to Ireland, England, and western Europe (Germany, etc) without breaking the bank :)
 
My OEM chain and sprockets had almost 36,000mi (58,000km) on them as a set. Although there was virtually no stretching to speak of (tension adjustment at the new end of the green wear indicator), it began to make more noise over time. Also, there began to be some kinks along the lengths between sprockets. I decided to swap it out with a new high-end RK XW-Ring chain and new OEM sprockets when I had the wheels off for a tire swap.

The old chain was very stiff and the few pins I pushed out to inspect had some galling on them. The original O-rings were in good condition and the original sprockets showed no visible wear (teeth looked to be same shape as the new ones).





The new one runs quietly and should lower the rolling resistance quite a bit.
 
Back
Top