Chain lube

TINK_imp said:
I use the Pro Honda Chain Lube With White Graphite. Spray the chain every 500 miles. Clean the chain with kerosene every oil change. Buy only DID chains. I've gotten over 80,000 miles out of my chain. Got to love the current generation of o-ring chains, not like the old days when you would have to buy a new chain every time you put tires on the bike. TINK
This is my experience. I had 28k mi. on the oem DID on the VFR. It was still within spec when I had it replaced but I did it anyway prior to selling it to put in back in shape.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
With O-ring chains, a light lube like DuPont teflon works great. I use that and also the DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube in the orange can. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a heavy oil base will go a long way towards keeping things clean. The thick, heavy, dirt collecting lubes of the old days are for standard unsealed chains. O-rings don't need it.
Reminds me of when I used to clean the chain before lubing it on my 98 CBR600.

Used to rotate the wheel, thus slipping the chain through an old T-shirt with WD-40 on it held around the chain. One day I was in a rush to go back out, so I put the bike in first at idle and tried the same technique. What I'd created was the worlds first Honda meat grinder with a 599cc inline four!

Needless to say, the t-shirt got snagged, dragged round the sprocket and chopped the top of my thumb off! I was surprisingly calm after seeing my nice white bone poking out. I pushed the bike back down to the garage, wiped some of the blood off the tank. Then walked to hospital with my arm aloft like I was saying "please Darwin, pick me!"
Mate, here's me thinking that was one of those urban myths. If it wasn't so serious I would cack myself laughing. Of course I believe anything you say but a picture of the thumb might keep the demons of doubt at bay :).

Back to chain cleaning. I have been very happy with MOTUL Chain Clean, followed by MOTUL (Road) Chain Lube. Minimal fling and keeps there in wet etc.

Cheers
Mate, here's me thinking that was one of those urban myths. If it wasn't so serious I would cack myself laughing. Of course I believe anything you say but a picture of the thumb might keep the demons of doubt at bay :).

Back to chain cleaning. I have been very happy with MOTUL Chain Clean, followed by MOTUL (Road) Chain Lube. Minimal fling and keeps there in wet etc.

Cheers
I'm with Pterodactyl. I've just discovered the Motul line of chain products.
I'm very impressed with how easily the chain cleaner removes the old lube and dirt, and how well the Road Chain Lube adheres to the chain and its almost invisible. Having found this product(s), I doubt I will ever feel the need to try anything else.
 
Thread starter
CA200_imp said:
When I had my store we sold a ton of MOTUL chain clean and lube.
Old thread but I decided to try this stuff. The motul chain cleaner works really good and that is probably why you sold a lot of it CA200. My 1100 chain was nasty and probably never been cleaned nor lubed. I also decided to try the motul chain paste that comes in like a tooth paste tube to hopefully keep things less messy. I really like the way this stuff goes on. It will also barely fit under your seat if you are on a trip and need it.

I still have a little dupont chain lube and a full can of honda brand spray
chain lube but I am going to use that up on my 750. I will use the motul chain cleaner on the 750 though. I may be totally wrong but seeing how nasty the chain was on the 1100 I wonder if just keeping them relatively clean is not half of the battle to longer chain life?
 
The secret to chain life is keeping the rubber o rings between the rollers and the side plates pliable. Keeping the chain tension properly adjusted, and avoiding jack rabbit starts. The chains have lubrication sealed inside the roller by an oring from the factory. When the o rings dry out, crack and fall out, the internal lubrication leaks out, allowing moisture and grit to get inside individual rollers which will lock up causing a stiff spot. Keeping a chain clean on the outside will keep wear down where rollers and side plates contact the sprockets and will also lengthen the life of the sprockets themselves.

Most chain lubes will attract and keep the very abrasives we don't want on our chains.it's a catch 22. Keep them lubed and attract dirt or don't lube them and let the orings dry out. Luckily chains are so good these days that they will go 20,000 to 30,000 miles with even rudimentary care.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
CA200_imp said:
When I had my store we sold a ton of MOTUL chain clean and lube.
Old thread but I decided to try this stuff. The motul chain cleaner works really good and that is probably why you sold a lot of it CA200. My 1100 chain was nasty and probably never been cleaned nor lubed. I also decided to try the motul chain paste that comes in like a tooth paste tube to hopefully keep things less messy. I really like the way this stuff goes on. It will also barely fit under your seat if you are on a trip and need it.

I still have a little dupont chain lube and a full can of honda brand spray
chain lube but I am going to use that up on my 750. I will use the motul chain cleaner on the 750 though. I may be totally wrong but seeing how nasty the chain was on the 1100 I wonder if just keeping them relatively clean is not half of the battle to longer chain life?
I think you're totally right. The last two chains on my CB750 (both D.I.D o-rings) went 21K miles. I never cleaned them, just a spritz of light lube every 300-400 miles. When I replaced the last one, a post mortem revealed that the accumulation of grit had simply worn away the o-rings. My friends that clean their chains religiously have been getting about twice that mileage or more. So, now I've been convinced. Bought a chain brush and some kerosene and now I give the chains a cleaning every 3K-5K miles.
 
What about the chain surface, will it rust from a rainstorm if I don't clean the road wet dust off and re-lube it or are we suggesting just cleaning it with kerosene or something and what, I'm confused. Sorry.
 
I washed the entire bike except the chain and the chain still seems incased in that white stuff that she arrived with so I left it alone and guess that waterproof stuff keep the dirt out of where it don't need to be.
 
I read that using a grime brush with kerosene to clean the chain does not hurt the o-rings, and offers good cleaning prior to lube.

Any thoughts? I'm not much of a WD-40 fan for the chain.

George
 
I've never heard of O-rings being damaged by using a chain brush. So far, I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I use kerosene because I can really give the chain a good soaking and wash the grit out. Using WD-40 in that quantity would be kind of expensive.

Both kerosene and WD are solvents, which means they'll remove whatever lube is on the outside of the chain. After cleaning a good coating of your lube of choice should do the trick.
 
Just slightly off the subject I thought I might share a tip on cleaning lube off the rear wheel. I've got spoked wheels and cleaning them was a nightmare until someone told me about using furniature polish. I use a product we have in the UK called 'Pledge' which comes in a spray can. Another similar product is called 'Mr Sheen'. Just spray on, leave for 60 seconds and the muck just wipes away. Far better than any dedicated motorcycle product.
 
Paulb_imp said:
Just slightly off the subject I thought I might share a tip on cleaning lube off the rear wheel. I've got spoked wheels and cleaning them was a nightmare until someone told me about using furniature polish. I use a product we have in the UK called 'Pledge' which comes in a spray can. Another similar product is called 'Mr Sheen'. Just spray on, leave for 60 seconds and the muck just wipes away. Far better than any dedicated motorcycle product.



Use it on all the bike for a quick "spruce up".

Cheers
And this one turned Germaine Greer into a heavy user.


 
I noticed this evening when I was checking tire pressure on my new bike, the rear wheel does not, what I call, free wheel per se. Rather, it takes some pressure to get it to rotate on the axle. Almost like the rear brake is slightly engaged.

Is this typical?
 
Paulb_imp said:
Just slightly off the subject I thought I might share a tip on cleaning lube off the rear wheel. I've got spoked wheels and cleaning them was a nightmare until someone told me about using furniature polish. I use a product we have in the UK called 'Pledge' which comes in a spray can. Another similar product is called 'Mr Sheen'. Just spray on, leave for 60 seconds and the muck just wipes away. Far better than any dedicated motorcycle product.
Is it the same Pledge we have here that is a furniture polish? Comes in lemon scent - Ohhhh. Almost as riding on US1 in FL during Orange Blossom season.
 
I'm going to do my first chain lube job tomorrow, using this new Dupont Teflon chain lube and saver... Only 111 miles ridden but I want to see how this new material works and holds up.
 
Motorcyclist Magazine just came and has a great article on chain maintenance including how and when to lube, and if WD 40 acts negatively on chains. Interesting article.
 
Back
Top