Chain Lube

LouA_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm having a Problem with chain lube flinging off the chain and getting on my jacket. My last bike, a 250 ninja never did this. I don't lube the chain on the cb any more or less than I did on the ninja. I'm suspecting the somewhat short chain guard on the Honda is the problem. Anyone else have this problem?
 
I've never had chain lube get on my jacket off any bike I have ever owned. 44,000 miles on my 2 CB 1100's and it's never happened. Can't keep it off back rim, but never on my clothing.

Take bike for a ride. Put bike on ceneterstand. Lube chain. Wait a couple hours. Take rag and wipe excess lube off chain.
 
I've never noticed chain lube on my clothing except when I have not aimed the spray nozzle correctly. I don't even wipe off the excess as Ferret correctly suggests, but still nothing spraying off the chain on to my clothes. Bugs, water, road tar are other matters.
 
I'm running the factory chain guard and I've never had chain lube get on my jackets from the 1100 or any bike I've owned.
A little bit might eventually get on the rear rim, but that's about it.
Follow ferret's advice, use a fling-free formula, and you should be fine.
If that doesn't work then I have no advice.
 
How often do you lube the chain?

I lube the chain at every third fuel fill (on average) by lifting the bike on the center stand, rotating the wheel and touching the chain ("inside" side) with a small brush lightly (very lightly, no dripping!) dipped in the w80 gear oil. It takes at least two or three passes over the length of the chain, as the quantity of oil on the brush is quite minute. I never experienced any oil either dripping of flying off. I have never replaced a chain before it did about 40K km. I clean the chain once a year (brush, kerosene...)

Could it be that it takes less lubricant, but applied more frequently, to avoid the problem described?
 
Lou, are you running an aftermarket guard?
 
Not to pile on, but I'm another who has never had this issue. Honestly, I don't see how it could be possible with the stock chain guard. I can't vouch for any others.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback guys. The chain guard is stock,what came with the bike. As an aside,I've found the best product to clean the rear wheel is Simple Green mag wheel cleaner. Note that's mag wheel cleaner,not the regular Simple Green regular/household cleaner. Makes the wheels look like the day they rolled off the showroom floor.
 
I've read on several forums that regular (original) Simple Green attacks aluminum. I imagine the mag cleaner product you're using is fine. I tried S-100 a few years ago and came away impressed.
 
btw.

i prever the waterless cleaning (mabye not realy for tires /rubber)






there are too any other waterless products
 
I tried several chain lubes that promised to be fling free. I lubed only the inside run of the chain, wiped off any excess, and spun the rear wheel to let everything work in. But I still ended up with chain lube on the rim and spokes of the rear wheel after a ride the next day.

Fortunately in a another chain lube thread some members mentioned chain wax. I bought a spray tin of Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax. Problem solved! No more messy black chain lube to clean up.

Tirox goes on clear, dries white, and stays on. I now spray all surfaces of the chain to keep it from rusting from the rain. Which is good, because it rained a lot this summer.

When the chain gets dirty, Tirox can be removed with chain cleaner and a Grunge Brush.
 
Back
Top