Chain guard extension

Delphisa

Running like a top
Thread starter
Having found sometimes a few grease particules onto the rear carrier (where my wife holds her hands...) I tried the following bricolage to reduce grease projections over rear of the bike :


To make this, I used some rubbish I found in my garage : a thin piece of black PVC (0.6 mm), and an aluminum plate, 2 mm thick:





Once assembled with a bolt and nylstop nut, it looks like this: (I also put a double-sided adhesive layer between the aluminum and PVC tab)





Not sure it will be really efficient, but it should capture a part of the flying grease - I hope so ! ;)

Jean-Pierre
 
Nice looks like it should work fine. I would try it out on a few rides and see the results. Then I would replace the bolt with a black rivet :)
 
This thread was worth it just to see "bricolage" used in a sentence.

What chain lubricant do you normally use? I use the Pro Honda Chain Lube with Moly stuff and I don't think I've ever had any fling anywhere. At least not up high enough to hit the rear carrier where it would be noticed.
 
I use the Honda one and no flying off any where.
Over the years I have found that the Honda products for cleaning and lubricating are very good.
 
AzBob: I saw the word bricolage but thought it was something Delphisa just made up. I did not want to say nuttin to hurt his feeling lol
 
What a lovely word 'bricolage' is! I had to look it up. My tablet tried to tell me it should be 'bricklayer'!
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Whatever lube the factory/dealer used on my chain is making a mess. I've got a thick, tacky, Vaseline-like covering all over my rear wheel.
My dealer used some sort of heavy-weight white grease/wax stuff (that also flung all over my rear wheel) that was taking me nearly an hour to remove until I figured out that brake cleaner removed it almost instantly (including from the wheel). Before I tried the brake cleaner (a Honda product, no less), I looked up to see if it would harm the o-rings or anything, and didn't see anything, so that's my go-to stuff for cleaning chains now. I used to use Simple Green, but that took a while.

In case anyone is interested, it's this stuff: Pardon Our Interruption

It doesn't stink to high-heaven, either, which is good.
 
Back
Top