Chain adjustments

pittycheria_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Are there any videos of the procedure? My challenges brain can't figure it out just by the manual.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
While chain adjustments are straightforward, I will say that chain maintenance on my 2017 EX is harder than any bike I have had--and I have had a lot of them. The chain is just pretty obscured by components on the bike, including the left side muffler. When I spray a chain with cleaner or lube I do not like hitting anything other than the chain itself. I use something between the side of the chain I am not spraying, and the bike to catch the overspray. It's a pain on the EX, particularly when lubing the inside chain side plates.
 
apex1_imp said:
While chain adjustments are straightforward, I will say that chain maintenance on my 2017 EX is harder than any bike I have had--and I have had a lot of them. The chain is just pretty obscured by components on the bike, including the left side muffler. When I spray a chain with cleaner or lube I do not like hitting anything other than the chain itself. I use something between the side of the chain I am not spraying, and the bike to catch the overspray. It's a pain on the EX, particularly when lubing the inside chain side plates.
I think that the owner's manual shows chain lubrication done from the rear, shooting the lube into the chain at the back of the rear sprocket. So I've started doing it that way, and it works just fine. No mess on the wheel or anything else.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
apex1_imp said:
While chain adjustments are straightforward, I will say that chain maintenance on my 2017 EX is harder than any bike I have had--and I have had a lot of them. The chain is just pretty obscured by components on the bike, including the left side muffler. When I spray a chain with cleaner or lube I do not like hitting anything other than the chain itself. I use something between the side of the chain I am not spraying, and the bike to catch the overspray. It's a pain on the EX, particularly when lubing the inside chain side plates.
I think that the owner's manual shows chain lubrication done from the rear, shooting the lube into the chain at the back of the rear sprocket. So I've started doing it that way, and it works just fine. No mess on the wheel or anything else.
I think that the owner's manual shows chain lubrication done from the rear, shooting the lube into the chain at the back of the rear sprocket. So I've started doing it that way, and it works just fine. No mess on the wheel or anything else.
That is a great suggestion--I will give it a try. Thanks.
 
Ferret turned me on to removing the chainguard first. It's simple and gives great access to the chain, especially for cleaning. Guess I was just too lazy to deal with it in the past.
 
jdinaz_imp said:
Easy to lube from the rear, but not easy to clean.
Well, if you REALLY want a clean chain, then here's the way to do it. I have copied this from Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance & Modification Guide, 4th edition, by LT Snyder. It may not seem intuitive (and did not to me; I printed this and stuck it up on the wall of my garage), but the results are unbelievable. Obviously this is only done at the time you wash the motorcycle. If you wish to do something in between times you wash it, what I do is put it on the centerstand and use some brake cleaner (sprayed onto a paper towel, not onto the chain) and wipe off the worst of the crud, then use some chain lube/wax.

Lubricating a Motorcycle Chain

1. Spray the chain lightly with a good coat of WD-40.

2. Hose off the chain with a light spray of water to remove all grime and dirt.

3. Reapply a coat of WD-40 and wipe off any excess oil and water. Inspect the chain to ensure that no grit and grime is present.

4. Again hose off the chain with a light spray of water to remove any residual grit and dry the chain with a cotton rag.

5. Apply a light coat of chain lube and wipe off any excess.
 
WD 40 is a Water Dispersant mixed with solvent chemicals. It is very hard on the rubber oring seals on a chain. I use kerosene (engine flush) in a spray bottle, then wipe dry with cloth rags. Then l carefully blow off any remaining residue with my compressor. I would never use water to wash a chain. After cleaning, go for a short ride to warm up the chain and then lube on the center stand spinning the tire in reverse.
 
It may be lore- but I'd heard many many year ago that the 40 was because it was the 40th attempted blend of whatever- meaning they tried 39 other things first before settling on that.
 
Back
Top