Cell phone mount

Ridem32_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Got this on eBay. Neat clean look and can still see my gauges ! :)
Michael
3776a331fddac473e77007ea90168349.jpg

0949c889f494ed31586ec6fd10cd9f4f.jpg
 
Call me a party pooper, but it think motorcycles should be free of additional dashboard clutter and extra 'gizmos'.

Riding the things takes a lot of concentration and looking FAR AHEAD is the key to safe riding.

I rely on Sat Nav a lot for work, in my huge ass car.

Riding a bike should be an altogether purer, more 'involved' experience. As such, I prefer to re-train my brain to read road signs...the clue to all potential fudge-ups.
 
I agree with you Tortuga. Having a GPS on my 'bars would be too much distraction. Perhaps others can handle it, but a man's got to know his limitations.
 
Thread starter
I have the same set up on my ST1300 and it works great I have the uclear Bluetooth headset and my iPhone works great with it all hands free. You can talk to as many riders that have the uclear the more riders you add the futher it goes miles and miles. Lots better than a chatter box. I agree if you don't want your phone mounted on your bike don't mount it on the bike I choose to have mine on my bikes the new iPhone with all the free apps for music, gps etc I think it's great. I got another little farkle ordered for my air box covers should be here in a few days. This is what makes for a great forum likes and dislikes ! :) just thought I would show my phone mount I also have a power charger on the rear of my bike hide very well and can put my iPhone in my tail/seat bag :) that's just my style to make my bike for me the way I like it. Some will like some of the ideas some want. But again great forum for all. Everyone keep up the good work :)
Michael
 
It's funny, I bought my CB because it LACKED most all of the modern gizmos we rely so heavily on now these days.. I ride my bikes to escape the !*#!* cell phone... Damn electronic tether :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
*shudder*

And underneath all that crap, somewhere, is your oil warning light, flashing red...
Pauley_imp said:
I agree with you Tortuga. Having a GPS on my 'bars would be too much distraction. Perhaps others can handle it, but a man's got to know his limitations.
Having green clocks is bad enough a distraction for me! :-/
HondaJon_imp said:
It's funny, I bought my CB because it LACKED most all of the modern gizmos we rely so heavily on now these days.. I ride my bikes to escape the !*#!* cell phone... Damn electronic tether :D
Precisely! :thumbsup:
 
I got my X-Grip and a RAM mount for the handlebar from Amazon a few weeks ago. Pretty cheap compared to some of the other solutions. Obvously not waterproof. I've used it on 3 trips now and I like it. It's easy to orient it just where I want it, it holds the phone safely.

The blue thing in the photo is a Lithium battery pack. Runs the phone for three days. I bought it for my work travel, but decided to use it on the bike as well. I wired my VStrom endlessly; this time I'm taking shortcuts!
 
Thread starter
Hondajon: I agree with ya about the looks and all about the CB. 100%. I can remove that mount in seconds leaving just the small ball mount on handle bars as you can see in photo one. The only difference is if I choose to mount my phone on my bars to use as a gps etc I can. But the fact remains this is 2014 we all have cell phones and when you ride your CB you have your phone in your pocket so yes your still tethered also checking you phone at every stop lol :) Ride safe and check your phone for missed calls at each stop :)
Michael
 
The article on using cell-phone GPS touted the voice turn-by-turn directions routed via Blootoof as a big benefit. Personally I'd find that much more distracting than glancing at the dash area for a second or two.
 
Thread starter
You have the option of voice saying turn here in 500 feet or you can cut that voice off. And just glance at GPS. I don't really use my GPS to get to point A to B. But it's nice to drop the pin and just ride maybe never looking at screen at end of ride it will show you the route you took, miles, time average speed etc. And if you want to go back the same route it will show you how. I got use to having my phone on my ST1300 with the Uclear wireless intercom it's nice. Phone rings you don't have to look at screen just say hello. If you want to call someone just say call mama! When phone call is done goes back to intercom Best part is 3 seconds and the mount is off your bike for the clean retro look! I ride about 25k miles a year on trips. When I ride around town I leave phone in pocket or a pouch on the bike but when you take off for a 5k or 6k mile ride with no plans just take off and ride tell the wife and kids see ya in a few weeks the neat up to date gadgets are very nice to have :)
Michael
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The article on using cell-phone GPS touted the voice turn-by-turn directions routed via Blootoof as a big benefit. Personally I'd find that much more distracting than glancing at the dash area for a second or two.
I'm having that! Thanks.
 
Thread starter
Tbone check out the uclear so far I'm pleased with mine
545e729519eb8e3e2944da5f4e5214eb.jpg

You can find them on eBay for lots less than bike shops
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Call me a party pooper, but it think motorcycles should be free of additional dashboard clutter and extra 'gizmos'.

Riding the things takes a lot of concentration and looking FAR AHEAD is the key to safe riding.

I rely on Sat Nav a lot for work, in my huge ass car.

Riding a bike should be an altogether purer, more 'involved' experience. As such, I prefer to re-train my brain to read road signs...the clue to all potential fudge-ups.
I have to agree with you. Riding is my therapeutic getaway from the daily grind. The less electronic gizmos staring at me, the better. My iPhone stays in my jacket pocket set on 'silent'...
 
I agree that your handle bars should be free of extra gizmos and cluter but I was looking into getting the power commander software to run on a windows phone and have it attached to my handlebars call me crazy if you will I thought it might be a good idea then the amount of diffrent fuel maps you could possibly have with you and switch between could be endless and wouldn't have to break the bank to buy all the PC stuff just an idea though a digital tac wouldnt be such a bad feature either in my opinion if all else fails you dont have to mount it to the bars you could just have it the phone with you to switch between after pulling the seat off and plugging it in again just a silly idea
 
Back
Top