CBR1000RR Front End?

Oooh yeah, this project is getting exciting. Looking forward to seeing and reading about how this bike comes together. Great stuff Café Project.
 
Thread starter
Soooo, been silent for a while. Working on the project. Made a lot of progress. The front end is sorted. Gold 2016 GSXR 750 forks, silver Brembo calipers, black front wheel, black custom billet triple trees, clamp and custom stem from Cognito Moto. Got new (sexy) black anodized billet shorty levers (brake GSXR and clutch Honda), black clipons, black led halo and HID headlight mounted to forks. Motogadget RFID ignition, pin blaze turn signals and (pending) instruments. Should have it put together in a couple of weeks. Have black wrap for the exhaust too. Phew!

Been working on the tank too. Have the Honda badges removed and all the dents filled. Looking for a different filler cap. Any ideas? Thinking of Dodge Destroyer gray paint (to match my car) with white stripes.

Just bought a 2015 Ducati Monster 1200 swing arm and an 1198 sexy wheel (no shock yet - trying to decide whether to go Ohlins or not - it's the $$). I am super excited about that. They both have 20mm pivot bolts and the Monster is a little narrower. A shim or two and we should be good. The top shock mount is the issue now. Looks like I am going to have to relocate the battery (not too bad) and remove the rear airfilter box. Thinking of replacing it with a K&N cone filter. Has anyone done that? Any tips would be appreciated. I do expect to have to do a tune and do something with the IAT sensor.

Let me know your thoughts. I will send some pics once the front end it done.
 
Thread starter
A CB1100 with a single sided rear swing arm and 190 section, 17inch wheel. Yes. GSXR front end too. It's a DucatiHondaSuzuki (from back to front).
 
Thank you. I suppose, to be consistent, it should be a Duhosu or a Tidaki or maybe a Candzu, but I like the inconsistent approach.

I’m looking forward to pictures of this hybrid Dudaki beast.
 
Cafe Project_imp said:
Soooo, been silent for a while. Working on the project. Made a lot of progress. The front end is sorted. Gold 2016 GSXR 750 forks, silver Brembo calipers, black front wheel, black custom billet triple trees, clamp and custom stem from Cognito Moto. Got new (sexy) black anodized billet shorty levers (brake GSXR and clutch Honda), black clipons, black led halo and HID headlight mounted to forks. Motogadget RFID ignition, pin blaze turn signals and (pending) instruments. Should have it put together in a couple of weeks. Have black wrap for the exhaust too. Phew!

Been working on the tank too. Have the Honda badges removed and all the dents filled. Looking for a different filler cap. Any ideas? Thinking of Dodge Destroyer gray paint (to match my car) with white stripes.

Just bought a 2015 Ducati Monster 1200 swing arm and an 1198 sexy wheel (no shock yet - trying to decide whether to go Ohlins or not - it's the $$). I am super excited about that. They both have 20mm pivot bolts and the Monster is a little narrower. A shim or two and we should be good. The top shock mount is the issue now. Looks like I am going to have to relocate the battery (not too bad) and remove the rear airfilter box. Thinking of replacing it with a K&N cone filter. Has anyone done that? Any tips would be appreciated. I do expect to have to do a tune and do something with the IAT sensor.

Let me know your thoughts. I will send some pics once the front end it done.
So late model GSXR forks and triples bolt on to our CB's?
 
Thread starter
No, absolutely not, but you can make it fit with some parts. Cognito Moto has the custom parts. Hit eBay for the rest. The CB1100 steering stem is welded into the triple trees and the GSXR fork legs are way wider. What you need are GSXR upper and lower trees and a hybrid stem. The stem is press fit. Believe me, it is a press fit. I tried hammering and I tried freezing one side and heating the other. Its a press fit. Plus the GSXR upper tree has the GSXR ignition cut out which does not fit the CB. The lower GSXR tree can be made to fit but you will want to grind off the steering damper bracket and the steering stops and drill and tap for new stops (available from Cognito Moto). I would recommend custom, billet upper and lower tree clamps from Cognito Moto, steering stops, hybrid stem (have them press fit it too), AllBalls taper roller bearings (hybrid all from CM). You will also need GSXR wheel, brakes, forks and spanner nuts. You will also need a CB1100 spanner nut socket and a GSXR750 spanner nut socket (I made my own - it's a long story). The CB1100 ignition will not fit, I have a MotoGadget RFID system. The horn, indicators and headlight wont fit either. I have suggestions if you need them. Lastly (LOL) you will also need the radial Brembo brake lever assembly from a GSXR and some levers that match (I bought a matched set of CB levers and a set of GSXR levers and kept the CB clutch and the GSXR brake). Lastly (really this time) clips ons. I have a set of 7/8 clip-ons from Woodford in anodized black with a 1 inch rise (from Cognito Moto again). I also have Motogadget blaze turn signals and instruments as my CB1100 instruments and turn signals were destroyed. There is also some mechanical engineering along the way. I have pictures and can help with any of this. So, do they bolt on? Yes they do!
 
I’ve frakenbiked a few times when I was a kid making due with what I had to get back into the woods.

We called a few- Yamahonda, Kawazuki. It is fun.

One of my favorite simple things was a FZR400 swing arm onto the FZR600.

Never stop fiddling!
3f4812487bfd345afb68d18b3a4167ab.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I can't wait to see this project Cafe Proj. Sounds great. Right out there.... pics please ;-)

I've tried a making a hybrid, Yam RD350LC with Suzuki RGV front and rear end. It was a learning curve and fun but, in the end I sold it as a road going 3/4 complete project. The big stuff was quite quite easy in that you got a lot done in a single fix but it was all the snagging that wore me down. Persevere Cafe, I'd love to see this project on the road.

Also, I've run the CB without an airbox. I've got a PCV with a Wideband 2 Commander. It worked fine. I didn't have it on the dyno but it felt like the low to mid range was a bit down, but top end flew. Just seat of the pants feeling tho. It could have been the sound fooling me as it sounded awesome on full song and a bit clattery low down...
 
Beardy - you removed the entire thing and ran open stacks right?

If I am reading this right, he wants to remove the rear portion- replacing it with a cone filter and leave the front part which should preserve impulse tuning. Not a bad idea as it would be hidden by the side covers anyway.

OP- post pics as you progress please.
 
Thread starter
I promise to post pics when the front end is fitted. I am waiting on one critical part (here on Tuesday). Should have something to show by next weekend. The little stuff seems to be going OK for far with the front end. There is so much aftermarket out there, that there aways seems to be a part that will solve the problem.

The rear end, rear sets and seat will be another story I am sure. Luckily, I have access to an industrial waterjet machine, and I am looking forward to making some cool parts out of exotic metals using that beast.

Thanks for the airbox info. Should get the Monster swingarm next week too, so I will know for sure how bad this is going to be.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Beardy - you removed the entire thing and ran open stacks right?

If I am reading this right, he wants to remove the rear portion- replacing it with a cone filter and leave the front part which should preserve impulse tuning. Not a bad idea as it would be hidden by the side covers anyway.

OP- post pics as you progress please.
Totally right. Just remove the rear part with the air filter in it and the air temp sensor. A K&N cone looks like it should fit on the front air box connector nicely. However, my plan was to relocate all of the connectors, fuses and relays to under the tank. Then move the (smaller) battery backward and make it part of the seat cowl. That would allow me to open up the side panels and show off the shock and filter.....
 
Thread starter
Quick update. Couple of not so small issues. I tried to fit the front end but forgot the bottom bearing dust seal for the All Balls kit. That means I have to press the stem and bearings back out and then back in again not forgetting the dust seal this time. Ball ache (all Balls Ache). I was too excited and rushed it.

Then the sexy looking 1200s Ducati Monster rear end was damaged, missing some parts and did not fit. It was 0.25 inch too wide (who knew?). So, due to the damage, the eBay seller paid the shipping for me to return it (no charge!). I bought a Ducati 1198SP rear end. This was less expensive, not damaged and it fits! It's basically a bolt in, just some modified spacers required. The rear sprockets are even the same chain size and teeth number! So, the rear end is pretty close. Have to weld the upper shock mount and figure out the rear sets for the rear brake. I am still going to have to remove the air filter box for the shock clearance, but it's less of an issue now.

Just a note on the rear end swap. The Ducati swingarm is 19.5 inches from pivot to wheel center and the stock one is about 22 depending upon chain stretch. This means a much shorter wheelbase (wheelie anyone?).

Who said this was easy? (I think that was me).

BTW, the 1198 swingarm, wheel and tire are pure porn. 190 section Metzler tire looks amazing next to the 140 stock one.
 
Can't wait to see pics. Do you need to press the stem off to put the dust seal under the lower bearing? Any chain interference with the 2" wider tire?
 
Thread starter
Picture of the swingarm. Fits great minus the battery and fusebox.

722757b008df79bf54ab8e2ae37068c1.jpg


0dde0898ff1b921ddcf349edb2b00740.jpg


ac5ab62ffb63ba726d3f9c776e85baba.jpg

pekingduck_imp said:
Can't wait to see pics. Do you need to press the stem off to put the dust seal under the lower bearing? Any chain interference with the 2" wider tire?
Take a look. It fits great.

9dc806be3eaa3cb50d8f4a243967fdef.jpg
 
Back
Top