CBF1000F Testride

Django

Road warrior
Thread starter
After riding my '13 CB1100 for 15 month now, I'm really considering to move on to a CBF1000F.

While I really like the basic ride on the CB1100, I started to doubt already some time ago, if this was really the right bike for me.

I did some modifications to suit it to my needs as a frequent and high mileage rider:[ul] [li]national cycle wind shield[/li] [li]fender extender[/li] [li]rear rack[/li] [li]sidebags
[/li][/ul] However, most annoying to me is the short fuel range, fill up every 200-220 km and low quality of the model I got, combined with high necessary cleaning effort.

Here are some recent pics:

Rust at ABS front ring:
c4b7bcde657899cf352821c5f9ff64fd.jpg


Engine color flaking, last summer:
a160fc47afee9785204028d35de47e71.jpg


Engine color flaking, current state:
bad56da3c846f89c70403ed59c38b796.jpg


There is also rust below the fenders and at the lower bridge.

Well, so I discovered the CBF1000F and had a test ride last Saturday. In short, the bike rides like a CB1100, but is a little bit better in every respect, like power, really quite behind the fairing, has about 400 km fuel range, but definitely not the charme of a CB1100 (at least to me).

Currently Honda Germany is offering the CBF1000F at a very aggressiv price: 9,450 Euro for a brand new motorcycle out of the door.

Germany - German

I think I would take this color:
9f42f7f75689039a0007670f5af8b8c3.jpg


Here is a review by motorcycle:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Honda-CBF1000A.htm

The downside is, I wouldn't get a really good price for my CB1100 as there is low demand and it has already nearly 30,000 km on the clock.

Now I have some hard time thinking about it.

Decisions, decisions...
 
oh, Django, I'm surprised to hear you are thinking of moving on...

When you say you are doubting that the CB11 is the bike for you, apart from the fuel range, what other things do you think of? Is it mostly around a "utility" long distance bike with lots of wind protection and good storage?

I agree that the rust and flaking you have is annoying and uncharacteristic, but even so you have a stunning looking bike! The "charm factor" that you mention, in my opinion, is a very big one.

Of course if looks and style are set aside, it was always clear that "better" bikes can be had for the same money or less. By which I mean, more power, water cooling, better fuel consumption and range, better service intervals, more storage, more protection etc. The CBF1000 is an old model that I believe is discontinued so I'm not surprised they are discounting it. I remember reading a test about the VFR800X that mentioned "I don't know why anyone would buy the CBF1000 now, since it is the same price but the VFR is so much superior". It could be a personal thing though. Another bike similar to the CBF is the Suzuki Bandit 1250, it's probably even cheaper, offers the same things, plus maybe a bit more. But ... similar, somewhat bland styling.

I would recommend that you wait, I think the winter weather took its toll on you, once the weather warms up (very soon I hope) you will not miss the protection as much, but will really appreciate the beauty of your bike every time you look at it! :)
 
Hey if you do decide to move on, since I can't find a distributor here in the states for the Fehling rack for the DLX, maybe we could figure something out?
 
Thread starter
Just ordered a brand new CBF1000FA in sword silver metallic with 2x 29l luggage and heated grips. Will be delivered from Honda to the dealership next week or the week after.

I'm excited. :clap:
 
Django_imp said:
Just ordered a brand new CBF1000FA in sword silver metallic with 2x 29l luggage and heated grips. Will be delivered from Honda to the dealership next week or the week after.

I'm excited. :clap:

Congratulations...Please post pictures when it arrives. :beerchug:

Wow! You should be! I just Googled that bike, it looks really nice. Good for 100 or 1000 mile days! We don't have the option of buying it here in the U.S.

 
Django_imp said:
Just ordered a brand new CBF1000FA in sword silver metallic with 2x 29l luggage and heated grips. Will be delivered from Honda to the dealership next week or the week after.

I'm excited. :clap:
Congratulations! I know you will like the CBF1000.

I had a 2009 CBF1000A MK1 in silver as well. It was a great, economical, sport touring bike with durable finishes and was easy to keep clean. I kind of regret only keeping it for a couple of years.

The cbf1000.com forum will be very helpful and welcoming. The Italian built CBF1000 is a favorite of many Brits and Germans. It was available in Canada too, but not in U.S.A.

When you start looking for a new, larger, and quieter windscreen for the CBF1000 (as most riders do), check out the CALSCI.com website.
The 2009 Silver CBF1000A shown there was mine (before I installed the Akrapovic exhaust)...did I mention that I still miss that bike? ;)
 
Thread starter
Mine will look like this one, plus the panniers, but no topcase.

053e36d6e0fccd3adee8c922ed45401e.jpg


For sure I'll send pics as soon as available.
 
Beautiful bike Django and congrats. I wish we had some of the choices the rest of the world seems to get.

btw talked to my son last night, I will pm you
 
Congratulations, Django. Looks a fine motorcycle.

We've had the CBF1000 in Australia, but not for a while. I see there's a new CBF600 available.
 
In my opinion, the CB 1100 is NOT a bike for long trips..say 4-800 miles. Better for 1-250 miles (each way) with an overnight bag. A touring bike with fairing is suited for that kind of riding. Road salt, etc will eat just about any unfaired bike. You made a good switch.
 
Lovely bike Django and a pity we can't get one in the US. Best of luck with it and please hang around on the forum so we can hear about what we are missing.:beerchug:
 
He has to hang around, he's running the mileage thingy!
 
Jeff the CB CBX guy_imp said:
In my opinion, the CB 1100 is NOT a bike for long trips..say 4-800 miles. Better for 1-250 miles (each way) with an overnight bag. A touring bike with fairing is suited for that kind of riding. Road salt, etc will eat just about any unfaired bike. You made a good switch.
That's the funny (and great) thing about motorcycles and the people that ride them. I have the exact oposite opinion of these CB11's. Mine will be my long range bike.

My CB11 reminds me a lot of a cross between two of my favorite bikes I've personally owned and ridden high milages on, my 2009 XR1200 and 1994 FXR.

I've had touring and adventure bikes that I've put long range milage on, but was not happy while in the process.

I've always been happier doing long distance on 'standard' motorcycles.

I suspect, this bike will be no different than those Harley's.

Life is a strange trip! :thumbsup:
 
Django_imp said:
Mine will look like this one, plus the panniers, but no topcase.

053e36d6e0fccd3adee8c922ed45401e.jpg


For sure I'll send pics as soon as available.
that is a beauty- I love the look of that, and adding panniers- perfect.
congrats !!
 
Seems to be the motorcycle for you.
I understand the reason why you change.

Don't get me wrong, but the CB is not a bike
for everyone for a long time.

Enjoy the ride on a new Honda.
In German we have a saying, new brushes sweep well.
"Neue Besen kehren gut." Let is sweep well.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top