CB750 and CB1100

736cc_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm wondering what percentage of CB1100 owners previously owned an early sohc4 CB750 or rode motorcycles in the 1970's? Honda seems to have marketed the CB1100 to that group of riders, its retro but modern. They sure got my attention!
I've owned and restored some nice examples of early CB750's over the years, this was my 1st one:


Riding impressions between the new and old, the 1st things that comes to mind is the smoother throttle response from the fuel injection, the 2nd thing is the improved front brake. More power, especially at low rpm's.

And please post pics of your old rides!
 
736cc_imp said:
I'm wondering what percentage of CB1100 owners previously owned an early sohc4 CB750 or rode motorcycles in the 1970's? Honda seems to have marketed the CB1100 to that group of riders, its retro but modern. They sure got my attention!
I've owned and restored some nice examples of early CB750's over the years, this was my 1st one:


Riding impressions between the new and old, the 1st things that comes to mind is the smoother throttle response from the fuel injection, the 2nd thing is the improved front brake. More power, especially at low rpm's.

And please post pics of your old rides!
I owned a 500T, 2 550's and a 1977 750 I mentioned in a few threads i had been looking for a clean 70's 750, glad they brought this bike to the US market. I Have to try to dig up a pic of my 750
 
Damn that's a gorgeous resto. I'd love one like it, or better still, the CB550 I commuted to college on from '74 to '76. It was a 40-mile run from the coast to Orlando, and that CB was perfect for it. Hauled ass, great fuel economy, and no matter how many trips I made on it, I'd start pumping adrenaline on my way to the bike.

So yeah, I rode in the '70's. My first was a Yamaha R5 350 two-smoke. Neat bike that was too; I want one of those more than another CB...now that I have the 11!
 
Owned 2 motorcyles in the mid 70's. A Yamaha 500 cc.
And a Triumph Bonneyville { worst bike I ever bought }
The Bonneyville looked really great but had a kick start and
pathetic brakes and shook like all the Dickens.
Had nice Lucas Instrumentation though.
 

I went from a CL 160 to a CB 350 to a CB 750 to a V65 Sabre, and I still wish I had each one of them. Like many here, I was looking for a nice 70s Honda. Didn't really want the 70s technology or headaches. So that made the CB 1100 a perfect choice. Can anyone tell me if the 1100 is smaller overall than the 750?? It seems like a 7/8 scale model or something. Except for my waistline, I don't think I've grown any since the 70s. I also realize that 3 decades can have an effect on memories.

Thanks,
Allen K.
 
I had a 76 CB 750 K6 Candy red of course..

Also a 160, a 305, A 350, a 450 and a 2000 Nighthawk 750
 
The guy i bought my kids z50 from was restoring an early cb750. I think he said it had 11k on the engine. He said from looking in at the intake and exhaust it all looked good. was running when he started the restoration. I hope to be able to buy it when he's finished.
 
I never owned a CB back in the day... I had 2 Yamaha's and 2 Kawasaki's back then... A Yamaha CT175 and DT250... followed by the Kawasaki H1 500 and KZ400.
But never a 4 cylinder Honda or Kawasaki. Which is precisely why I bought the CB11 as soon as it became available!
 
Obliviontoad_imp said:
Oh my. 2 restorable CB750s on the Craigslist near me. Must resist...
I was amazed that YouTube has a whole lot of videos of
750 cc bikes converted into café racers.
 
I have a "75" cb 750 and a "75" gl1000 that I've restored. Fun bikes to ride. Dad had bought the first "69" cb750 sold at Grear"s in Zanesville, Ohio. No proof to show, but I know it was a sandcast. Got to ride it after I got my mc indorsment in the spring after I turned 16 which was in 1972. He turned it into a hardtail chopper in 1973.
 
First bike was 70-71 CL350, traded soon for my first SERIOUS bike, 71 CB750, next to my wife--the love of my life. I sold it back in the 70's and have tried to buy it back several times from the guy who still owns it. He will not release his grip on it, which is good because I would significantly over pay to have it back. This CB1100 is really the next best thing. Retro but better technology. I really don't miss the oil dripping chain or the changing points or throttle body synching with the four-dial apparatus sitting in my tool box.;)
 
Previous bike to CB11 was an '83 CB650 Nighthawk (also bought new), which I enjoyed immensely. With the lone exception of hydraulic valves, the '11 is superior in every way.
 

Rolls_imp said:
Previous bike to CB11 was an '83 CB650 Nighthawk (also bought new), which I enjoyed immensely. With the lone exception of hydraulic valves, the '11 is superior in every way.
The bikes of my youth include; Honda 50, Honda 305 scrambler, Honda CL 450, Honda CB 450, Honda CB 750, Honda 360t, Honda Nighthawk 650, 250, 750, 750, 250, 750 and yet another 750. A couple of Triumph Bonnevilles and now the Grand CB1100. The smoothest, most powerful and best of all of them (although they were all dream bikes at the time). To be honest it all began when watching Steve McQueen jump that German fence in "The Great Escape". I tried to play that one out on my 305 many times.
 
I had a '71 K1. I also had a '75 CB750F and a '76 Gold Wing GL1000.
Throw in a '78 XS11, a few Nortons (3 or 4), Bonnevilles (at least 7), a Royal Enfield Interceptor 750, a Ducati Demo Head, two Ducati singles and a handful of Harleys and I've had a decent collection over the years.
 
Back
Top