CB500FABS 2016

gmike_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Have been looking at one of these pretty hard as an around town/winter bike. It would probably never leave the county. No passenger.

Would NOT replace my beloved CB1100.

Been searching the web and here and cant find any issues.

Anyone have any thoughts ? Pro or con ?

Mike
 
I think Papa Weeley has its brother the 500x and really likes it.
 
gmike_imp said:
Have been looking at one of these pretty hard as an around town/winter bike. It would probably never leave the county. No passenger.

Would NOT replace my beloved CB1100.

Been searching the web and here and cant find any issues.

Anyone have any thoughts ? Pro or con ?

Mike
Never heard anything bad about it. Looks really good this year, bigger gas tank, some other improvements. Twins are easy to ride, too. I like this and the FZ-07...for my dough I'd get the Yamaha though, but no ABS on that one.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I think Papa Weeley has its brother the 500x and really likes it.
Thanks Mr. Ferret. Been banging around on the inet some more, I'm getting that feeling (bike fever). Will PM Mr. Wheeley and see his thoughts between the F or X.

Mike
[/QUOTE]Never heard anything bad about it. Looks really good this year, bigger gas tank, some other improvements. Twins are easy to ride, too. I like this and the FZ-07...for my dough I'd get the Yamaha though, but no ABS on that one.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, My favorite dealer has the F/ABS with $500 Honda bucks off. Looking more and more like that's the way I will go. We do have a good Yam dealer in the area also. Tomorrow I will stop by the Yam dealer and look at the FZ-07. Still need to at least see the CB500X and compare it with the F. Will have to do that at the dealer way across town. I got the fever.

Mike
 
I had CB500F for a while... boring as heck. Good commuter, fun to flog around to an extent, but meh. I have FZ07 now- it is a night and day difference with the 500. Yamaha has character, personality, and a heartbeat. It has good power, and is a lot more fun to ride in the city, on the highway, in the twisties and on the racetrack.
 
co6aka_imp said:
I had CB500F for a while... boring as heck. Good commuter, fun to flog around to an extent, but meh. I have FZ07 now- it is a night and day difference with the 500. Yamaha has character, personality, and a heartbeat. It has good power, and is a lot more fun to ride in the city, on the highway, in the twisties and on the racetrack.
Not much more money, and a lot more performance. How are the brakes, by the way? The specs seem to show they'd be very good especially for such a light bike. But no ABS. For me ABS is not desirable so the FZ-07 would be a great choice, but not in the market for a bike.

I am seeing a lot of FZ-07s at track days, and very few, if any, FZ-09s. The 07 handles exceptionally well with some suspension work. Also takes modern rubber in optimal sizes.

Just some things to consider when buying. If ABS is a must then Honda is the only way to go. Otherwise, to me, no contest.
 
Been looking for another bike myself- specifically for mountains and some lite off road. Tried numerous thumpers but found them too top heavy and large for my needs, same with Vstrom and Tigers. Stumbled on the NC700x and CB500x, rode both. NC700x a very nice and sane bike, good choice for a lot of things and priced quite attractively on the used market.Nice features.

Decided on the CB500x for several reasons, among them the fact that it compliments the CB1100 rather than competes with or replaces it. As nimble a bike as I've ridden in a long time and the smaller displacement was a pleasant and unexpected change. Solid engineering and trouble free. Local motorcycle mechanic laughed and said it beats the heck out of many of the large displacement Starbucks bikes that he regularly sees. Several new old stock models available at a good price. I found a local used one that hopefully will end up in my garage soon. Hard to find on the used market, many folks are spending big bucks on serious suspension upgrades, Rally Raid and Giant Loop.

Only differences between the F and X models I'm aware of are minor egrgos and slightly longer suspension on the X. Good solid bikes but do lack the panache of quite a few larger displacement bikes. If you already ride a CB1100 then your ego is under control.
Yamaha has an excellent 700 and 900cc engine and looks like they are expanding their model line, if you aren't in a hurry and your budget is flexible they are worth a serious look.
Good luck, post up what you find.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
co6aka_imp said:
I had CB500F for a while... boring as heck. Good commuter, fun to flog around to an extent, but meh. I have FZ07 now- it is a night and day difference with the 500. Yamaha has character, personality, and a heartbeat. It has good power, and is a lot more fun to ride in the city, on the highway, in the twisties and on the racetrack.
Not much more money, and a lot more performance. How are the brakes, by the way? The specs seem to show they'd be very good especially for such a light bike. But no ABS. For me ABS is not desirable so the FZ-07 would be a great choice, but not in the market for a bike.

I am seeing a lot of FZ-07s at track days, and very few, if any, FZ-09s. The 07 handles exceptionally well with some suspension work. Also takes modern rubber in optimal sizes.

Just some things to consider when buying. If ABS is a must then Honda is the only way to go. Otherwise, to me, no contest.
Brakes are fine. Originally fronts felt a bit spongy, but no longer. They're certainly no worse than the 500's brakes; strong and predictable. In aggressive braking you could lock the rear and fishtail a little... for me it's fun.
 
gmike_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I think Papa Weeley has its brother the 500x and really likes it.
Thanks Mr. Ferret. Been banging around on the inet some more, I'm getting that feeling (bike fever). Will PM Mr. Wheeley and see his thoughts between the F or X.

Mike
Never heard anything bad about it. Looks really good this year, bigger gas tank, some other improvements. Twins are easy to ride, too. I like this and the FZ-07...for my dough I'd get the Yamaha though, but no ABS on that one.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, My favorite dealer has the F/ABS with $500 Honda bucks off. Looking more and more like that's the way I will go. We do have a good Yam dealer in the area also. Tomorrow I will stop by the Yam dealer and look at the FZ-07. Still need to at least see the CB500X and compare it with the F. Will have to do that at the dealer way across town. I got the fever.

Mike
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Mr. Ferret. Been banging around on the inet some more, I'm getting that feeling (bike fever). Will PM Mr. Wheeley and see his thoughts between the F or X.

Mike
Just happened to see this, and thought I'd chime in.
I have to say that the 500x is a lot more comfy for my 6' frame than its two siblings. More upright, more legroom, etc., and the fairing is a very welcome addition. Great handling bike, too. Lightweight, and very "flickable". Great brakes - although a little wooden feeling at first, once bedded in, they're quite good. The suspension isn't on a par with the CB1100; you'll feel all of hard jolts, but around town, on decent streets, it's very comfortable. The extra travel and slightly different frame geometry from the other two 500s obviously works really well. And the stock seat may be the only one I won't be changing out of all the bikes I've had in the past 20 years for an aftermarket unit - it's that good.
I love the little sucker. Was one of those bikes that you sit on the first time, and just say, "ahhhh..." For around town, it's perfect. There are lots of guys on the CB500 forum that do long-distance touring on it, but to be honest, that doesn't sound like a very pleasurable option to me, unless you're taking all lower speed back roads.
Over all I'd say it's one of THE best options out there for a second bike to the CB1100 - cheap, fun, and comfortable.
Here's my thread about it here, for more info, pics, etc.: Honda CB500x

Best of luck with your shopping! :thumbsup:
 
Looked at one today, sat on it. Really, really liked it. Heavier than the FZ-07, a lot less power, but seems like it would be a very easy bike to ride and I felt that the suspension would be quite good, and quite upgradeable if desired. One could wring it out and have a good time. Very good mileage, I'm sure. I think it'd be a bike that would be very easy to live with.
 
My wife has a 2013 CBR500R, which has the same engine as the CB500F. She has ridden over 10K miles and has averaged 80.9 mpg (calculated, not computer mpg). Crazy! She loves the handling. The only negative is the transmission. Unless I lube the shift lever pivot every 500 miles it occasionally doesn't want to downshift, especially the 6-5 shift and she has to let the clutch out a bit to get it to complete the shift. Not fun when you're making a fast stop. Other than that it's been a great, low maintenance bike. She keeps up fine with my FZ6R but has a little more trouble keeping up now with the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
rickcb_imp said:
My wife has a 2013 CBR500R, which has the same engine as the CB500F. She has ridden over 10K miles and has averaged 80.9 mpg (calculated, not computer mpg). Crazy! She loves the handling. The only negative is the transmission. Unless I lube the shift lever pivot every 500 miles it occasionally doesn't want to downshift, especially the 6-5 shift and she has to let the clutch out a bit to get it to complete the shift. Not fun when you're making a fast stop. Other than that it's been a great, low maintenance bike. She keeps up fine with my FZ6R but has a little more trouble keeping up now with the CB1100.
Thank you rickcb and all who responded above. This has all helped me in my decision to get the 2016 CB500X. The Honda bucks were off the 2015 model which I failed from the start to notice but the dealer is willing to sell me the 2016 for $400 over the 2015 sale price. Only thing that would hold it up is what the dealer will give me on my trade-in. Anything close to what I expect to see and it is done. Taking my 2008 Triumph America in to them in the morning to see.

Thanks again all,

Mike
 
gmike_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
My wife has a 2013 CBR500R, which has the same engine as the CB500F. She has ridden over 10K miles and has averaged 80.9 mpg (calculated, not computer mpg). Crazy! She loves the handling. The only negative is the transmission. Unless I lube the shift lever pivot every 500 miles it occasionally doesn't want to downshift, especially the 6-5 shift and she has to let the clutch out a bit to get it to complete the shift. Not fun when you're making a fast stop. Other than that it's been a great, low maintenance bike. She keeps up fine with my FZ6R but has a little more trouble keeping up now with the CB1100.
Thank you rickcb and all who responded above. This has all helped me in my decision to get the 2016 CB500X. The Honda bucks were off the 2015 model which I failed from the start to notice but the dealer is willing to sell me the 2016 for $400 over the 2015 sale price. Only thing that would hold it up is what the dealer will give me on my trade-in. Anything close to what I expect to see and it is done. Taking my 2008 Triumph America in to them in the morning to see.

Thanks again all,

Mike
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Done deal. The 2016 CB500X now sets in my garage.

I must say it was the easiest ride home on a new bike I can remember. Everything just fit. Pure comfort and joy. This bike exceeds in everything I got it for. And I feel like a kid on it.

Like Papa said above "I love the little sucker".

Thanks to all for helping me with my decision.

Mike
 
Thread starter
Hey gmike - how about an update about what you think, since hopefully you've put a few miles on the girl? ;)



I only have a little over 250 miles on it. Great gas mileage, everything works and fits me well, wind screen and all. I am 5-10 and it feels like it was built for me. I carefully topped off this tank of gas and will check the mileage, I am thinking it will be well over 70 (2nd tank).

Yep, you could say I am tickled with it :)

Mike
 
Back
Top