CB350

Conrods did bend when people put their CBX on the side stand with the petcock open and gas slowly dripped into the left cylinder causing a hydraulic lock when they started the engine. This was on the 1979 CBX , on the 1980 they put a vacuum operated petcock on but this than gave a worse starting as you had to create a vacuum to get the gas flowing . On my 1980 CBX's I by passed the vacuum pet cock as I always closed the pet cock.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Conrods did bend when people put their CBX on the side stand with the petcock open and gas slowly dripped into the left cylinder causing a hydraulic lock when they started the engine. This was on the 1979 CBX , on the 1980 they put a vacuum operated petcock on but this than gave a worse starting as you had to create a vacuum to get the gas flowing . On my 1980 CBX's I by passed the vacuum pet cock as I always closed the pet cock.
If all the stars aligned, as I recall. If the bike was on the side stand, if the gas was left on, if one or more float needles leaked, if the tank wasn't low, if #1 cylinder was not on the exhaust stroke, if the crank were in the right position, if the carb plenum drain was blocked, if it leaked enough to fill the plenum, then if enough gas overflowed into the #1 cylinder, then it could cause hydrolock. And it did more often than you might think. That's why it only happened on cylinder #1. The dealer I worked at did about 15-20 with rod knocks or holed engine cases.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hopefully in a few years it will be available as a 350 Twin then I will get one.

For the time being that CB1100 weight (550lbs) is acceptable, however, in a few years when I get older it may be too heavy for me :dodgy:

Or may be get an old CB350 Twin (K5 Gold) and rebuild it?

Regards
Alain

Picture of my 79 CBX rebuild by the new owner.
Sold both the 79 and 82 as they were getting too heavy at over 600 lbs each.
Is that the one with bent con rod??
Is that the one with bent con rod??
Yes, PB, it's the bike with the bent con rod.
The bike was sold and rebuild by Lash's friend in Halifax.
He bought both the 79 and 82 bike that I owned.
As a hobby he rebuilds CBX's - Great job.
CBX spare parts are so expensive that I gave up on it.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Hopefully in a few years it will be available as a 350 Twin then I will get one.

For the time being that CB1100 weight (550lbs) is acceptable, however, in a few years when I get older it may be too heavy for me :dodgy:

Or may be get an old CB350 Twin (K5 Gold) and rebuild it?

Regards
Alain

Picture of my 79 CBX rebuild by the new owner.
Sold both the 79 and 82 as they were getting too heavy at over 600 lbs each.
Is that the one with bent con rod??
Is that the one with bent con rod??
Yes, PB, it's the bike with the bent con rod.
The bike was sold and rebuild by Lash's friend in Halifax.
He bought both the 79 and 82 bike that I owned.
As a hobby he rebuilds CBX's - Great job.
CBX spare parts are so expensive that I gave up on it.
Is that the one with bent con rod??
Yes, PB, it's the bike with the bent con rod.
The bike was sold and rebuild by Lash's friend in Halifax.
He bought both the 79 and 82 bike that I owned.
As a hobby he rebuilds CBX's - Great job.
CBX spare parts are so expensive that I gave up on it.
OK, thanks.
That Halifax guy has an excellent reputation. He used to live here and recently moved to Halifax.
 
I believe I mentioned here on the Forum before, that Honda USA does check this Forum from time to time to see what we would like. I have called them 3 times about wanting the CB1100RS here, and other Hondas that appeal to us, older riders. I told them no NEW Hondas for me if they keep looking like transformers. I think we should all call them and make our wishes known. I too would buy a nice 500 in-line twin if it looked like a motorcycle. How about it? Do we have the time. I did 3 times already, they probably have me blocked. Just a joke.
 
I dunno, Michael, it might have some result.

My weirdo cousin wrote a letter to Ford, telling them that he'd happily buy a GT500 if it didn't cost six figures. They sent him a Ford key ring and a nice note thanking him for his input. Maybe Honda will send you a key ring! :)
 
Agreed! Compared to the Kawasaki Ninja 400, The CB400 makes 10hp more and about the same torque. The CB is 70lbs heavier, though. Even though I'm not a fan of the 919 (Hornet) style tank, it's a HONDA!
 
No comparison between the Super Four and the Ninja for me. One is a good looking standard, the other a "sport bike". The 350 is a looker too but I would prefer the extra cc's of the 400. I have a 300, and where it can be fun, there are a lot of areas I would like a tad more umph.
 
I haven't ridden either a Super Four or a new Ninja 400, but 2 months ago I got to ride a Yamaha YZF-R3, a 320cc 270 degree twin, for 200 miles o freeway, streets and canyons, and the engine was pleasantly torquey, and even though it was turning 8000rpm at 70mph, not too buzzy.

I can imagine the Ninja 400 puts out more overall power and torque, but I am not usually a fan of 180 degree cranks.

I imagine the Super Four is today's equivalent of a 1990s Honda CB-1 or Suzuki Bandit 400, both of which I hated for their peaky power curve (and terrible fuel metering). The Bandit looked better, but ran a little worse. Having to rev to 5000 rpm just to take off from a stoplight got old quickly.

Today, I'll take a 350 as a single, maybe a 270 degree twin, as long as they are counterbalanced.
 
I stumbled upon this very detailed and seemingly honest comparison review by an Indian team between 3 very similar and good-looking bikes: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 vs Honda H'ness CB350 vs Benelli Imperiale 400. None of them are available in North America, I believe, although there are some rumours that RE is considering bringing the Meteor to the USA.

To my surprise the RE won this comparison, partly due to its 1692 (!) dealers in India...

LINK
 
bioman_imp said:
I stumbled upon this very detailed and seemingly honest comparison review by an Indian team between 3 very similar and good-looking bikes: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 vs Honda H'ness CB350 vs Benelli Imperiale 400. None of them are available in North America, I believe, although there are some rumours that RE is considering bringing the Meteor to the USA.

To my surprise the RE won this comparison, partly due to its 1692 (!) dealers in India...

LINK
Neat. Will check it out.
 
bioman_imp said:
I stumbled upon this very detailed and seemingly honest comparison review by an Indian team between 3 very similar and good-looking bikes: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 vs Honda H'ness CB350 vs Benelli Imperiale 400. None of them are available in North America, I believe, although there are some rumours that RE is considering bringing the Meteor to the USA.

To my surprise the RE won this comparison, partly due to its 1692 (!) dealers in India...

LINK

That was one of the best comparison tests I've seen on any bikes. I still would love to have the Honda. Did you see the side-saddle accommodations on the left rear of all 3?
 
pekingduck_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
I stumbled upon this very detailed and seemingly honest comparison review by an Indian team between 3 very similar and good-looking bikes: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 vs Honda H'ness CB350 vs Benelli Imperiale 400. None of them are available in North America, I believe, although there are some rumours that RE is considering bringing the Meteor to the USA.

To my surprise the RE won this comparison, partly due to its 1692 (!) dealers in India...

LINK

That was one of the best comparison tests I've seen on any bikes. I still would love to have the Honda. Did you see the side-saddle accommodations on the left rear of all 3?

Yes: those are saree-guards. Very handy (and potentially life-saving) in India for female passengers.
 
Back
Top