CB1100EX for a new rider? (my daughter)

Thread starter
Well.... I've been spending more time that I'd like turning the wrench on my 20 year old 1200C, and I knew that sooner or later I'd give in.

A couple of test rides later and I finally did it. A couple of things stand out to me. First, I'm really surprised at how well the bike does at speed without a windscreen. Not sure why this would be, but it's significantly better than the BMW. Second, everything just....works.... Looks and feels great. Ideal for how I'll be using it. Glad I didn't pick this one to be the CA bike. I'd be spending all my time wishing I was there riding it.

Picked it up toady. I'd still be riding it if it weren't for the fact that it started raining. It's not like you guys haven't seen one before, but here it is....

709a8e9a599ae020287651360f10e62c.jpg


c939383fd56a81077a39b59bb4e9d84e.jpg


9719ba13db11046748535ef693d31e70.jpg


I should have known better than to test ride one. Surprisingly, there was only one '17 within a 50 mile radius. Several new old-stock black '14s to be had locally. It's a personal thing, but the looks of the red '17 made it worth passing up on the (significantly) better deals to be had with '14s.
Oh.... and when did they decide that tank stickers were the thing to do? When I got the Yamaha, I figured it was a California thing. I was pleasantly surprised while on my test drives to notice that the CB1100 didn't have tank stickers. It must be a dealer installed thing though because I noticed them 10 minutes into my ride home. Fortunately they didn't have much time to set up. Came off clean and easy, but if I left them on another day or two, it would have been a mess...

Looks infinitely better without. Is it a law or something?

7858bd396689e7cd3fdeb78b092ea8e4.jpg
 
Congrats on the new bike, Tommy! She's a beauty.

Weird about the tank stickers. I've seen several '13 and '14 models in the crate (including mine) and they had factory applied stickers.

I think if dealers around here actually allowed test rides, they'd probably sell more of these. The CB11 is one of those bikes that doesn't look so outstanding on paper, but once you ride it, you say "Oh, I get it!".
 
Flynrider Wrote:I think if dealers around here actually allowed test rides, they'd probably sell more of these.
Absolutely. In fact, I'll go one step further. If dealers actually encouraged test rides, they way all dealerships do in the car business, they would sell buttloads of CB1100s.
 
Yep, we've seen photos before, but a pic of CB1100 is like a sunset photo...I don't grow tired of 'em!

Congrats.
 
The tank sticker on my CB lasted a few minutes out of the crate (factory applied).
It came off easy.
Removing stickers on my Moto Guzzi V7II was a very irritating project: So many, in stupid places and NOT easy to remove.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
So.. did you buy this bike for yourself or your daughter? confused by the thread title.
Haha.... Originally I was considering getting the CB1100EX and keeping it in CA for the once a month that I visit my daughter. She got her license recently there and my thought was that it might be something that she could ride also. The consensus (correctly I think) was that it would be too much bike for a new rider. I still couldn't get it out of my head though, so I got it for me at home....
VLJ_imp said:
Flynrider Wrote:I think if dealers around here actually allowed test rides, they'd probably sell more of these.
Absolutely. In fact, I'll go one step further. If dealers actually encouraged test rides, they way all dealerships do in the car business, they would sell buttloads of CB1100s.
Absolutely. In fact, I'll go one step further. If dealers actually encouraged test rides, they way all dealerships do in the car business, they would sell buttloads of CB1100s.
The local dealer was great. First thing he suggested when he saw me looking at the bike was to take a test ride. The procedure 'round these parts is that they ride with you on another bike and have you follow them around the area. Really smart actually because they seem to know the best routes and it's very nice. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if I didn't ride the thing. Surprising to hear that dealers don't encourage this. The local BMW dealer does the same thing...
 
BMW has offered demo bikes for decades, at least in the U.S. The dealers around here let you keep the bike all day, and even take it home overnight if you wish.

Congrats on your CB! She's a beauty!
 
tommymck_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
So.. did you buy this bike for yourself or your daughter? confused by the thread title.
Haha.... Originally I was considering getting the CB1100EX and keeping it in CA for the once a month that I visit my daughter. She got her license recently there and my thought was that it might be something that she could ride also. The consensus (correctly I think) was that it would be too much bike for a new rider. I still couldn't get it out of my head though, so I got it for me at home....
VLJ_imp said:
Flynrider Wrote:I think if dealers around here actually allowed test rides, they'd probably sell more of these.
Absolutely. In fact, I'll go one step further. If dealers actually encouraged test rides, they way all dealerships do in the car business, they would sell buttloads of CB1100s.
Absolutely. In fact, I'll go one step further. If dealers actually encouraged test rides, they way all dealerships do in the car business, they would sell buttloads of CB1100s.
The local dealer was great. First thing he suggested when he saw me looking at the bike was to take a test ride. The procedure 'round these parts is that they ride with you on another bike and have you follow them around the area. Really smart actually because they seem to know the best routes and it's very nice. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if I didn't ride the thing. Surprising to hear that dealers don't encourage this. The local BMW dealer does the same thing...
Typical for H-D dealers.
LongRanger_imp said:
BMW has offered demo bikes for decades, at least in the U.S. The dealers around here let you keep the bike all day, and even take it home overnight if you wish.

Congrats on your CB! She's a beauty!
In 2012 I rode a R1200R for a couple of hours, courtesy of the local BMW dealer. They have since changed ownership, so I do not know if that is still policy.

My CB had to be uncrated to be ridden.
 
I was lucky that I bought used from a dealer, so no problem riding it. I wasn't sure I wanted to get rid of my G650GS, there was a lot to like there, but after 2 blocks and a round a bout on the CB1100, I knew I was getting a new bike. LOL Still wish I could have kept the BMW too.
 
Congratulations, tommy. Lovely bike.
 
Congrats tommy. Beautiful bike and easy to love once you've ridden one.

I do believe the stickers are put on at the factory. have never seen one in a crate or showroom without them.
 
Ferret, I guess it’s possible the tank was damaged and replaced. Then it wouldn’t have stickers unless they ordered and applied them. Dealers do have accidents sometimes.
 
Stickers?
There are stickers on my fuel tank?
Went to the garage and pulled off the dust cover.
Stickers!
Rode 10,850 kilometers last year and never noticed them.
 
Congrats Tommy. Never get tired of looking of photos of CBs of any stripe. Eye candy for all of us.

Enjoy the new ride!
 
Thread starter
So, now you guys have me questioning if the stickers were on from the beginning. I dunno....maybe they were there all along and I just never noticed (even though I thought I noticed that they weren't there....) In any case, they came off likedy split. On to more important topics. The weather supports riding the bike to work tomorrow!
 
tommymck_imp said:
Hi All,

Hopefully this doesn't double post, but it looks like my original post didn't take. Anyway, here is my question....

I've been riding my entire life. I currently have a BMW 1200 GS and an old but minty beautiful R1200C.

After College, my daughter moved to the left coast and surprising to me (she was never much interested in riding as a kid) she took a safety course and got her motorcycle license.

Her thinking is that she wanted to buy a cheap Rebel off of Craigs List and asked that I check some bikes out when I visited. As background, I get out there once a month on business, and have often thought that I wouldn't mind having a bike out there for me when I visit.

So, I checked out these Rebels and they scared the bejeeebeees out of me when riding them (not to mention the fact that the ones she was looking at had carburetors and didn't like to start in spite of the warm SoCal weather) . I can't imagine riding such a small bike on the freeway. Now my daughter's commute is 5 miles on surface streets, so it wouldn't be crazy I guess, but such a small bike seems scary to me.

I've been interested in the CB100EX myself and have done some test rides locally. The bike is a big friendly teddy bear of a motorcycle with impeccable manners. And my daughter is very responsible so I'm not worried about her going crazy on it.....

The question is if it's outrageous to think that a new (but very responsible) female could handle the 1100EX? She's 5'8 with long legs, so I don't think that height would be too much of an issue. I'd hate to encourage her to ride it if it were too much though. Food for thought anyway. My daughter's ideal would be something like a used SR400 with the kick starter. Sounds good in principle, but having tried one on the road, it blows around a bunch.

Thoughts appreciated...
You know, if she grasps counter steering and the other motorcycle stuff, she will be fine. A cb500f is a handsome bike. It would not be bad either and is a good bit lighter. The new rebels are really nice and super user friendly, but the position is kind of chopper-like. If you drop them, there is not much to break. Weight is the only thing with the CB1100, but it is the same for us as it is for her, so why not? The SR400 is just so, so cool, but evidently, like you said, it has a lot of windage, and not enough highway power. It is hard to avoid highways these days, and get anywhere. Sr400 is an around-towner with scooter-like top end. PCX-150 is just as fast, nice and cheap to operate. Replacement plastics are very, very inexpensive. I know cuz my missus piled hers up. Got all the plastics replaced for less than US$200. It is not a motorbike though.

Sometimes, to be safe, one has to be able to just twist it to squirt out of potential trouble, so sufficient power is a safety thing. Excess power too !! Just thoughts, as you asked.
I bet we would all be shocked at how many women's first bike was a Harley-Davidson. Not that reason is playing any part in that decision making.
 
VLJ_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Except for the slightly waspish looking rear end and the transformer headlight, the CB 500F is generally a good looking motorcycle. I've sat on one at the dealership,very nice, low seat, light weight like redbirds says.
And the 650 version with its waterfall pipes looks even better...

37c48a25e830ac9fddb82e60e30df997.jpg


Among the various Hondas, the 650F would be the one I'd recommend for a noob who will use it for commuting, particularly if freeway riding is ever going to become part of the equation. For city-only work, sure, the 500F is perfectly acceptable, and maybe even better, since it's cheaper, lighter, and less powerful.
And the 650 version with its waterfall pipes looks even better...

e658df0b18703486f9d7d6f5784b9474.jpg


Among the various Hondas, the 650F would be the one I'd recommend for a noob who will use it for commuting, particularly if freeway riding is ever going to become part of the equation. For city-only work, sure, the 500F is perfectly acceptable, and maybe even better, since it's cheaper, lighter, and less powerful.
I have to say watch out with the 650. I have the faired version and it goes like all get out. I have had it to 120 mph and it was not even breathing hard. a twist of the wrist and you are up over 95 like nothing. It is a hooligan wheelie machine. I would stick with the others here who recommend the cb500, or even a faired 500 or 300. They are much more pleasant at speed on the autobahns.
the other caveat about the cb1100, is, while it is a pretty well-mannered bike, first and especially second are tall gears. When I first had it, I did the normal counter-steer and slowest possible roll on throttle in a slow turn, like turning a corner. In second gear a slow roll on is a few turns of the crankshaft for the CB1100. The way the cb1100 delivers torque combined with the taller gear makes this a hairier proposition. I was wrestling it down to the ground by both horns and practically had to put both feet on the inside peg just to stay in my lane, to avoid having to chop the throttle. She can learn better "Twist of the wrist" - type good riding technique, and master counter-steering on something else first, that can deliver a slow throttle roll-on through a slow turn.
 
Back
Top