CB1100EX for a new rider? (my daughter)

The ferret_imp said:
what is that jtopiso? We don't have those in the US I am aware of. Nice looking bike though.
It’s described as a CBF 500. Isn’t that the CB500F?
Google
 
My wife started out on a 2013 CBR250R with fuel injection last year. Lowered to 30" seat height and lightweight make it a great starter bike.

Of course she quickly outgrew it riding everyday and upgraded to an CTX700N by the end of summer. I now have her old bike to sell this spring. Located near Seattle.
279a2ade17e97101a9c58eb127493184.jpg
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
what is that jtopiso? We don't have those in the US I am aware of. Nice looking bike though.
It’s described as a CBF 500. Isn’t that the CB500F?
Google
It’s described as a CBF 500. Isn’t that the CB500F?
Google
Ours looks much different than that with a transformer style headlight, different exhaust etc
 
being a rider for 55 years and owning an riding many sizes and types of motorcycles and coming from a dealership from the early 1960, I taught a lot of new owners to ride. I would not recommend the size of a cb1100 or other mfg's machines for a new owner/rider. it's just to much to handle in a learning curve. it only takes a couple of mistakes to take the joy out of motorcycling while learning and now the motorcycle is no longer wanted because the new owner/rider has been spooked.
my own #2 street bike is the Honda cb500x. this midsize machine does everything well and is often my first choice when riding in unfamiliar territory. I think if I had the need I would also own a Honda cb500f but my aged riding needs requires a bike that I am not to worried about getting dirty. so my advice for a new owner/rider would be the cb500f or the cb500x, you just can't go wrong with either.
Paul
 
Regardless of how well a CB500 is as a beginners bike (I don’t disagree), tommymck has stated multiple times that his daughter is not into the praying mantis Transformer look. Which means she doesn’t want one. Just sayin.
 
The ferret_imp said:
what is that jtopiso? We don't have those in the US I am aware of. Nice looking bike though.
That's a CBF500. I'm guessing now it was never sold in the US.

It's what honda did between the old CB500 and the CB500F
Honda CBF500 - Wikipedia

They are very similar bikes in terms of handling, but the CB500F is tuned down from 56hp from the CBF to 47hp (at least in Europe), as that is the maximum power you are allowed to ride with an A2 license (which is all you can get during your first two years as a rider). I guess less power means also less emissions, so that could be another reason.

What I don't understand is: What do regulations have to do with the new insect look? :dodgy:
 
Suzuki's SV650, The 2017 and later versions, are more traditional looking with a round headlight. A bit heavier than the CB500F at near 430 lbs but a smooth motor that will cruise at extra legal speeds all day without complaint. If anything like the two V-stroms (same motor) that we've had the SV650 will be reliable and easy to maintain.
 
Thread starter
Thanks again for all of the replies, and I really appreciate it. My original issue was that my daughter seemed he**-bent on getting some super cheap very used Rebel (mainly due to cost). The ones that I rode that she asked me to check out from her local Craig's List just seemed unsafe at any speed. When I checked them out, it seemed really scary. Not to mention the fact that these carbureted versions didn't seem to like to start and run even in the balmy SoCal weather.

When I started riding street bikes, I had already been riding dirt bikes as a kid, and I always associated size with safety and comfort on the streets (and I still do.) I get though, and thanks in part to all of the replies, that what's comfortable to a middle-aged guy who is 6' and 175 lbs is different than a young woman who is 5' 8" and 125 lbs who has never ridden on the streets.

Anywho, my idea of satisfying my urge for a CB1100EX shouldn't be a reason to inflict that on her. I could just get a CB500 for me in SoCal for when I visit, but neither of us would really bond with the bike I'm guessing. I'll let her do her own thing, which probably is an older Rebel to start. She doesn't love the look or the ride, but feels like it's the responsible choice. That's fine by me (not that I have any real say on the issue) but I just hate to see her buy into a bike that doesn't start or idle reliably and feels like a clown bike on the Freeway.

In any case, I still do have a hankering for a CB1100EX. Most of my riding is short commuting or weekend outings. So, my current thinking is to ship out the R1200C to CA, keep my R1200GS here for when I want the bigger bike, and get the CB1100EX to replace the R1200C here. And let my daughter do whatever it is she wants to do out in SoCal. I just hope she doesn't get something so old or so unreliable that it turns her off to riding....
 
Is it possible to persuade her to something with FI?
 
Your last paragraph sounds like the most logical solution tommy. Just tell her that it's her choice, however, you insist on whatever she chooses having fi and that it be safety inspected by you or at a dealership. That is only prudent.
 
My last bike was a NC750S which I would highly recommend for a new rider ( male or female). Very easy to ride with large in built storage and very very good fuel economy as well as looking good with a fair bit of guts about it. Ideal commuter bike.
 
People used to ask us about what would be a good first bike. I always told them to
buy the newest ,smallest bike you can afford . I saw a lot of young people buy
older UJMs that needed way to much work to make them road ready.
 
I think that's a lovely bike and wouldn't mind having one.

Yes, it's kick-start only, but once a new rider becomes familiar operating the controls, stalling a bike at an intersection becomes rare. But... I do hope she "practices" that...encourage her to purposefully stall the bike at a deserted intersection, relax, take time to kick it over without being in a hurry. I would have her practice kick-starting on a hill as well until she's very comfortable as it can be a bit disconcerting the first time it happens--particulary if in traffic with an impatient driver behind you.
 


good option and good advice. I've had mine for four years and use it as my daily ride, year round, in New England. Would only add that I have never stalled it, at an intersection or elsewhere, and that the fuel injection helps make it easy to start. Once she masters how to coordinate the clutch and throttle, stalls will not be a worry--but without that, any bike can be stalled and induce panic.
 
Thread starter
Agree with all of the advice. I've only had the bike a few days, but have put some good miles on it riding around in the beautiful sunny SoCal weather. It's a fantastic bike for tooling around town. Ideal really. Still though, I'm not super comfortable with it on the Freeways.

The CB1100 would have been a better match for me all around. But to be honest, for the type of riding that I will be doing when I'm here, the SR400 is actually more fun. So far as my impressions so far, here are a few:

1. The kickstart thing is as everybody else mentions. Easy (and fun). My guess is that the engine naturally stops at the beginning of a compression stroke because every time so far, a single full cycle through the kick starter travel with the compression lever engaged puts the piston at the right spot. I don't even look any more. One kick to position and the next kick to start. You do need to do it with some authority though.

2. Fit and finish are good, but not great. A bit of orange peel on the tank (only noticeable in certain light), but generally everything looks good.

3. I hate the positioning of the turn signal switch. No easy way to get to it if you are using the clutch. You have to reposition your hand to get to it. No big deal, but I like signal use to be second nature, and this gets in the way of that.

4. The thing is hard to get into neutral. Again, no big deal, but it's nearly impossible to go from first to neutral (which is probably a good thing) but it's nearly as hard coming down from second. I don't have all that much of a need for neutral in any case, but I do like to start in neutral at least, and it's usually a few seconds fiddling with it to get it there.

5. In my opinion, anybody who complains about power on this bike bought the wrong bike. It has exactly the power it needs to have for its intended use. Even on the freeway, it's completely fine (my complaint about it on the freeway is just that I still don't like the feel of a small bike at those speeds, which has nothing to do with the bike itself.)

Now I just need to find a reason to get a CB1100 back in Maryland, which is what started all of this in the first place. I can't really justify it though since I really like my current ride...
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Very interesting to read the comments, but wait...it is for her, right?
Actually, it's really for me to ride when I'm here for work and to visit my daughter. I did want to make sure that whatever I got was something she could ride too. She was going to buy a Honda Rebel used for herself but all of the ones she was looking at were junk. I convinced her to hold off until I got something, to see if she could use that to get her feet wet and then buy something she really wants as she gets more experience. I was hoping the CB1100ex could be that originally.

Anyway. I think this will work out well.
 
Back
Top