CB1100EX for a new rider? (my daughter)

I had a 2010 Honda Shadow RS 750 that I absolutely loved before getting my DLX. You can pick them up cheap with low mileage and they are pretty solid. I think the height of the cb1100 might be an issue for her.
 
Stichill_imp said:
I'd opt for a bike weighing between 350 to 475 lbs (160 kg to 215 kg) with around 23 to 45 HP, a short wheelbase, mid-mounted foot controls, and appropriate seat height to allow ground contact with the balls of the feet (or better). Opt for some wind protection if any riding is expected at highway speeds (65 mph and up).
Succinct and 100% correct!
There is only one item I'd add: rake (front fork angle) closer to 25 than to 30 degrees. This is somewhat dependent on where/why will the bile be used, and is based strictly on my experience; I realize there might be different opinions on this particular factor.
 
LOL I don't know that I've ever even KNOWN the rake on a bike I have ridden (certainly couldn't tell you what it is on the CB), much less chosen a bike based on that. That goes for weight or horsepower either. I know I have NOT chosen bikes due to weight.
 
For the Ferret:
A bike needs to just feel right.
Sit on it and feel comfortable...handlebar grips are where you expect.
Foot controls are where you expect.

But before checking out a bike, I do like to review the stats...also helps evaluate if sales person is truly knowledgeable about the model (start by asking questions that I already know answers to).

2014 CB1100 SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE
Engine Type 1140cc air- and oil-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke 73.5mm x 67.2mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Valve Train DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 32mm throttle bodies
Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance

DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive #530 O-ring-sealed chain

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 41mm fork with spring-preload adjustability; 4.2 inches travel
Rear Suspension Dual shocks with spring-preload adjustability; 4.5 inches travel
Front Brake Dual four-piston calipers with full-floating 296mm discs
Rear Brake Single-caliper 256mm disc
Front Tire 110/80-18
Rear Tire 140/70-18

DIMENSIONS
Rake (caster angle) 27.0°
Trail 114mm (4.4 inches)
Wheelbase 58.7 inches
Seat Height 31.2 inches
Curb Weight 540 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
Fuel Capacity 3.9 gallons

Understanding a Motorcycle's Rake and Trail
 
I think for most new riders (regardless of their sex), confidently being able to handle the size, seat height and weight of a street bike is more important than arbitrary restrictions on engine size or HP. That being said, the CB1100 probably won’t scare anyone with its acceleration, but at 550’ish lbs, it does require some effort to push around the garage or back up while straddling the seat.

If a retro-standard is a must for styling, then perhaps one of the smaller Triumph Bonneville based bikes like the Street Twin is a better option.... I think it has a wet weight around 475 lbs with a slightly lower seat than the CB with good power for the street.
 
This thread is very subjective.

Some years ago, my middle daughter, 5' 2" (110"?), commuted in the Denver area on a Yamaha XS650 twin, 50 HP, 450#. Never a problem for her to handle it, although she did not like hail storms!

My dad, until his declining years, was 6' 0", but only a 29" inseam. So, height alone may not be sufficient.

I have only ridden a couple bikes on which I felt the weight more, in respect to it being stopped and how far I could lean to the side and bring it back upright.

One was a 2012 BMW R1200R, which is 491# dry. Add 4.8 gallons of fuel, oil and it is about the same as my 2014 CB standard...but the weight felt higher.

The other is my eldest son-in-laws 2006 Road King at 723# dry. Comfortable bike, but I do not like forward controls.

My 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II was lightweight (417#?) and handled extremely well, but I did not trust its electrics.

My 2012 Triumph Bonneville accelerated and cornered very well, but at 495# wet, was not a lightweight.
 
LOL thanks Doc, but specs aren't my thing. Especially things like rake, trail, wheelbase, bore and stroke, compression ratio, what size throttle bodies it has,the size of the discs, suspension travel, and exact displacement ...even wheel size

I agree with this part though

A bike needs to just feel right.
Sit on it and feel comfortable...handlebar grips are where you expect.
Foot controls are where you expect.

in addition it can't be gutless (I put more stock in torque than horsepower)

or a barge when it comes to weight, (I have to be able to pull it off the side stand and put it on the centerstand)

plus I have to be able to get the balls of both feet down at a stop

and it's important that it looks good to me.

I have never bought a bike on specs, and I "expect" salesmen to know less than I do on a bike I am considering purchasing. I'm concentrating on 1 bike, they have to know a little bit about dozens or a hundreds for a multi line dealership.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL thanks Doc, but specs aren't my thing. Especially things like rake, trail, wheelbase, bore and stroke, compression ratio, what size throttle bodies it has,the size of the discs, suspension travel, and exact displacement ...even wheel size

I agree with this part though

A bike needs to just feel right.
Sit on it and feel comfortable...handlebar grips are where you expect.
Foot controls are where you expect.

in addition it can't be gutless (I put more stock in torque than horsepower)

or a barge when it comes to weight, (I have to be able to pull it off the side stand and put it on the centerstand)

plus I have to be able to get the balls of both feet down at a stop

and it's important that it looks good to me.

I have never bought a bike on specs, and I "expect" salesmen to know less than I do on a bike I am considering purchasing. I'm concentrating on 1 bike, they have to know a little bit about dozens or a hundreds for a multi line dealership.
Does not stop your immersion in them!:D
The ferret_imp said:
LOL thanks Doc, but specs aren't my thing. Especially things like rake, trail, wheelbase, bore and stroke, compression ratio, what size throttle bodies it has,the size of the discs, suspension travel, and exact displacement ...even wheel size

I agree with this part though

A bike needs to just feel right.
Sit on it and feel comfortable...handlebar grips are where you expect.
Foot controls are where you expect.

in addition it can't be gutless (I put more stock in torque than horsepower)

or a barge when it comes to weight, (I have to be able to pull it off the side stand and put it on the centerstand)

plus I have to be able to get the balls of both feet down at a stop

and it's important that it looks good to me.

I have never bought a bike on specs, and I "expect" salesmen to know less than I do on a bike I am considering purchasing. I'm concentrating on 1 bike, they have to know a little bit about dozens or a hundreds for a multi line dealership.
Specs may not be your thing, although you are good at "ferreting out" information; but they do mean something to you:

Bore size is related to power.

Stroke relates to torque and efficiency. Longer stroke = more burn time. Shorter stroke = higher RPM and more HP. It is a balance.

Higher compression = more power, but may also require premium fuel.

Size of throttle body (or carb) is proportionate to CFM, which is needed with higher RPMs.

Larger discs is a mechanical advantage for stopping ability.

Suspension travel = comfort (rather short on my V7II = harsher ride).

Displacement is usually proportionate to power.

Wheel size affects handling. My Bonneville was 16" wheels and it really liked the canyons.

They all help focus on what bike is best for you.
 
I'll pile on. CB1100? Could she? Sure. Should she? Probably not. Regardless of gender, lighter is better and safer for new riders. I think the Street Twin is a perfect recommendation, as is the CB500 or SV650. Even the new NC750X if she can swallow the styling.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'll pile on. CB1100? Could she? Sure. Should she? Probably not. Regardless of gender, lighter is better and safer for new riders. I think the Street Twin is a perfect recommendation, as is the CB500 or SV650. Even the new NC750X if she can swallow the styling.
Well said, LR.
 
tommymck, I think you should buy a CB1100 for yourself and something along the lines of the CB500 for your daughter. Then both of you will be smiling. IMHO the 1100 is too much bike for a young new rider....good luck.
 
Thread starter
Thanks so much everybody for all of the replies!!!!! The things that stands out to me are:

1. I was looking for a bike that I wanted for when I visit that she could also ride. Sounds like, regardless of my predispositions, smaller bikes will just be more appropriate for her. If I want something for me, I should get that regardless of what she'll be riding. It's unlikely that a bike that I'd want would be something that is good for a new rider.

2. Left to her own devices, she'd get something small and cheap, and I should just let that happen. She has a better sense of what she thinks is comfortable, appropriate and affordable. I'd be happy to contribute, but she's proud and doesn't want to break the bank, regardless of whose bank it is. The suggestions about the 500 sound great, but from what I see, she's looking for something more traditional looking. I think that she'll continue on her used Rebel quest and have me evaluate whatever she's looking to buy. It'll be fun regardless.

In any case, I really appreciate all of the comments. I still have a hankering for an 1100EX, but maybe I just get that for me and keep it in Maryland (maybe I ship the R1200C to CA for when I'm there...or even ride it cross-country as an adventure...)
 
rotor_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
I'd opt for a bike weighing between 350 to 475 lbs (160 kg to 215 kg) with around 23 to 45 HP, a short wheelbase, mid-mounted foot controls, and appropriate seat height to allow ground contact with the balls of the feet (or better). Opt for some wind protection if any riding is expected at highway speeds (65 mph and up).
Succinct and 100% correct!
There is only one item I'd add: rake (front fork angle) closer to 25 than to 30 degrees. This is somewhat dependent on where/why will the bile be used, and is based strictly on my experience; I realize there might be different opinions on this particular factor.
Succinct and 100% correct!
There is only one item I'd add: rake (front fork angle) closer to 25 than to 30 degrees. This is somewhat dependent on where/why will the bike be used, and is based strictly on my experience; I realize there might be different opinions on this particular factor.
Great point! A bike with a 25° rake is going to be easier to maneuver than a bike with a 31° rake. I've got one bike with 25° and another with 25.5°. I've ridden and enjoyed a bike with a 32° rake but it was by no means a beginner's bike.
The ferret_imp said:
LOL I don't know that I've ever even KNOWN the rake on a bike I have ridden (certainly couldn't tell you what it is on the CB), much less chosen a bike based on that. That goes for weight or horsepower either. I know I have NOT chosen bikes due to weight.
Ha, when I bought my F800GT, its 25.5° rake was a persuasive factor as I was looking for handling similar to my CBR250R at 25°.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Thanks so much everybody for all of the replies!!!!! The things that stands out to me are:

1. I was looking for a bike that I wanted for when I visit that she could also ride. Sounds like, regardless of my predispositions, smaller bikes will just be more appropriate for her. If I want something for me, I should get that regardless of what she'll be riding. It's unlikely that a bike that I'd want would be something that is good for a new rider.

2. Left to her own devices, she'd get something small and cheap, and I should just let that happen. She has a better sense of what she thinks is comfortable, appropriate and affordable. I'd be happy to contribute, but she's proud and doesn't want to break the bank, regardless of whose bank it is. The suggestions about the 500 sound great, but from what I see, she's looking for something more traditional looking. I think that she'll continue on her used Rebel quest and have me evaluate whatever she's looking to buy. It'll be fun regardless.

In any case, I really appreciate all of the comments. I still have a hankering for an 1100EX, but maybe I just get that for me and keep it in Maryland (maybe I ship the R1200C to CA for when I'm there...or even ride it cross-country as an adventure...)
Yeah, but it could work the other way around. You can have a great time riding a lighter, zippier bike than you're used to riding. I recently took a ride on my friends new Rebel 500 and that thing was a hoot!

Quote:The suggestions about the 500 sound great, but from what I see, she's looking for something more traditional looking. I think that she'll continue on her used Rebel quest and have me evaluate whatever she's looking to buy.
Might I suggest the newer Rebel 500 rather than the older 250. The 500 has the power to handle freeway speeds, where the 250 just doesn't cut it. Several years ago I rode a friend's Rebel 250 on L.A. freeways and it was a scary experience. I know you said her commute was a short one on surface streets, but it's always nice to have the option to be able to hop on a freeway to get somewhere (especially in So. Cal.). A little more power would make the bike a lot more versatile in that region.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Thanks so much everybody for all of the replies!!!!! The things that stands out to me are:

1. I was looking for a bike that I wanted for when I visit that she could also ride. Sounds like, regardless of my predispositions, smaller bikes will just be more appropriate for her. If I want something for me, I should get that regardless of what she'll be riding. It's unlikely that a bike that I'd want would be something that is good for a new rider.

2. Left to her own devices, she'd get something small and cheap, and I should just let that happen. She has a better sense of what she thinks is comfortable, appropriate and affordable. I'd be happy to contribute, but she's proud and doesn't want to break the bank, regardless of whose bank it is. The suggestions about the 500 sound great, but from what I see, she's looking for something more traditional looking. I think that she'll continue on her used Rebel quest and have me evaluate whatever she's looking to buy. It'll be fun regardless.

In any case, I really appreciate all of the comments. I still have a hankering for an 1100EX, but maybe I just get that for me and keep it in Maryland (maybe I ship the R1200C to CA for when I'm there...or even ride it cross-country as an adventure...)
what about...
http://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/wallpaper/20101116105852-10197_jpgresize_1600x1200_.jpg
?


Good looking, enough performance for one rider even on highways, very nice handling, very reliable, low seat heigth, cheap as peanuts... so great as a first bike.

And when done with it, resale value will be around the same as the purchase cost was.
 
what is that jtopiso? We don't have those in the US I am aware of. Nice looking bike though.
 
A new rider's attention should be dealing with traffic and hazards of the road in various conditions, and not focusing on the handling of the bike.
A Rebel (vs a 540-lb CB1100) will definitely help her focusing on the road.

my 2 cts
 
Except for the slightly waspish looking rear end and the transformer headlight, the CB 500F is generally a good looking motorcycle. I've sat on one at the dealership,very nice, low seat, light weight like redbirds says.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Except for the slightly waspish looking rear end and the transformer headlight, the CB 500F is generally a good looking motorcycle. I've sat on one at the dealership,very nice, low seat, light weight like redbirds says.
And the 650 version with its waterfall pipes looks even better...

37c48a25e830ac9fddb82e60e30df997.jpg


Among the various Hondas, the 650F would be the one I'd recommend for a noob who will use it for commuting, particularly if freeway riding is ever going to become part of the equation. For city-only work, sure, the 500F is perfectly acceptable, and maybe even better, since it's cheaper, lighter, and less powerful.
 
Back
Top