CB1100 - what it takes to maintain?

Tev62

Road warrior
Thread starter
So I finished my CB1100 "effort to maintain" video and posted it up on YouTube. I thought I would do one as I had to give it a going over anyway.

Owners on this forum will already know the information it contains and I'm not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs here.

The intention was to give a prospective owner an idea of what it means to own the CB from a servicing perspective. Hopefully it comes across as positive as it is meant to be.

 
Nice! I flashed through it here and there, but it's sunny out, so I'll save for late evening.
 
Tev, that's a great video. Thanks. A couple of things, though. I don't think you should be a cheapskate with the coolant. OEM or nothing. That cheap stuff just doesn't work.

Secondly, being the resident VIN tragic, I'm interested to see that Honda has changed the model designation from SC65 to SC78. The 2017 US models stuck with SC65.

Can you tell me sometime whether the 10th digit of your VIN is 'H' or 'J'?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Tev, that's a great video. Thanks. A couple of things, though. I don't think you should be a cheapskate with the coolant. OEM or nothing. That cheap stuff just doesn't work.

Secondly, being the resident VIN tragic, I'm interested to see that Honda has changed the model designation from SC65 to SC78. The 2017 US models stuck with SC65.

Can you tell me sometime whether the 10th digit of your VIN is 'H' or 'J'?
It is an H - does that stand for anything in particular? SC78 does form part of that VIN number too.
 
The "air coolant" is fun.

= = =

It a bit reminds me of an old Mad magazine back page "ad" from a 70's issue ...

The setting is on the stairs of an old brownstone maybe somewhere in Brooklyn, NY:

* A glass bottle of milk
* A glass bottle of clear, clean water
* A glass bottle of fresh air

= = =

2021:

* The glass bottle of delivered milk is pretty well gone away (if not otherwise spoiled by the heat, stolen, or vandalized)
* The glass bottle of clear, clean water is replaced by bottled water (for better, or for worse), or bring your own bottles to filtered water depots
* The glass bottle of fresh air is replaced by better vehicle emissions, cabin air filters, electric vehicles, pollution-based face masks, wind and solar generation

... and modern air-cooled, large bore motorcycles are becoming an endangered species.
 
Tev, “H” tells you the bike is a 2017 model year. “SC78A” is Honda’s internal model designation. I was interested because in the US, Honda’s internal model designation for the 2017 model is “SC651”.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Tev, “H” tells you the bike is a 2017 model year. “SC78A” is Honda’s internal model designation. I was interested because in the US, Honda’s internal model designation for the 2017 model is “SC651”.
Ah, OK cool :thumbsup:
 
Tev62_imp said:
So I finished my CB1100 "effort to maintain" video and posted it up on YouTube. I thought I would do one as I had to give it a going over anyway.

Owners on this forum will already know the information it contains and I'm not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs here.

The intention was to give a prospective owner an idea of what it means to own the CB from a servicing perspective. Hopefully it comes across as positive as it is meant to be.

Hi, I watched it and left a few comments coming from South Texas, where summers kill motorcycles. I liked what it said, even if I do not agree with all of it. The tires. The reason Forum Members spend so much putting DLX wheel on the EX!
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
So I finished my CB1100 "effort to maintain" video and posted it up on YouTube. I thought I would do one as I had to give it a going over anyway.

Owners on this forum will already know the information it contains and I'm not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs here.

The intention was to give a prospective owner an idea of what it means to own the CB from a servicing perspective. Hopefully it comes across as positive as it is meant to be.

Hi, I watched it and left a few comments coming from South Texas, where summers kill motorcycles. I liked what it said, even if I do not agree with all of it. The tires. The reason Forum Members spend so much putting DLX wheel on the EX!
Hi, I watched it and left a few comments coming from South Texas, where summers kill motorcycles. I liked what it said, even if I do not agree with all of it. The tires. The reason Forum Members spend so much putting DLX wheel on the EX!
Cheers for the feedback Michael, I appreciate your comments and all great input from your perspective. It's the rain that kills motorcycles here!
 
Thanks for posting this video! I really enjoyed watching it.

I guess you are right about the oil change and oil filter change intervals, but I am just too anal about it and prefer to change oil and filters at the end of each riding season (after =/- 5000km). I realise this is not necessary at all but then again: on a $10,000+ bike, I don't mind to spend $75 each year for my peace of mind. Plus I find that that oil is very black when I take it out...

Luckily the air is very clean in my part of the world so I don't need to change the air coolant that often.
 
Tev62_imp said:
So I finished my CB1100 "effort to maintain" video and posted it up on YouTube. I thought I would do one as I had to give it a going over anyway.

Owners on this forum will already know the information it contains and I'm not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs here.

The intention was to give a prospective owner an idea of what it means to own the CB from a servicing perspective. Hopefully it comes across as positive as it is meant to be.

LOL! I loved the coolant bit. :clap:
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
So I finished my CB1100 "effort to maintain" video and posted it up on YouTube. I thought I would do one as I had to give it a going over anyway.

Owners on this forum will already know the information it contains and I'm not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs here.

The intention was to give a prospective owner an idea of what it means to own the CB from a servicing perspective. Hopefully it comes across as positive as it is meant to be.

LOL! I loved the coolant bit. :clap:
Awfully expensive stuff that from Honda, specially imported from the peak of Mount Fuji and transported down by the mount Fuji hopping goat.
 
Back
Top