CB1100 vs. its competition

MrGood_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So, I'm speaking from a buyers perspective, and currently own a Star Raider which is for sale due to knee issues, so I'm finding a lighter bike. I dig the CB1100s most and that's my first choice, but I'd like to get honest opinions on other comparable bike, such as a Bonneville possibly, etc. I want a bike in the 5-600lb range, upright and relaxed riding position, not high-centered, and fuel injected ideally, ABS even better, and $6500 or less, used of course. I'm 6'2, 230lbs. I had a 99ZRX1100 before and would consider one again since its breadloaf seat and ride was comfy, I just don't know what other bikes that fall between the two.
 
The CB1100 is better in every concievable way than the current Bonnie. More power, better brakes, more fuel capcity.

Same story with the Moto Guzzi v7 series of bikes. Small underpowered and under braked, but their owners seem to love them. tHey do have shaft drive going for them.

However. For 2016 Triumph is coming out with a new 1200cc Bonnie with triple discs which should make the bike more competitive with the CB1100, but those won't be in your price range for a couple of years.

Who knows, for 2016 Kaw make another run at the US with a W800. Have not heard rumors to that effect, but it wouldn't surprise me. Those wont be in your price range for a few years as well.

You may be able to find a used W650 Kaw, which would be in your price range, but they are pretty rare since they didn't sell well here.

Now, I'm not saying you wouldn't be happy with a pre 2016 Bonnie, or Moto Guzzi or a W 650 Kaw, but IMO the CB is head and shoulders better than any of them.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret, I expected that honestly, it's a Honda, and that's a good thing! What's a W650, not familiar.
 
MrGood_imp said:
Thanks Ferret, I expected that honestly, it's a Honda, and that's a good thing! What's a W650, not familiar.
It's a 650 Kawasaki that really looked like A triumph Bonneville. If you can find a left over new 2014 CB 1100 you'll get a much better motorcycle for the money than the Triumph Bonneville. The CB is much more refined. If you can try one, you'll see why all these guys are complimenting this great machine.
 
Thread starter
I searched and there's 1 2001 for $10k, and I'm not getting a 650. I don't like the idea of anything less than 1000cc to be honest.
 
If you aren't willing to accept under 1000cc, ( the current Bonnie is close at 865 cc) then there is no competition that isn't 45 years old.
 
The specs for the CB1100 are certainly 'better' than the Bonnie or V7, but that doesn't mean you'll like it better. Ferret's assertion that the new Bonnie will finally be competitive with the CB is based on specs, but certainly not passion, resale value, character, aftermarket and enthusiast interest, and units sold. The Bonnie, even the current one, owns the CB in those spheres, despite clearly losing in the spec sheet. The CB is a fantastic bike, but not fantastic for everyone.

If you buy a bike based on forum response and specs you may make the wrong choice. Try each if you can, and don't underestimate the 'soul and character' and personal feelings on the brand elements of the purchase. Those things are highly individual and not captured in a brochure.
 
Thread starter
I understand and you have a valid point, I'm just looking for insight and suggestions based on folks' experience. I think the Kawi ZRX11/1200s are a good platform but they're carb'd, and I'd rather not go there. Those bikes themselves are a throwback replica to the Eddie Lawson bike of the 70s.
 
Capo, first off I agree with you, but I was comparing things that can be measured, not the immeasurable, which cannot be compared.

How do you measure soul? I've never had a bike that I consider had "soul". I've had Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Triumph, BSA, Harley Davidsons and an Aermachhi. 31 street bikes all together I think. And what I didn't own I sold/ rode in my 17 years in the industry..including Moto Guzzi's, Nortons and Ducatis, and I have ridden quite a few BMWs and a KTM or two as well.

Same goes with character. i've never had a bike I considered had "character". They have either been great bikes, good bikes, not so good bikes, and crummy bikes. Generally speaking the ones I owned that most people considered having soul and character ( Harleys, BSA, Aermacchi etc) were " for me", the crummy bikes. A bike that has electrical problems or has a persistant oil leak, or vibrates parts until they break says " character" to some, but to me says " crummy". My son's Ducati for example. A lot of people would say the Ducati has soul or character compared to my Honda. Since his bike has been in the shop for all of those problems plus a locked up transmission all in under 8,000 miles, whereas in 24,000 miles my CBs have required nothing but oil changes and tires. I would consider his Ducati crummy, and my CBs great. I do not consider working on bikes between rides to keep them running character. Or one that leaves puddles of oil on my garage floor as having soul. Some guys like to fiddle, I like to ride. BTW I once had a guy tell me that a bike had character if you took it out for a ride and you weren't sure it would bring you back home.

Hard to say how someone will connect with a motorcycle on a " feelings", appearance, or comfort level so when someone asks for a comparison I can't say that this motorcycle is good looking, or comfortable, or that motorcycle has soul or character, I can only give measurable responses. HP, torque, weight, gas capacity, gears in transmission, drive system, price new or used.. The spec sheets as you would call them.

I too would absolutely recommend trying the bikes out if they can before buying.
 
Thread starter
Well put Ferret. The great HD debate comes to mind first for me. I've ridden a Vic Vegas and now own a Raider, both non-HD reliable cruisers. I like the way HDs look, but for thousands more and matching issues, why pay more for less. I get the history thing, and if you grew up on them then cool, no issue there. I just don't have pockets that deep, and like wasting my own money rather than a machine doing it for me personally. I like their tshirts even, and will pick one up here and there more as a mark of a rider in general that represents that particular place geographically, rather than drown in the HD koolaid. Some folks are all HD, truck, shirt, shoes, jacket, gloves, whatevs. They start making affordable and equally reliable bikes as the rest and they might see my money one day. Till then, to the land of the Rising Sun for me I think...
 
Thread starter
Yeah, viable option. I'm sort of superstitious on Suzukis. First bike I tried to buy was a GXR750 project, ended up having to go to VA State Police and get my money back from a guy who had a bike with no title, long story. Second try I had a Vstrom 1000 for a bit, then got fired/laid off. I know they're good bikes, I just haven't had good luck dealing with them hahaha, as silly as it may sound.
I've debated a Concours or FJR.
 
MrGood_imp said:
I understand and you have a valid point, I'm just looking for insight and suggestions based on folks' experience. I think the Kawi ZRX11/1200s are a good platform but they're carb'd, and I'd rather not go there. Those bikes themselves are a throwback replica to the Eddie Lawson bike of the 70s.
I owned, and now miss, a ZRX1200R. Handling was wonky, the CB has it beat there. But that motor. If that's your benchmark, you'll miss the power and delivery of it with the CB. CB is better built and finished.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, my 99' 1100 Zrex would scream, and not even breach 5k rpm@120. It was un-necessary really, one reason I sold it. Just out for a different purpose now and have some physical issues going on that made me think of the comfort and riding position that was good too. The CB is still what I want if I can manage to pull it off.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Capo, first off I agree with you, but I was comparing things that can be measured, not the immeasurable, which cannot be compared.

How do you measure soul? I've never had a bike that I consider had "soul". I've had Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Triumph, BSA, Harley Davidsons and an Aermachhi. 31 street bikes all together I think. And what I didn't own I sold/ rode in my 17 years in the industry..including Moto Guzzi's, Nortons and Ducatis, and I have ridden quite a few BMWs and a KTM or two as well.

Same goes with character. i've never had a bike I considered had "character". They have either been great bikes, good bikes, not so good bikes, and crummy bikes. Generally speaking the ones I owned that most people considered having soul and character ( Harleys, BSA, Aermacchi etc) were " for me", the crummy bikes. A bike that has electrical problems or has a persistant oil leak, or vibrates parts until they break says " character" to some, but to me says " crummy". My son's Ducati for example. A lot of people would say the Ducati has soul or character compared to my Honda. Since his bike has been in the shop for all of those problems plus a locked up transmission all in under 8,000 miles, whereas in 24,000 miles my CBs have required nothing but oil changes and tires. I would consider his Ducati crummy, and my CBs great. I do not consider working on bikes between rides to keep them running character. Or one that leaves puddles of oil on my garage floor as having soul. Some guys like to fiddle, I like to ride. BTW I once had a guy tell me that a bike had character if you took it out for a ride and you weren't sure it would bring you back home.

Hard to say how someone will connect with a motorcycle on a " feelings", appearance, or comfort level so when someone asks for a comparison I can't say that this motorcycle is good looking, or comfortable, or that motorcycle has soul or character, I can only give measurable responses. HP, torque, weight, gas capacity, gears in transmission, drive system, price new or used.. The spec sheets as you would call them.

I too would absolutely recommend trying the bikes out if they can before buying.
Soul is not measurable and character often means flaws. But Marvin Gaye had something that Rick Astley did not. Rick Astley did sell a lot of records, though. Sophia Loren has a crooked nose. And from what I've heard (second hand, of course) Sophia Vergara is occasionally temperamental. Measurements aside, to some, they are probably worth the flaws!

All kidding aside, my strong sense is that bikes do move something inside the owner / rider that is not captured in numbers or Consumer Reports ratings. And if you are moved more, in an intangible but real way, by a certain bike over another, that's the one you want. As long as it's not a Harley. ( I kid, I kid!)
 
Thread starter
Hahahhaa yup, I was just plotting tomorrow morning! I've actually been overlooking a Yamaha Bolt too, roadtrip!
 
As a present owner of both Bonneville and CB1100, I've got to wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Ferret here. Yes, I love the Bonnie, but it pales in comparison with the CB. And I mean that in relation to power, finish, detail, ride quality...the list goes on and on. Some motorcycle qualities are definitely subjective, but as someone with 3 years seat time in a new Bonnie, and going on 2 years on a new CB, I think I can make a reasonably acceptable overall judgement here in many aspects of both bikes, and that would be overwhelmingly in the CB's favor. Yes, the Bonnie also has a very passionate owner group - and, in my opinion, for good reason; it's a fun bike to ride and work on, and it hits all the right warm, fuzzy "nostalgia" buttons - but the CB is just a better quality and better all-around bike.
To drive that point home, that's why my Bonneville is up for sale as we speak, and the CB1100 is not...
 
The ferret_imp said:
Capo, first off I agree with you, but I was comparing things that can be measured, not the immeasurable, which cannot be compared.

How do you measure soul? I've never had a bike that I consider had "soul". I've had Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Triumph, BSA, Harley Davidsons and an Aermachhi. 31 street bikes all together I think. And what I didn't own I sold/ rode in my 17 years in the industry..including Moto Guzzi's, Nortons and Ducatis, and I have ridden quite a few BMWs and a KTM or two as well.

Same goes with character. i've never had a bike I considered had "character". They have either been great bikes, good bikes, not so good bikes, and crummy bikes. Generally speaking the ones I owned that most people considered having soul and character ( Harleys, BSA, Aermacchi etc) were " for me", the crummy bikes. A bike that has electrical problems or has a persistant oil leak, or vibrates parts until they break says " character" to some, but to me says " crummy". My son's Ducati for example. A lot of people would say the Ducati has soul or character compared to my Honda. Since his bike has been in the shop for all of those problems plus a locked up transmission all in under 8,000 miles, whereas in 24,000 miles my CBs have required nothing but oil changes and tires. I would consider his Ducati crummy, and my CBs great. I do not consider working on bikes between rides to keep them running character. Or one that leaves puddles of oil on my garage floor as having soul. Some guys like to fiddle, I like to ride. BTW I once had a guy tell me that a bike had character if you took it out for a ride and you weren't sure it would bring you back home.

Hard to say how someone will connect with a motorcycle on a " feelings", appearance, or comfort level so when someone asks for a comparison I can't say that this motorcycle is good looking, or comfortable, or that motorcycle has soul or character, I can only give measurable responses. HP, torque, weight, gas capacity, gears in transmission, drive system, price new or used.. The spec sheets as you would call them.

I too would absolutely recommend trying the bikes out if they can before buying.
Character: Latin for bad engineering.

:D
 
Back
Top