the Ferret
Road warrior
"What Italians call character, Japanese consider design flaws and Germans deny to their graves".. Larry Grodsky ...
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hah!The ferret_imp said:"What Italians call character, Japanese consider design flaws and Germans deny to their graves".. Larry Grodsky ...
When i rode one i definately found it underwhelming. It looks great, handles nicely but didn't offer much right hand induced excitement.LongRanger_imp said:Consider trying a Moto Guzzi V7 or Griso before writing them off. The V7 isn't underpowered except for those who think a bike needs to make 100 hp. Depending on how and where you ride, you may find it to be perfect.
I think a pre-owned BMW R1200R might also be worth a look. It's a very capable bike.
When i rode one i definately found it underwhelming. It looks great, handles nicely but didn't offer much left hand induced excitement.Brookland27_imp said:Aprilia shiver, honda 919, Kawasaki ZRX, Triumph Sprint RS, Triumph Bonneville, moto guzzi griso, HONDA CB1100, Ducati monster 796, Suzuki bandit 1200. The choice was easy. See you soon. I think now is a good time to buy a cb1100 by the way as i personally don't see the prices getting any better or the availability.
you are probably about to be able to get a smokin deal on a used bonneville though with the new model being released. Those were always pretty hard to find but i bet you'll see alot more in the used market in the coming months.
When i rode one i definately found it underwhelming. It looks great, handles nicely but didn't offer much right hand induced excitement.LongRanger_imp said:Consider trying a Moto Guzzi V7 or Griso before writing them off. The V7 isn't underpowered except for those who think a bike needs to make 100 hp. Depending on how and where you ride, you may find it to be perfect.
I think a pre-owned BMW R1200R might also be worth a look. It's a very capable bike.
Character: Latin for bad engineering.LARIDER_imp said:Character: Latin for bad engineering.The ferret_imp said:Capo, first off I agree with you, but I was comparing things that can be measured, not the immeasurable, which cannot be compared.
How do you measure soul? I've never had a bike that I consider had "soul". I've had Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Triumph, BSA, Harley Davidsons and an Aermachhi. 31 street bikes all together I think. And what I didn't own I sold/ rode in my 17 years in the industry..including Moto Guzzi's, Nortons and Ducatis, and I have ridden quite a few BMWs and a KTM or two as well.
Same goes with character. i've never had a bike I considered had "character". They have either been great bikes, good bikes, not so good bikes, and crummy bikes. Generally speaking the ones I owned that most people considered having soul and character ( Harleys, BSA, Aermacchi etc) were " for me", the crummy bikes. A bike that has electrical problems or has a persistant oil leak, or vibrates parts until they break says " character" to some, but to me says " crummy". My son's Ducati for example. A lot of people would say the Ducati has soul or character compared to my Honda. Since his bike has been in the shop for all of those problems plus a locked up transmission all in under 8,000 miles, whereas in 24,000 miles my CBs have required nothing but oil changes and tires. I would consider his Ducati crummy, and my CBs great. I do not consider working on bikes between rides to keep them running character. Or one that leaves puddles of oil on my garage floor as having soul. Some guys like to fiddle, I like to ride. BTW I once had a guy tell me that a bike had character if you took it out for a ride and you weren't sure it would bring you back home.
Hard to say how someone will connect with a motorcycle on a " feelings", appearance, or comfort level so when someone asks for a comparison I can't say that this motorcycle is good looking, or comfortable, or that motorcycle has soul or character, I can only give measurable responses. HP, torque, weight, gas capacity, gears in transmission, drive system, price new or used.. The spec sheets as you would call them.
I too would absolutely recommend trying the bikes out if they can before buying.
![]()
What's interesting is I'm 6'4" and with 1 bad hip and one replaced, arthritic, yet I can ride 350 miles in a day on the '13 CB which has the stock seat and pegs, 60 miles at a time.obleo_imp said:I agree with jeffskar , the quality an character of the cb 1100 is outstanding! But someone with knee issues and your size should look else where, I'am 5'10" with bad knees can not ride more than 10 minutes without pain.If you scan the threads on this forum you will see how many owners have tried many different seats, pegs windshields handlebars risers etc. in order to make this bike more user friendly with little sucess. Take one for a test ride of more than 30 minutes and see for yourself.
I've got you beat by 2" -- 6'6" -- and don't seem to have issues with the stock ergo's either. My OEM hips allow me to ride tank-to-tank without much discomfort. I try to avoid freeways.gossman_imp said:What's interesting is I'm 6'4" and with 1 bad hip and one replaced, arthritic, yet I can ride 350 miles in a day on the '13 CB which has the stock seat and pegs, 60 miles at a time.obleo_imp said:I agree with jeffskar , the quality an character of the cb 1100 is outstanding! But someone with knee issues and your size should look else where, I'am 5'10" with bad knees can not ride more than 10 minutes without pain.If you scan the threads on this forum you will see how many owners have tried many different seats, pegs windshields handlebars risers etc. in order to make this bike more user friendly with little sucess. Take one for a test ride of more than 30 minutes and see for yourself.
