CB1100 vs. Griso vs. NineT ...

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Does any CB1100 owners here ever fantasize about the Moto Guzzi Griso or the BMW NineT?

I know, I know, the later have shaft drives. There are also decent video reviews of the threesome. But does anyone here fantasize these others?

If so, can you share why (or why not)?
 
The Griso is no longer available, though I imagine Piaggio may have a few unsold units in the warehouse. Phoenix-area member Rboe has one (along with an XR650).

As an ex-Moto Guzzi V7 owner, all I can do is fantasize about what that brand could be. But as you point out, it's just a fantasy. As far as the RNineT is concerned, no thanks. I don't find those bikes particularly attractive.
 
Thread starter
RE: BMW bikes - yes, in general they are different beasts to appreciate indeed. Of the lot, I find IMHO the NineT comes closest to "like".

Griso stopped? Huh, well, one less thing to worry 'bout I spoze. (... or that damn Death Knell.)
 
We had a member—Ack-CB11 who traded his CB1100 for an R9T and was very impressed by it. Looks like he still checks in from time to time if you wanted to send him a PM.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
We had a member—Ack-CB11 who traded his CB1100 for an R9T and was very impressed by it. Looks like he still checks in from time to time if you wanted to send him a PM.
Thank you for the tip. I have no immediate urge to step into that shadowland, but I understand why some feel the gravity.
 
I test rode a Griso a couple years ago and didn't care for it very much. I've ridden lots of BMWs and although I llike looking at them, I don't like riding them very much either.

The 1977 BMW R100R was my favorite followed by the pre 2014 R 1200R, but I have ridden them and ridden them ( even rented one for a week) and I just dont get along with them.

I think it's a Euro thing. I've yet to find a Euro bike that runs in the rpm range I like to ride in.
 
I currently own a 1991 BMW R100GS. Purchased nearly 28 years and 155,000 miles ago. Needless to say, I've bonded with this bike.

I picked up a 'leftover' 2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport in 2010. Lovely bike, last of the 'big block' 2v OHV engines (1151cc.) A few tweaks (Mana handlebars, seat repadded by Sargent, and adjustable footpegs) and she's been a good ride for 67,000 miles.

I did own a 2012 Griso for 3 years and 11,000 miles. Probably the most visually striking motorcycle I've ever owned, in Tenni Green with a lovely saddle tan seat. But the aftermarket parts (suspension) to get the ride compliance I wanted were fairly expensive, so I cut my losses, and sold the bike.

Every so often I get the urge to try one of these again. The 4v per head engine is a beast compared to the 2v per head mill in my 1200 Sport, though both displace 1151cc. If you do consider a used Griso, you'll want to go with a 2013 or later, since earlier models began experiencing excessive wear in the valve train, namely the flat tappets, which were replaced in later models with roller tappets. Some of the earlier models have been upgraded by their owners to roller tappets.
Earlier Grisos came with a slightly smaller (1064cc) big block 2v per cylinder ohv engine.

Bob
 
The ferret_imp said:
I test rode a Griso a couple years ago and didn't care for it very much. I've ridden lots of BMWs and although I llike looking at them, I don't like riding them very much either.

The 1977 BMW R100R was my favorite followed by the pre 2014 R 1200R, but I have ridden them and ridden them ( even rented one for a week) and I just dont get along with them.

I think it's a Euro thing. I've yet to find a Euro bike that runs in the rpm range I like to ride in.
I guess, from the engine point of view you would have liked the K100 (and followers). Ran a little rougher than the CB1100, but quite the same motor characteristic, easy cruising between 1,500 and 4,000, lots of power above 6,000 rpm. But alas, that's also about 30-20 years ago...
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Does any CB1100 owners here ever fantasize about the Moto Guzzi Griso or the BMW NineT?

I know, I know, the later have shaft drives. There are also decent video reviews of the threesome. But does anyone here fantasize these others?

If so, can you share why (or why not)?
Nope. Never. You might find these YouTube videos interesting if you have not yet seen them, although from your post it sounds like you may have seen them. They will at least give you a head to head comparison of the 2017 CB1100EX to the BMW. There are significant suspension differences between the 2017 CB1100EX and earlier CB1100s, and these videos helped cement my decision to buy my 2017 EX. A big part of the appeal of my EX is the way the 2017 CB looks, and the BMW doesn't strike a chord for me there. Also, it is geared lower and has a stiffer ride. To me, it is a very different bike than the CB. I do have a 1000cc Ducati with a full Ohlins suspension, and there is a lot to be said for a big bore twin. For me, a Moto Guzzi is out of the question. I had one years ago and I love some of their bikes, but the lack of any dealer support anywhere close to me rules Guzzi out--and I live in a city approaching a population of 2 million people!!! :s


 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Does any CB1100 owners here ever fantasize about the Moto Guzzi Griso or the BMW NineT?

I know, I know, the later have shaft drives. There are also decent video reviews of the threesome. But does anyone here fantasize these others?

If so, can you share why (or why not)?
Guilty, in regards to the BMW. Would have to test ride one before seriously considering it though. Very attractive motorcycle IMO
 
I seriously considered the R9T. In the end I went with another CB, the 2018 CB1000R - superior to the Beemer in just about every way. It bridges the gap between sport bike and retro. I know looks are subjective, but it's a gorgeous machine. That being said, I would not mind an R9T in my stable. Great bike.
 
Thread starter
When one comes that close to declining the RNineT, it somewhat shows how stiff the competition really is. Great feedback.
 
I've never sat on the other two, but to me....it looks like the CB is the most comfortable of the bunch. The others seem to have a more aggressive riding position, which I wouldn't want on this type of bike. I do wish Honda used the open swingarm on more bikes.....that is a totally awesome feature, for looks, cleaning, and service too.

In conclusion: Open swingarms make the world a better place.
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
I've never sat on the other two, but to me....it looks like the CB is the most comfortable of the bunch. The others seem to have a more aggressive riding position, which I wouldn't want on this type of bike. I do wish Honda used the open swingarm on more bikes.....that is a totally awesome feature, for looks, cleaning, and service too.

In conclusion: Open swingarms make the world a better place.
Open swingarm with shhhhhaft. (ah crap, sounds like a bloody BMW).
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Does any CB1100 owners here ever fantasize about the Moto Guzzi Griso or the BMW NineT?

I know, I know, the later have shaft drives. There are also decent video reviews of the threesome. But does anyone here fantasize these others?

If so, can you share why (or why not)?
Three bike comparo from a few years ago. Not sure if you were referencing this.

 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Does any CB1100 owners here ever fantasize about the Moto Guzzi Griso or the BMW NineT?

I know, I know, the later have shaft drives. There are also decent video reviews of the threesome. But does anyone here fantasize these others?

If so, can you share why (or why not)?
Three bike comparo from a few years ago. Not sure if you were referencing this.

Three bike comparo from a few years ago. Not sure if you were referencing this.

That be one of them, yes.
 
I owned a Griso for a while. Tenni Green, gorgeous. Striking bike. And fun to ride and quite comfortable. Massive electrical problems, and a dealership 60 miles away made it a less than happy marriage. Traded it in on my now also gone CB.

I’d own another Griso, especially at the price you can get leftover stock now. But not as an only bike.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Henrik_imp said:
Back in the summer of 2014 when I ended up getting my CB1100, I was originally in the market for the R9T. I wrote some blog entries of my initial test of the BMW, and then also tests of the Griso and finally the Honda. In case you are interested:

The Beemer

So Now What?

Moto Guzzi Griso

Honda CB1100

My New Therapy
Hey - great, thanks Henrik.
Capo_imp said:
I owned a Griso for a while. Tenni Green, gorgeous. Striking bike. And fun to ride and quite comfortable. Massive electrical problems, and a dealership 60 miles away made it a less than happy marriage. Traded it in on my now also gone CB.

I’d own another Griso, especially at the price you can get leftover stock now. But not as an only bike.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting feedback - thanks Capo.
 
Back
Top