CB1100 Trike?

Jeephoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
As much as I love my CB1100 DLX, I can never see a day without riding it. However, I am getting older, and wonder if, or when, I cannot physically ride it. I had the idea of, if/when the time comes, converting my CB to a Trike so I can continue riding.

Harley-Davidson "baggers" and Gold Wings are very popular around here converted to "Trikes" or additional "outrigger wheels". They are popular with the older riders because of the stability and balancing safety of the big, heavy bikes.

What do y'all think about a three-wheel CB1100 "Trike"?
 
I don't think it would look right. Even though the riding position isn't all that bad, if an old geezer would need a trike, I'd think he'd also need a plush type seat and floor boards.
 
Harleys and Goldwings are easily converted by using kits from Motor Trike or a couple other companies. I doubt they make one for the CB, but who knows. I do know that I would not be able to convert one. Metalmaven maybe, but not me.
 
I can't speak to how easy to convert it might be, nor could I say I think it would be the best looking machine; but, I can say it is important to love the machine you're on. That said, if you love the bike and have the funds to get a custom trike job, go for it!
I think the side car would be pretty cool. Would only add to the nostalgia vibe of the CB. You'd definitely get more looks! Good luck and ride safe friend!
 
HA thanks POPGUN :cool:

Anything is possible, don't let anyone tell you different. I bet you could have a pretty sweet trike made out of the cb1100. Whether it looks right or not is a matter of opinion, just as long as it looks right to you! Now I have to go Google cb750 trikes.. :biker:
 
I would stick with the trike idea. A CB would definitely look cool with a side car, but they are a bear to drive. I have a Ural and it's great for around town, but still requires a lot of energy to drive. I rode a Bonnie with a sidecar a couple of weeks ago thinking it would be better, but it wasn't. Would like to try a BMW some day. Now the CanAm is a much different story. It has all the smoothness and performance that the CB has, it just don't lean.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
I would stick with the trike idea. A CB would definitely look cool with a side car, but they are a bear to drive. I have a Ural and it's great for around town, but still requires a lot of energy to drive. I rode a Bonnie with a sidecar a couple of weeks ago thinking it would be better, but it wasn't. Would like to try a BMW some day. Now the CanAm is a much different story. It has all the smoothness and performance that the CB has, it just don't lean.
The trike wouldn't lean either. I can say the Spyders get much better safety rating than any trike. The RS is going to be the closest ride to the CB, and they are a blast. My parents have them and they tour all over the country on the standard Spyder RTs.
 
Whatever keeps you on the road is a good thing. Trikes are worse than sidecar- equipped motorbikes in terms of handling and steering. The Spyder would be your best bet for practicality.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
I would stick with the trike idea. A CB would definitely look cool with a side car, but they are a bear to drive. I have a Ural and it's great for around town, but still requires a lot of energy to drive. I rode a Bonnie with a sidecar a couple of weeks ago thinking it would be better, but it wasn't. Would like to try a BMW some day. Now the CanAm is a much different story. It has all the smoothness and performance that the CB has, it just don't lean.
+1 on the CanAm. I rode one at Daytona last year and when the time comes (hopefully not too soon), one will be in my garage! Then I'll mount the CB inside the house and just admire it's design!
 
I think the CB11 would look great as a trike personally. It all depends on the body style and wheels you use on the kit to make it match properly. Any bike can be converted with funds and the right people doing it.
 
I would look for a good used Spyder with it advantage of dual front wheel stability and electronic stability aids.

Remember what happened to Arte Johnson when he rode a tricycle.
 
Wonder how Buffalohead is getting along?
 
redbirds_imp said:
I would look for a good used Spyder with it advantage of dual front wheel stability and electronic stability aids.

Remember what happened to Arte Johnson when he rode a tricycle.
No mate. What did happen?

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I would look for a good used Spyder with it advantage of dual front wheel stability and electronic stability aids.

Remember what happened to Arte Johnson when he rode a tricycle.
No mate. What did happen?

Cheers
No mate. What did happen?

Cheers
Comedian Arte Johnson had a tricycle routine on the "Laugh-in" TV show years ago. Clad in a yellow rain coat, he would pedal vigorously into some object and tip over. Funny to watch and a demonstration of the instability of a trike of this layout.

The Robin Reliant also demonstrates the folly of such configurations.

 
Well done, redbirds. That was good for a laugh.
 
I bought the CB with the plan to hang a sidecar on it in the future. Currently own, and thoroughly enjoy riding, a Ural Retro. Super fun. Someday I'll drop down to just one bike and want something super solid and dependable. I admit to getting older but plan to go kicking and screaming loudly all the way. Sidecar vs. trike? No question here.
Sidecar! A well setup rig handles great and is no problem to ride - 20,000 miles in the mountains of NC,Va, and WV plus the same along the coast and thru the foothills made a convert out of me.
Wife has a Can-Am, super machine. Would buy one for myself if I hadn't discovered sidecars. Check out Claude Stanley And Freedom sidecars in central PA.
Only question is a cargo bed or a bullet style. Hannibal makes good stuff but I like the classics.
Just can't handle the trike concept, refuse to admit defeat.
 
Back
Top