CB1100 Sidecar Experiment

deltamark

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,

I’m fairly new here and recently introduced myself in the “New Members” thread. After a suggestion from another CB1100 Forum member, I decided to start a thread about my new-to-me 2014 CB1100 standard / sidecar rig. This is my first rig and first CB1100.

c7acb69e07d9910e970eea7e2100f552.jpg

605d6c95adcc24a98ee90de8fa7fcfb1.jpg


I’d been interested in and fascinated by sidecars for several years. Did a lot of research and began seriously shopping for a rig late last summer. I was being really picky about what I wanted and since I didn’t really find it, decided to have one built.

I read some advice about when building a sidecar rig to start with the bike you like. : ) Well, the CB1100 was on my radar for a while. I was aware that not all bikes are ideal to use for a rig, but the CB seemed to have enough of the elements to give it a go. I also saw pictures of another CB1100 / sidecar combo on this site, so I knew it could be done.

I purchased my CB back in December from a private seller.
ead9995134e3ee5cd411bb525cd7bad5.jpg

The bike appeared to be in very good condition and had about 2,600 miles. Earlier in December, I also found a 2002 Ural Tourist sidecar-only for sale at Heindl Engineering in Eaton, Ohio.
The sidecar looked a bit weathered so I had it painted.

I contracted with Bob Wark of [url=http://www.warkshop.com/]The Warkshop to install the sidecar frame. Bob is a professional sidecar builder / seller and his work is top notch. He fabricated a subframe to link the sidecar frame to the CB. He had to remove the center stand and customize and replace a new left seat bracket to attach the subframe.
I picked up the installed frame a few weeks ago, took it home and fastened the tub onto the frame.

I’ve taken a few test rides since then and am extremely pleased! I knew going in that piloting a sidecar rig would be dramatically different than riding a motorcycle and it is. I have a good deal to learn and plan to continue practicing my skills before I begin with my real adventure … traveling with my dog, Rudi!


I have a lot of things I want to add to this rig and it will take time and $. Will post more in the future. In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to some better weather and a lot of riding!!!
 
Very interesting. BTW do you know if Rudi likes riding in a side car and will stay put when rolling down the road?

Forum member 4 Paws has lots of hack experience. I hope he sees this and chimes in.
 
Thread starter
Last year I borrowed a friend's sidecar rig and took Rudi for a short ride. He seemed to be fine with it. I think I was much more nervous about it than he was.

I will be using a harness on Rudi with multiple attach points. My plan is to secure him inside the sidecar in a way that gives him room to lie down, but not exit the sidecar.

I started training him last weekend to get into the sidecar. That part was pretty easy! I'll probably start him off with short rides until we're both more comfortable.




The ferret_imp said:
Very interesting. BTW do you know if Rudi likes riding in a side car and will stay put when rolling down the road?

Forum member 4 Paws has lots of hack experience. I hope he sees this and chimes in.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Dog looks well trained
Thanks Ferret. We've been really lucky. He's a rescue and came to us as a 1 year old with the most amazingly laid-back attitude and complete willingness to accept any type of training. He is now over 8 years old though, so I really wanted to get this in soon.

peterbaron_imp said:
Well, would like to see Rudi's helmet and riding gear:P

pb
Hey Peterbaron, I'm still in the process of acquiring gear for Rudi, but here's his raincoat and eye protection.

37a920f5b97c2e364cdc88a0a8f5e81f.jpg

86c2071ec81ba91cf78651bc2dea49cf.jpg


Being that I plan on removing the windshield from the sidecar, and that it rains nearly every time I'm on a road trip, I'd feel better about providing at least a little weather protection for Rudi. And believe me, if there was a truly protective helmet for canines, I would pursue it. Woof!

pb
[/QUOTE]

736cc_imp said:
Empty sidecars need lots of weight added.
I am currently riding with two 40-lb. bags of water softener salt in the sidecar. When Rudi rides, I'll of course remove the salt. He weighs about 94 lbs.
 
I've thought about adding a sidecar. I'm wondering about the need to change rake/trail, probably with a different triple tree. How has the stock setup worked for you so far?
 
Yesss!! This thread rules!! Rudi looks like a very very good boy. Can't wait to see more his sidecar adventures.

Am I mistaken, or is there a brace connected to your front fork? Wondering if this standard and how that affects steering.
 
Well that's a brilliant idea... I've been eyeing Urals myself for some time and was put off by the lack of space in the garage for another bike w/ sidecar. Looking forward to your ride reports, deltamark.

By the way, AFAIK Ural sidecars usually have drum brakes(and sometimes a drive shaft) on the hub; did you connect the brake to the one of the brake circuits of the CB?
 
Do you plan on attending the rally in KY? I (and many others) would love to see this rig in person.

There certainly is a bit of a learning curve when riding a sidecar rig. Exiting my town is a steep hill with a fairly sharp turn at the bottom, my first ride I went down the hill with far too much speed. It was all I could do to keep from going in the ditch on the opposite ride of the road, if there had been any traffic coming I would have been screwed.

Stupid physics.
 
Thread starter
Roper_imp said:
I've thought about adding a sidecar. I'm wondering about the need to change rake/trail, probably with a different triple tree. How has the stock setup worked for you so far?
I've not yet had any modifications done to the rake / trail. Plan to put some miles on and get a feel for the rig before considering those types of modifications. So far, I've been very satisfied with the the stock setup, but I haven't ridden it a lot yet.

dbarkdoll_imp said:
Yesss!! This thread rules!! Rudi looks like a very very good boy. Can't wait to see more his sidecar adventures.

Am I mistaken, or is there a brace connected to your front fork? Wondering if this standard and how that affects steering.
Yes, that is a VW steering damper attached to the front fork. It is supposed to reduce some wobble that naturally occurs at certain speeds. I may remove it as I become more comfortable driving the rig.

tuareg_imp said:
Well that's a brilliant idea... I've been eyeing Urals myself for some time and was put off by the lack of space in the garage for another bike w/ sidecar. Looking forward to your ride reports, deltamark.

By the way, AFAIK Ural sidecars usually have drum brakes(and sometimes a drive shaft) on the hub; did you connect the brake to the one of the brake circuits of the CB?
I did not have the sidecar drum break connected to the CB. Considered doing it, but it seems that quite a bit of fabrication would be necessary and at least for now, it doesn't seem like I'm going to need it. (Famous last words! : )
Banned_imp said:
Do you plan on attending the rally in KY? I (and many others) would love to see this rig in person.

There certainly is a bit of a learning curve when riding a sidecar rig. Exiting my town is a steep hill with a fairly sharp turn at the bottom, my first ride I went down the hill with far too much speed. It was all I could do to keep from going in the ditch on the opposite ride of the road, if there had been any traffic coming I would have been screwed.

Stupid physics.
I would like to attend the KY rally, but not sure yet. Already have two other sidecar road trips planned for June; the United Sidecar Association National Rally in Indiana and the ROMP Music Festival in KY. I'll definitely try to squeeze it in, though.

"steep hill with a fairly sharp turn at the bottom ..." Ugh! I haven't had to navigate a situation like that yet, but have already had a couple of "Oh sh*t" moments. Working on eliminating those. : )
 
Wanna pet that dog real bad :D

I followed a thread on another message board, where user fabricated his own sidecar frame. But his setup allowed for the sidecar to lean. Yours looks rigid? Does it work like an offset trike?
 
Thread starter
LikeAfox_imp said:
Wanna pet that dog real bad :D

I followed a thread on another message board, where user fabricated his own sidecar frame. But his setup allowed for the sidecar to lean. Yours looks rigid? Does it work like an offset trike?
LOL! Rudi is a very friendly dog and is very cool with most everyone he meets. I'm sure he'd happily accept petting!

I've heard of the leaner sidecar rigs, but don't really know much about them. Mine isn't one of those. Also not sure exactly how an offset trike functions or handles, but I'd guess that a sidecar rig is quite different.
I went for a ride this past Saturday and covered about 110 miles. I connected a newly purchased controller for my heated jacket before taking off. It was about 39° when I left my house and I did encounter some rain. Put on the heaviest riding gloves I have.

This is my first naked bike and my torso was warm enough from the heated jacket, but I certainly noticed the wind on my chest and helmet and after a while, a bit of a chill on my hands. I know that heated grips are an option for the CB, but I might prefer a pair of heated gloves instead. I’ve also been monitoring the windshield threads on this forum and even though I like the naked look, might add some type of windscreen at some point. I think it would be helpful on trips and in cooler conditions like this.

I live in Northwest Ohio where most of the roads are straight and flat, but there is one very nice curvy road not too far from me … Ohio Route 110 then Route 65 along the Maumee River. As with many roads that snake along rivers, its a very nice ride. The curves gave me a good chance to really feel how the rig handled.

1a8914dedceec9f8de5b9b5863e52d06.jpg


I also realized that the camber of the road affects how the rig handles and on this road, I definitely needed to maintain a firmer grip on the handlebars at all times. It also required more physical effort to ride on a road like this. I felt it in my arms the next day. I guess this is why many sidecarists modify their steering with leading link front ends. Still, I’m OK with it right now. I like the fact that I’ll actually get some arm conditioning exercise while riding this rig! : )

The weather here isn’t supposed to get much better this week and next, but that’s OK. I’ll use the cold weather to practice more before I start taking Rudi on some rides.
 
Back
Top