CB1100 scarcity

pdedse_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
As much as I love to ride, SoCal to Ft Worth is a horribly boring, ugly, and uninspiring ride, especially on the interstate. I'd trailer the bike!
Colorado could spoil one, but I just can't agree with horribly boring, ugly and uninspiring for AZ, NM and TX...lots of amazing views, wide-open country, interesting formations, historical sites along the way, be it the more northerly 40 route or the southern 8 and/or 10 route. From the interstates, you can do lots of angle routes on the way to break up the long stretches.

Now if one doesn't want to put the miles on the bike, or dislikes long-distance riding in general, I guess that's a another matter.
I am jaded, but sitting on I-8 / I-10 for hundreds upon hundreds of miles holds no appeal. It's straight, flat, and boring. I prefer to avoid freeways, even in CO, as much as possible. Same with spending hour upon hour on I-70 or I-80 across the Plains.

I've completed eight 1000/24's over the years, but none were on the interstate. Doubt I'd still be up to one, but LD riding is a lot of fun and very appealing.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
As much as I love to ride, SoCal to Ft Worth is a horribly boring, ugly, and uninspiring ride, especially on the interstate. I'd trailer the bike!
Colorado could spoil one, but I just can't agree with horribly boring, ugly and uninspiring for AZ, NM and TX...lots of amazing views, wide-open country, interesting formations, historical sites along the way, be it the more northerly 40 route or the southern 8 and/or 10 route. From the interstates, you can do lots of angle routes on the way to break up the long stretches.

Now if one doesn't want to put the miles on the bike, or dislikes long-distance riding in general, I guess that's a another matter.
I am jaded, but sitting on I-8 / I-10 for hundreds upon hundreds of miles holds no appeal. It's straight, flat, and boring. I prefer to avoid freeways, even in CO, as much as possible. Same with spending hour upon hour on I-70 or I-80 across the Plains.

I've completed eight 1000/24's over the years, but none were on the interstate. Doubt I'd still be up to one, but LD riding is a lot of fun and very appealing.
Funny...I love the desert...the "nothing out there". I find the long stretches therapeutic. I guess for me it depends on the traffic too. Once you get away from cities, those interstates can be downright lonely. I settle in...get a song in my head, and start humming...then singing outloud...I sound pretty good at speed all locked up in my full face helmet and ear plugs in.
 
Is the motorcycle rider culture friendly in the US in general?
Most riders here in the UK do a friendly nod although there will always be some who don’t.

I think the culture has changed over the years here in the UK for sure. For the better.

We have no really long straight roads here in the UK except for our freeways which we call Motorways.
We do however have lots of narrow lanes and village/country routes to take which are always more fun.
 
I dont mind a nice lonely stretch of interstate out west ( there are no lonely stretches of interrstate back east.). Hours spent alone with your thoughts can be very theraputic. Heck I've ridden thru Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Montana.... long empty stretches of road as far as the eye could see. The terrain all looked different than the midwest. The only one I didnt care for was Kansas.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I dont mind a nice lonely stretch of interstate out west ( there are no lonely stretches of interrstate back east.). Hours spent alone with your thoughts can be very theraputic. Heck I've ridden thru Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Montana.... long empty stretches of road as far as the eye could see. The terrain all looked different than the midwest. The only one I didnt care for was Kansas.
Wha...??!!?? I'm shocked! How can you not like Kansas with its warm welcome...
4c132bd81bb4f4655d87f2e144840b44.jpg


It's got rivers
7e6146bb4cbbc14c4ca580c587cf5749.jpg


Gorgeous architecture
2cabb38615167dd8fe8b5135bddc5979.jpg


Fine dining
b0767a0e52f1b53aa57ba25665f0b9a5.jpg


Hi quality lodging
b782937210dae3dd051887cdd4f34533.jpg


And the mountainous views are otherworldly!
f63347de8cce9f18ec2c129805fc5c17.jpg


:biker:...................................>:biker:....................................>:biker:
 
Sorry, but last time I had to long-haul across Kansas, I watched most of the Ken Burns Civil War series. You don't see much of that fine architecture, cuisine or ball-of-twine museums from I-70.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
A remote rural and lone tornado could be an attraction.
You can watch it from the safe confines of Toto's TacOZ
a00e45f62906e71a6efb4e5a61b6db0f.jpg


I guess there's no place like home.
 
Thread starter
Ha-ha!! There was a bonanza of entertainment there! If I was to ride one bike from CA to TX, it would be the BMW, on country roads. The Beemer is the touring bike, the CB is the city bike, but I am leaning toward trailering them both, or shipping the CB and riding the Beemer. Maybe I could get my BIL to ride along. I rode a Triumph Bonnie from Killeen, TX to Corpus Christi, then back to Killeen, in 1971, and when they say it's flooding down in TX, they ain't kiddin'! Water was hub-deep on those farm roads between fields, but it was all adventure.
 
pdedse_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I dont mind a nice lonely stretch of interstate out west ( there are no lonely stretches of interrstate back east.). Hours spent alone with your thoughts can be very theraputic. Heck I've ridden thru Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Montana.... long empty stretches of road as far as the eye could see. The terrain all looked different than the midwest. The only one I didnt care for was Kansas.
Wha...??!!?? I'm shocked! How can you not like Kansas with its warm welcome...
4c132bd81bb4f4655d87f2e144840b44.jpg


It's got rivers
7e6146bb4cbbc14c4ca580c587cf5749.jpg


Gorgeous architecture
2cabb38615167dd8fe8b5135bddc5979.jpg


Fine dining
b0767a0e52f1b53aa57ba25665f0b9a5.jpg


Hi quality lodging
b782937210dae3dd051887cdd4f34533.jpg


And the mountainous views are otherworldly!
f63347de8cce9f18ec2c129805fc5c17.jpg


:biker:...................................>:biker:....................................>:biker:
Wha...??!!?? I'm shocked! How can you not like Kansas with its warm welcome...
761b2ad53d30156b4e78bc6120293096.jpg


It's got rivers
86af87e81e0cdb23f1ef78aa402bff7a.jpg


Gorgeous architecture
7d641710e3b00b4235101e2ebb38eac0.jpg


Fine dining
6957fb665f2e84df4264493dab2c03eb.jpg


Hi quality lodging
72d6e38dc00d4d314bf553ebcdb23b7e.jpg


And the mountainous views are otherworldly!
06ea076f8cf8c6254cb7d75747040f36.jpg


:biker:...................................>:biker:....................................>:biker:

:rofl:
 
Back
Top