CB1100 scarcity

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
As some may know, the wife and I are moving to TX later this year to be closer to our son and his family. I was going to trailer my two bikes back there on a one-way rented U-Haul, towed behind the wife's vehicle, a Honda CR-V, which is already set up for it. Knowing she would not want to drive/tow the trailer, I was going to drive, and she will drive my car, a Honda Accord Coupe. It's a two-day haul to Ft.Worth, with an overnight stop in El Paso. Then, I got to thinking, why transport two bikes back there? I thought I'd just sell both bikes here in SoCal and eliminate the hassles of transporting two relatively common bikes to TX. Living in SoCal has its advantages; there are more cars, bikes, airplanes and boats for sale here than in any other major metropolis in the US. When I sold my sailboat five years ago, I was getting emails from Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii. Surely, I could replace the Honda in TX, right? Just for sh!ts and giggles, I went on craigslist Dallas and searched for a Honda CB1100. NOT ONE! There were a few BMWs, but not one Honda CB1100. I searched the whole state, not one. Now I'm thinking I will transport the Honda halfway across the country, especially since I have it pretty much setup like I want it.
 
If it's a matter of convenience, think of how much you'll miss the bike if you sell it before you leave. Especially since, as you say, it's set up just how you like it. If you can make a little room for it, you'll thank yourself when you get to Texas.

No offense to anyone on the forum who lives in El Paso. But, the last company I worked for had a factory in El Paso, which I visited regularly. We weren't allowed to leave company vehicles in hotel parking lots for security reasons. Make sure you haul that puppy in an enclosed U-Haul.
 
If you are moving to an area where your bike is scarce then you can enjoy the exclusivity.

It's nice to have something different from everyone else. :biker:
 
Moving from SoCal to Texas... Seems like a lot of folks have been doing that recently (or to Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, or Colorado).

I agree with the folks here. Bring your CB with you!
 
Take the bike with you, CharlieBravo.
 
Welcome to Texas Charlie Bravo, I live in Arlington ( in between Dallas and Fort Worth). Here are a couple of links to Cb1100s at a dealer in Grapevine, which is about a 30 to 45 minute drive from Dallas or FW, depending on time of day and traffic: | DFW Honda and | DFW Honda . Most all the Honda dealers EXCEPT Arlington ( it used to be D&S Kawasaki Honda, and is now Progressive Powersports ) are owned by the same family. Consequently the attitude between all those dealerships is similar and not my cup of tea. The two bikes linked are at one of those dealerships. In fact, I went there for another forum member to check out an overpriced 2014 Deluxe at the Grapevine shop that they would not budge on price.

There were not many CB1100s in the DFW area when I bought my 2017EX. The Arlington shop found one in the crate and ordered it in for me back then. More recently I bought my 2020 Blue Monkey from Arlington. and it too was right out of the crate. As has already been pointed out, if your bike is just the way you want it, in the long run maybe a better move to put up with some transport inconveniences, than trying to find a replacement after the move that you like. Any questions about the area, let me know and I will try to provide info.
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
Welcome to Texas Charlie Bravo, I live in Arlington ( in between Dallas and Fort Worth). Here are a couple of links to Cb1100s at a dealer in Grapevine, which is about a 30 to 45 minute drive from Dallas or FW, depending on time of day and traffic: | DFW Honda and | DFW Honda . Most all the Honda dealers EXCEPT Arlington ( it used to be D&S Kawasaki Honda, and is now Progressive Powersports ) are owned by the same family. Consequently the attitude between all those dealerships is similar and not my cup of tea. The two bikes linked are at one of those dealerships. In fact, I went there for another forum member to check out an overpriced 2014 Deluxe at the Grapevine shop that they would not budge on price.

There were not many CB1100s in the DFW area when I bought my 2017EX. The Arlington shop found one in the crate and ordered it in for me back then. More recently I bought my 2020 Blue Monkey from Arlington. and it too was right out of the crate. As has already been pointed out, if your bike is just the way you want it, in the long run maybe a better move to put up with some transport inconveniences, than trying to find a replacement after the move that you like. Any questions about the area, let me know and I will try to provide info.
Thanks, 2017EX and to all responders. My son lives in North Richland Hills. Good to know a fellow rider lives nearby. I think ya'll are right. Be better to put up with the small hassle of transporting than the major hassle of replacing it.
 
Could you make a plan to ride it to Texas before or after the main move? :D
 
Take the bikes you KNOW with you instead of buying the UNKNOWN.
We took 4 bikes with us from NY to NC on my own trailer ( two trips) and it was no big deal at all.
 
It'd might be less expensive and certainly more fun to move your stuff and then fly back and ride it home.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Take the bikes you KNOW with you instead of buying the UNKNOWN.
We took 4 bikes with us from NY to NC on my own trailer ( two trips) and it was no big deal at all.
^^ as above ^^
 
DON'T DO IT. Total regret when I moved I sold a cherry Goldwing, the 1200S Bandit and the wife's GS500. You're right lots of used bikes in So Cal so the prices were give away scale. You could ship your bikes, insured for a few hundred dollars and continue to enjoy them in the TX sun. However buying a new bike to enjoy is a very good experience.....
 
Ya know, as fun as the idea of moving your family and your stuff, and then going back for your bike and riding it to Texas sounds, I have a friend. We met a few years back when I found him on the side of the road broken down in the desert half way to Vegas. He had moved to Utah and went back to L.A. to ride to his new home.

I had a little space in the trailer I was pulling so I was able to haul him to Vegas to get sorted out, and we talked along the way.

It sounded exciting to ride to his new place, but with all of the stress and fatigue of the move, he had overlooked some things on the bike. He also had a dead phone because he forgot a charger. He was regretting the decision and just wanted to get back to his family.

Not saying it would happen to you, but if you think about riding, just plan carefully. This will be a stressful time for you and your family.
 
As much as I love to ride, SoCal to Ft Worth is a horribly boring, ugly, and uninspiring ride, especially on the interstate. I'd trailer the bike!
 
I trailered my cb1100 from Pa to Ak and back this summer. I was stunned by how easy it was to do. That was a bucket list maneuver. If not for the speeding ticket I got from the tattooed trooper it would have been pretty much a perfect plan.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
As much as I love to ride, SoCal to Ft Worth is a horribly boring, ugly, and uninspiring ride, especially on the interstate. I'd trailer the bike!
Colorado could spoil one, but I just can't agree with horribly boring, ugly and uninspiring for AZ, NM and TX...lots of amazing views, wide-open country, interesting formations, historical sites along the way, be it the more northerly 40 route or the southern 8 and/or 10 route. From the interstates, you can do lots of angle routes on the way to break up the long stretches.

Now if one doesn't want to put the miles on the bike, or dislikes long-distance riding in general, I guess that's a another matter.
 
When I need to drive across Texas, I park my phone next to the speedometer in the truck and watch cartoons or documentaries. Only so much flat-and-beige landscape to take in.
 
Twenty minutes outside Winslow and a CB1100 passes you in your woodgrain-sided minivan (A/C no longer works).



You want to be that person on the CB.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
As some may know, the wife and I are moving to TX later this year to be closer to our son and his family. I was going to trailer my two bikes back there on a one-way rented U-Haul, towed behind the wife's vehicle, a Honda CR-V, which is already set up for it. Knowing she would not want to drive/tow the trailer, I was going to drive, and she will drive my car, a Honda Accord Coupe. It's a two-day haul to Ft.Worth, with an overnight stop in El Paso. Then, I got to thinking, why transport two bikes back there? I thought I'd just sell both bikes here in SoCal and eliminate the hassles of transporting two relatively common bikes to TX. Living in SoCal has its advantages; there are more cars, bikes, airplanes and boats for sale here than in any other major metropolis in the US. When I sold my sailboat five years ago, I was getting emails from Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii. Surely, I could replace the Honda in TX, right? Just for sh!ts and giggles, I went on craigslist Dallas and searched for a Honda CB1100. NOT ONE! There were a few BMWs, but not one Honda CB1100. I searched the whole state, not one. Now I'm thinking I will transport the Honda halfway across the country, especially since I have it pretty much setup like I want it.
Hi, I live outside Corpus Christi, Texas, in Odem. I bought my 2103 CB1100 off "Cycle Trader" from a guy up near Dallas. They are for sale, just look at Cycle trader on the internet. I just bought a BEAUTIFUL 2017 CB1100EX out of North Houston with only 1200 miles on it! They are for sale, just have to know where to look. Let me know when you get here. Texas is big, and to visit anyone takes some time if not in the same city. I will post pix of the 2017 soon. Already put a crash bar and windshield on it. Of my 3 bikes, it has become my #1 ride to work, hence the windshield. Hope to see you in Texas!
LongRanger_imp said:
As much as I love to ride, SoCal to Ft Worth is a horribly boring, ugly, and uninspiring ride, especially on the interstate. I'd trailer the bike!
The winds in West Texas can blow a bike right off the road, and I am not kidding. They hit sometimes at 50/60mph at right angles to interstate 10. Be careful if you ride and do not do it during the Summer when the winds are the worst! I see bikes out there somewhat, but most are big touring rigs that handle the wind a little better. Lane placement is critical in case the wind does move you as it has me. Can be quite scary!
 
Back
Top