CB1100 RS, CB1000R & CB1100EX

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
GOOD NEWS,
We already have "coming soon" in Canada, 2018 CB1100RS-ABS, CB1000R-ABS..
So far there is no price for these two..Both in black as per ad...

:D

pb[/b]
 
It look just the CB1100RS is coming this year, the EX is still listed as the 2017 model on Honda Canada.

I really want to see the RS in person.
 
Purely for selfish reasons, I'm hoping Honda doesn't bring the '18 EX to America. Looks like they may not be bringing it to Canada, so is this a sign that America won't be receiving it either?
 
Typically the US market gets more choices than we do here in Canada as it is much larger so you may very well get both.

Our market is so small it wouldn't make much sense to have both models here but I have been wrong before (just as my wife).
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Purely for selfish reasons, I'm hoping Honda doesn't bring the '18 EX to America. Looks like they may not be bringing it to Canada, so is this a sign that America won't be receiving it either?
This we do not know yet, only 2017 EX is listed so far...but if we get ONE, we'll ship it to you...+ duty..just kidd ya = get exited:biker:'18 EX

pb
 
Well, gee willikers, what to do...here I've been making my re-entry plans back into the cb1100 universe and had it figured out, I thought. Enjoy my Street Twin till fall and then sell and buy a left over '17 CB1100. Which would be huge for me because I bought the dark '14 and have never been particularly drawn to red bikes in general. But, I didn't disagree with some who thought that the '14 was too blackened out, particularly the engine case. Yet, the '14 black mag wheels were great in my estimate...

...so what do I see now? An '18 RS with the wheels I like, a polished engine cover, flashes of gold for the springs, forks and calipers--my HS colores were gold and black, mind you. Just beautiful. Guess we'll find out soon enough whether it makes its way south of the border as well.

Question for those who know about these things: a 17" wheel base vs an 18"? What ergo difference might there be? Does that mean the whole bike sits slightly lower to the ground? Would a wheel size difference make the hip-knee-foot triangle angles any different? Important for me because as a taller rider, I don't want to feel I'm on a smaller bike; rather I'm always trying to raise seat height, lower pegs, install handlebar risers...so would a smaller wheel base have any bearing on that?

Finally, are the handlebars on the RS the same as those of the EX? The RS bars seem "lower slung" if I'm not mistaken.
 
RS owner here, I cant see that the seat/peg distances are different to the EX, though i do suspect the RS bars are lower.
 
pdedse, no, 18" wheels will not change the ergonomics, vs 17" wheels. The EX sits no higher than the RS, and quite a bit lower than many bikes with 17" wheels.

The EX's bars are definitely higher and closer to the rider than the sportier bars on the RS, which require more of a forward lean. The EX also has lower footpegs, for greater legroom. All in all, the EX is more comfortable than the RS, which is biased towards sportier handling, even though the EX actually turns more quickly, due to its skinnier tires and greater leverage from its higher bars.
 
VLJ_imp said:
pdedse, no, 18" wheels will not change the ergonomics, vs 17" wheels. The EX sits no higher than the RS, and quite a bit lower than many bikes with 17" wheels.

The EX's bars are definitely higher and closer to the rider than the sportier bars on the RS, which require more of a forward lean. The EX also has lower footpegs, for greater legroom. All in all, the EX is more comfortable than the RS, which is biased towards sportier handling, even though the EX actually turns more quickly, due to its skinnier tires and greater leverage from its higher bars.
Thanks, VLJ...
5 years ago I wouldn't have paid no never mind, but now I have to pay attention to such details, and maybe forego looks for reality...still, my HS colors!
 
That's big news indeed! It will make a number of folks happy if they end up bringing the CB1100 RS to the States. There would likely be a new wave of people who I can bore with my stories of why I prefer my 2013 model, :rofl: I personally don't care as much for the looks of the CB1100 with the 17" wheels. But I definitely get what Hondas is going for here and I will admit to being envious of the tire choices available to the RS owners. I also think that the vintage Ducati-like tank looks better on the RS than it does on the EX though and wonder if this was the bike Honda had in mind all along when they came up with the new tank design. I too like the gold color tank.

Obviously the CB1100RS is not going to come close to the CB1000R in terms of performance. I actually really like the CB1000R and am excited to see Honda releasing this bike. But a bike like that would be wasted on me and I definitely would not enjoy the seat height that comes with it. Besides the sportier handling, the CB1100RS still has the nice torquey air-cooled engine going for it for the guys who appreciate that vibe (I happen to know that there are still a few folks like that, lol).
 
the footpegs lower of the EX realyyyy? ...........the saddle of the RS is 5mm higher and other material not that sliperi like the EX...but the distance of the bike over ground is the same.....just the RS has other suspensions....
the steer head angle ( or how is the right english word ? ) of the forc is smaller.....and the forcpipes has 3mm more diameter.....the fenders are plastic......the breaks are better (other type) the swingarm is of cours other bcos other weehls...and the turnlights are different
..
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
That's big news indeed! It will make a number of folks happy if they end up bringing the CB1100 RS to the States. There would likely be a new wave of people who I can bore with my stories of why I prefer my 2013 model, :rofl: I personally don't care as much for the looks of the CB1100 with the 17" wheels. But I definitely get what Hondas is going for here and I will admit to being envious of the tire choices available to the RS owners. I also think that the vintage Ducati-like tank looks better on the RS than it does on the EX though and wonder if this was the bike Honda had in mind all along when they came up with the new tank design. I too like the gold color tank.

Obviously the CB1100RS is not going to come close to the CB1000R in terms of performance. I actually really like the CB1000R and am excited to see Honda releasing this bike. But a bike like that would be wasted on me and I definitely would not enjoy the seat height that comes with it. Besides the sportier handling, the CB1100RS still has the nice torquey air-cooled engine going for it for the guys who appreciate that vibe (I happen to know that there are still a few folks like that, lol).
Guth,
Move to Canada and you can get your RS now!!!:P

pb
 
Guth,
Move to Canada and you can get your RS now!!!:P
[/QUOTE]

Good one. :D I'll give the RS a pass, but I definitely wouldn't mind living in BC — awesome steelhead fishing up there and the scenery looks amazing.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
The swingarm on the RS is aluminum, vs steel for the EX. Or so the reports say, anyway.
I am very sure it is massive built and would say alloy for sure, perhaps even aluminium (when in Europe by end of '17 visited Honda showroom with RS on the floor)..see link below

HONDA IN EUROPE

pb
 
Something about the gold on the RS is off to me. Should be a gold stripe on the tank too or even gold wheels, maybe that would ring. I think the look of the 2017EX (red) really nails it. However, if one of those 2018 CB1100Rs manages to make it to a local Honda dealership floor room I could change my mind.
 
Back
Top