CB1100 Restauration

Well that was lots of fun to watch. Thanks for posting that, just beautiful to see...my goodness, the patience!
 
I'd need some serious lessons (and a massive injection of patience, pdedse) before undertaking such a massive exercise.
 
He did a great job. Wonder if he needs a donor bike for his next vid lol

Me, I'd rather ride.
 
While it does look great now- he removed all the protective surface during his process.

I'd hate to see the bike in 6 months- especially if ridden in the rain a few times or left outside.
 
Wow, what a transformation! I'm a self-proclaimed detail freak, and love watching videos like that. One of my favorite YouTube channels is AmmoNYC. Very in-depth detail work. Yes, a shame that such a beautiful bike was in that kind of shape.

Had to stop and watch this one all the way through to see what she looked like at the end!
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
While it does look great now- he removed all the protective surface during his process.

I'd hate to see the bike in 6 months- especially if ridden in the rain a few times or left outside.
That is true, however, I am uncertain if he had much choice if keeping the budget to a minimum.

In terms of some chromed parts, rust penetrated the layer. In terms of some of the aluminum surfaces, even the hot surfaces (where it was applicable), some "Peek" final polish would have protected the surface for at least a year. I've done this on some 70's and early 80's bikes with success. But yeah, it means an annual rubbing maintenance ritual.

I am surprised he didn't "treat" the underside of the rear fender. It looked almost bad - well bad enough that I wouldn't wish to ride that CB in early and late winter on New Jersey roads.

Who knows what his ultimate plan for the CB is. Maybe to flip in a re-sale? Maybe his beater bike? Hopefully it still functions well enough.
 
It's sort of like having the headlights polished on your car. That's basically buffing off the remains of the burned clear coat on the plastic lenses. It looks great for a short period of time, but the bare plastic hazes more quickly in a short period of time if they aren't re-clear coated.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
While it does look great now- he removed all the protective surface during his process.

I'd hate to see the bike in 6 months- especially if ridden in the rain a few times or left outside.
Hi pd, is there protective coating on the chrome parts, or you're talking about other parts ? which ones ?
 
The Gecko_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
While it does look great now- he removed all the protective surface during his process.

I'd hate to see the bike in 6 months- especially if ridden in the rain a few times or left outside.
Hi pd, is there protective coating on the chrome parts, or you're talking about other parts ? which ones ?
Hi pd, is there protective coating on the chrome parts, or you're talking about other parts ? which ones ?
To the best of my knowledge, traditionally it has been the aluminum parts.

Salt solution and untreated aluminum is quite the reaction.
 
Back
Top