mattvoyle_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Was riding out near Point Mugu naval base today, knew I had to take this picture.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
XF, VX-4, was in that squadron 78-81, good times, but I worked on Tomcats!!mattvoyle_imp said:![]()
Was riding out near Point Mugu naval base today, knew I had to take this picture.
Much better, thanks!mattvoyle_imp said:Awesome! There was a kitty on display out there as well.![]()
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hey, I was at the London airshow that year, I spent 1998 with the Canadian Forces Parachute Team (Skyhawks) and performed there.ClassicVW_imp said:Beautiful. Two of my favorites. My best friend flew back seat in F4s for both the Marines and Air National Guard. I also recall being at the London Ontario airshow in '98 when the theme was "30 Years of Phantoms". He flew in that display. Many countries that used them sent planes.
Hey, I was at the London airshow that year, I spent 1998 with the Canadian Forces Parachute Team (Skyhawks) and performed there.Banned_imp said:Hey, I was at the London airshow that year, I spent 1998 with the Canadian Forces Parachute Team (Skyhawks) and performed there.ClassicVW_imp said:Beautiful. Two of my favorites. My best friend flew back seat in F4s for both the Marines and Air National Guard. I also recall being at the London Ontario airshow in '98 when the theme was "30 Years of Phantoms". He flew in that display. Many countries that used them sent planes.
I remember it being fairly crowded, and it seems to me that there were quite a few flybys by F4s - I am a big fan.
Did you ever get a chance to go up in an F4?ClassicVW_imp said:Yeah W/R, the Phantom did last a long time in service with other countries.
That same buddy of mine ran the bombing/strafing range in southern NJ for a few years. It's little known outside of the military. I saw units fly there from Maine, Ohio, Virginia etc to bomb and the pilots get graded on accuracy. It's laid out like a Soviet era air base. "Runways" are made with bulldozers, and scattered around are captured Soviet tanks, Anti-aircraft weapons and other goodies that are used as targets. Practice bombs are used so there's not any destruction of the targets. A couple of times I was allowed to hang out there and take photos. Two things stand out to me even to this day- The A-10s firing their cannon from right over my head into the target pits, and the crazy as all get-out USMC Phantom pilots making their final 'ordnance check' pass at the wooden control tower at high speed and about 50 feet from me. They shook the tower and I was standing on the outside walkway and I had to hook my arm over the outside railing to keep from being shaken or blown off.