Houtman_imp
Road warrior
peterbaron_imp said:Houtman_imp said:I still flirt with the girls at 68 years old !So do I, to keep my soul young and energetic
![]()
So do I, to keep my soul young and energetic
THAT IS VERY TRUE !
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
peterbaron_imp said:Houtman_imp said:I still flirt with the girls at 68 years old !So do I, to keep my soul young and energetic
![]()
So do I, to keep my soul young and energetic
I am not bitter. I ride a CB!misterprofessionality_imp said:boy howdy, somebody's bitter.
"Still there is a lot of peer pressure in the Harley fold to stay with Harley. " Man ain't that the truth. I have witnessed striking examples of that.The ferret_imp said:Man, I hate to chime in here, but Im a sucker for a good discussion so here we go.. Bear in mind my father rode Indians until 53 then rode Harleys until a few years before his death when he switched to small Hondas and Yamahas. I have owned 7 Harleys, the most recent of which was a 1994, but I recently went on a trip with a friend on his 2005 ish 1200 Sportster and we traded bikes for awhile so I could get a feel for a later model harley, cause everyone always says " have you ridden a modern one?"
I think Harleys today are MUCH better than they used to be..Much better. That being said, I think Bubbler underestimates the lifestyle draw, and how many Americans are drawn to Harley ( and now Indian, and in a way Victory) just because they are " American made". I believe the vast majority of Harley's are sold on this fact, and on the fact that when you buy one you are automatically absorbed into the life style. I believe " most" motorcycles, and most Harley's in particular, are ridden very little each year. I believe most Harley's are ridden mainly to rallies and poker runs and yes.... bars. That is not to say some very dedicated motorcyclists are not long distance enthusiasts who tour and ride many miles each year on Harley Davidson's. I see them when I am out touring and they are out in some desolate places, far from home, but never far from a Harley Dealership, (which is another draw for that brand..a very large dealer network). I would never say that the motor company has pulled over anything on the buying public...what Harley has done, has cleverly taken advantage of a desire among many motorcycle enthusiasts who want a motorcycle that looks and sounds a certain way,(which is the reason metric cruisers are so popular and the biggest sellers for Japan in this country) and relies on patriotism as a tool for sales. Their goal is to move American buyers of metric cruisers to Harleys eventually. Smart business model..and it's working. But to keep them on Harleys, the product has to be decent, and today it is. Maybe not the equivalent of a comparable Japanese machine, but close enough for most individuals.
Americans like to think of themselves as individuals, loners, bad asses and Harley has absolutely played to that image. I find it amusing that the new Indian Ads try to out Harley Harley, intimating to really be an individual you cant ride a Harley like everyone else, you must ride an Indian and be one of a kind. Yet their ads show bearded, dark sun glass wearing grimacing riders, wearing 1/2 helmets, fingerless gloves, engineer boots, black Leather jackets, ie: Harleys target audience. That may be brilliant. Still there is a lot of peer pressure in the Harley fold to stay with Harley. It will be interesting to watch.
This summer after I rode my buddy's 1200 and he rode my CB, we switched back and he made the comment that the only thing the 2 bikes had in common is that they were both motorcycles, that other than ergos, the CB was superior in every way. BTW he is not your typical HD rider, he owns no HD branded gear, and wears a full face helmet and a Hi-Viz jacket, so I believe he felt free to comment freely rather than toe the motor Co line. I am always free to speak my mind so I will publicly agree that his 1200 set up with mid mount pegs had better ergos than my CB. My front brakes were much better, his rear brakes were much better, my engine and handling was much better. Both bikes performed flawlessly on our 2000 mile trip.
Harley makes a good bike, Honda makes a good bike. Each individual is free to choose the brand that suits him ( or her).
I know this guy in Cocoa, who all he does is export Harleys to people overseas. He sent one to Guam. He boxes them up and ships them all over. Not new ones, used ones. Usually real nice looking ones too.GoldOxide_imp said:jitaylor: RE: "Still there is a lot of peer pressure in the Harley fold to stay with Harley. " Man ain't that the truth. I have witnessed striking examples of that.
- - -
Probably correct. However, lately I have not seen a HD on the asphalt from the 20th century. Where are they? Exported to Sweden? The last one I say was a '99 1200 Sportster ridden by a lady who was cursing bloody murder as the bike would not start or stay started. She recently brought it back from the shop. She swore that was it for the bike. However, time and time again, she continues to own it - never letting go.
Another co-worker with a '97 1200 Sportster had the engine rebuilt. He was going to dump the bike, but nevertheless did the shop job which turned out to be double the estimate cost. Now he kept it because he invested so much more into it.
Diehard!
In my neighborhood there are scads of HD's, and all of them are really nice. There are a few trikes too. But they only ride them on the weekends for breakfast. Never to the store or pharmacy or anywhere else.CIP57_imp said:Harley-Davidson Road Glide | Honda Gold Wing F6B | Dissimilar Metals
Having rented streetglides and owning a gold wing it would be a no brainier without even demo riding each of them. Lower seat height mid controls, shorter distance to bars on the honda = better comfort for me personally, not to mention Hp and torque difference all at the same price. Shields can all be modified to your preference. Now this would be for long overnight tours. They Harley may be fun for the weekend warrior going for breakfast and bullshitting at the gas station.