CB1100 or Harley?

I don't know about the seat height being lower on the Wing. Other then that I agree for the most part. The Harley guys just complain about the Honda esthetics and I see their point. However that's subjective.

Had to laugh they even said the Honda was easier to push then the Harley if you had too. Not sure that's correct but I'd hate to find out on either one.
 
Hey mike....If ya want a cruiser bike this is the one.....I suppose that you could do a 10hr ride but for me it would start be feeling like a job after 3 or 4hrs.....Thats just me.....Anyway....As for the Americian made thing....I realize the 1100 is made and assembled in Japan But... with that said... Here in West Centeral Ohio American Honda is A Big time American company Employing and creating a pretty impressive economy with all the production, assembly. Add all the contract suppliers and support companys like trucking and shipping that are local Ohio companys.....Man! I see it as an american company.....Just saying....I think ya made a great choice....
 
Wow, CB1100 vs a Fatboy?
About the only thing in common is the number of wheels.
But, having parted with a V-twin ,Road Star 1600 Silverado:thumbsup:, to get the CB I can certainly understand the attraction to the V-twin.
Heck, I'm already trying to figure out how to swing another R* to put next to the CB! But if you can only afford, or the wife will only tolerate:-/, one then just think about your riding style, what you want to do most and do what makes YOU happy.
Several brothers in the ALR are Harley die hards and swear by them. All have the newer Evos. Our Sgt at Arms has over 87K on a late model HD and he just did WV to MI to TX and back in one month. Two up with gear.
I've had four HDs in my time with the last a brand new '76 special edition that left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. And I'm irrational when it comes to holding a grudge.
The best long distance machine I've ever owned was a '76 Gold Wing, one of the models before they morphed into Buicks. The two CB 750s I owned were great and several people have mocked how in love I am with the CB1100.
Ride the CB and see if a HD dealer will let you test a Fatboy (if I ever tried on again it'd be the Heritage Classic) and see which brings out the biggest, longest lasting smile. Good luck with the choice and ride safe & happy.:cool:
 
Buffalorider_imp said:
Wow, CB1100 vs a Fatboy?
About the only thing in common is the number of wheels.
But, having parted with a V-twin ,Road Star 1600 Silverado:thumbsup:, to get the CB I can certainly understand the attraction to the V-twin.
Heck, I'm already trying to figure out how to swing another R* to put next to the CB! But if you can only afford, or the wife will only tolerate:-/, one then just think about your riding style, what you want to do most and do what makes YOU happy.
Several brothers in the ALR are Harley die hards and swear by them. All have the newer Evos. Our Sgt at Arms has over 87K on a late model HD and he just did WV to MI to TX and back in one month. Two up with gear.
I've had four HDs in my time with the last a brand new '76 special edition that left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. And I'm irrational when it comes to holding a grudge.
The best long distance machine I've ever owned was a '76 Gold Wing, one of the models before they morphed into Buicks. The two CB 750s I owned were great and several people have mocked how in love I am with the CB1100.
Ride the CB and see if a HD dealer will let you test a Fatboy (if I ever tried on again it'd be the Heritage Classic) and see which brings out the biggest, longest lasting smile. Good luck with the choice and ride safe & happy.:cool:
ALR?? please educate me..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
American Liberation Riders .... they protest against speed limiters .... :rofl:
 
A friend of mine made a cruiser out of his CB1100 (almost). He put risers on so he could sit back and put the biggest windshield he could. He absolutely loves it because he had a CB750 years ago. He does miss the "neutral" foot position of the 750, though. He's thinking about modifying the foot controls on the CB1100. I gave him a set of chrome (with rubber inserts) footboards that I had on a BMW R1200C. He can make anything because he's a fantastic machinist. He wants to move the foot controls forward a little and use the footboards instead of pegs. It won't be a sport bike any more but it will be a lot more comfortable and there's always the option of a custom seat.
 
Just a quick note since I haven't seen it mentioned. Almost all of the Gold Wings were made in the USA until just recently. If I was comparing something to a Harley it would be the Wing not the 1100.
 
grandpagl_imp said:
Just a quick note since I haven't seen it mentioned. Almost all of the Gold Wings were made in the USA until just recently. If I was comparing something to a Harley it would be the Wing not the 1100.
Where are GW's made now?
 
Get the Harley cb 1100 wonderful bike but no resale value whatsoever very disappointed Honda dealer don't even wanted on trade in
 
I dont know that Harley values are doing much better. There are pages and pages and pages of used Harleys for sale, and most dealers I know don't want anything to do with " another" used Harley. My local dealer just took in a used Fat Boy because he was able to get it so cheap he figured he couldn't lose, even if he had to hold onto it for awhile.
 
my local all-inclusive dealer is doing the same thing. they used to have 6 or 7 harleys on the lot (used) and here lately they finally got it down to 1. it's an XLH sportster 1200 and i swear it's been there for over 2 years.

conversely i just took my CB into a dealer to get the signal/headlight bracket swapped out for my custom one and one of the guys was begging me to sell it to them. said it was crazy sweet and he felt stupid for not buying one from the dealer when they had the chance to order them on a discount. pretty telling....people didn't want them when they were full price, that's a fact, but i think opinions are changing now that they've finally sold out (talking about 2014's of course).
 
Bah. I don't purchase bikes or cars for any hope of meaningful resale value. Cars in the north rot anyway from cold winter start-ups and high exposure to road salt. In my head, a bike gets part of its soul from its rider and the journeys it has been on. Journeys add character and life meaning to, what is otherwise just a machine to serve. So whether one rides a CB, a Vespa, a lawn mower, or for that matter, even a Harley - it is what you put in and what you value getting out. If you want $$, then don't ride the beast, especially in the rain. If you want vibe replay, then just ride and recall when we are happily slobbering in our rocking chair.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Bah. I don't purchase bikes or cars for any hope of meaningful resale value. Cars in the north rot anyway from cold winter start-ups and high exposure to road salt. In my head, a bike gets part of its soul from its rider and the journeys it has been on. Journeys add character and life meaning to, what is otherwise just a machine to serve. So whether one rides a CB, a Vespa, a lawn mower, or for that matter, even a Harley - it is what you put in and what you value getting out. If you want $$, then don't ride the beast, especially in the rain. If you want vibe replay, then just ride and recall when we are happily slobbering in our rocking chair.
Me too. I've never bought any bike or car with an intent to resell it. If have those sort thoughts, it only a rationalization for spending more money than I should. The truth is I'll buy a car for $500, put $1,500 into it, and sell if for $200, so recoupment clearly isn't part of my buying strategy.
 
Conversely, if a person desires to buy a brown-rusted and seized vintage motorcycle from some rural barn for $100, and then invests $20000 to "bring it alive", depending on the model it is quite unlikely that person will make money, let alone recoup just parts expenses. That person likely does it for emotional challenge, love, and passion. That is soul. The bike has a history - that is soul. Most likely, the motive is not financial gain, and if so, not significant.
 
I guess there are cars and bikes that can be bought and sold for profit, but an everyday car or bike is going to lose its owner money unless they get very lucky indeed. I'm hoping I can give my CB1100 away when one of us approaches the end of its useful life. By then it will owe me nothing.
 
I hope to drool over my CB relic when I am in my rocking chair. Heck, none of the kids around here seem interested in m/c's. They are more interested in submersing themselves in virtual hand-to-hand [combat], or whatever they are really [not] doing. I was flirting with the girlfriends when I was their age.
 
Back
Top