CB1100 or Harley?

After all the discussion I'm quite keen on your choice and the why's. I think the buying phase can be more fun than the riding phase so I highly encourage you to relish these moments. There will be a slight let down once you finally pull the trigger and can't (or should I say "shouldn't" be looking anymore) look any more. Every bike is a possible at this point. :)
 
Thread starter
Hey...wanted to thank everyone for all the comments on this thread and topic. A lot of great perspectives and opinions from what it appears a really great group of riders. Someone once said the best people ride a Honda!

Anyway, I have decided to buy a CB!! I absolutely love this bike!! The riding positions fits me perfectly from how I have ridden my whole life either on Honda CL's, dirt bikes, and triumph's. it also fits my intended riding style perfectly which is 99% back and mountain roads. I also want something that I can just hit the button and go for a quick ride or something longer. The old school look just draws me too it also. I have nothing against other brands but am really not in to all the other lifestyle stuff, not there is anything wrong with it, just not my thing.

So my now I have to find a 2013 with ABS or wait for 2014. Neither of my local dealers, both 10 minutes away, have one with ABS. However they said they cold trade for one if I want them too. Will check some other dealers within 1 1/2 hours or so to see what they have. Will still have lots of good riding weather left so would like to pick one up soon.

Thanks again and will post when I get one in the garage!
 
ARMike_imp said:
Hey...wanted to thank everyone for all the comments on this thread and topic. A lot of great perspectives and opinions from what it appears a really great group of riders. Someone once said the best people ride a Honda!

Anyway, I have decided to buy a CB!! I absolutely love this bike!! The riding positions fits me perfectly from how I have ridden my whole life either on Honda CL's, dirt bikes, and triumph's. it also fits my intended riding style perfectly which is 99% back and mountain roads. I also want something that I can just hit the button and go for a quick ride or something longer. The old school look just draws me too it also. I have nothing against other brands but am really not in to all the other lifestyle stuff, not there is anything wrong with it, just not my thing.

So my now I have to find a 2013 with ABS or wait for 2014. Neither of my local dealers, both 10 minutes away, have one with ABS. However they said they cold trade for one if I want them too. Will check some other dealers within 1 1/2 hours or so to see what they have. Will still have lots of good riding weather left so would like to pick one up soon.

Thanks again and will post when I get one in the garage!

Congrats!
 
I;ve owned four H-Ds in my life; two brand new and two used. Admittedly the last was a brand new 1976 Bicentennial Edition Liberty Glide.
I kept it for 370 odd miles before traded it for a Gold Wing
I have never really desired another one.
Before buying the CB I rode a Yamaha Road Star 1600 and I still sort of regret not finding a way to keep it AND get the CB.
It was the perfect V-twin.
People would always come up and ask what model H-D it was.
My reply, "The one that doesn't leak oil and always starts!"
 
ARMike_imp said:
Hey...wanted to thank everyone for all the comments on this thread and topic. A lot of great perspectives and opinions from what it appears a really great group of riders. Someone once said the best people ride a Honda!

Anyway, I have decided to buy a CB!! I absolutely love this bike!! The riding positions fits me perfectly from how I have ridden my whole life either on Honda CL's, dirt bikes, and triumph's. it also fits my intended riding style perfectly which is 99% back and mountain roads. I also want something that I can just hit the button and go for a quick ride or something longer. The old school look just draws me too it also. I have nothing against other brands but am really not in to all the other lifestyle stuff, not there is anything wrong with it, just not my thing.

So my now I have to find a 2013 with ABS or wait for 2014. Neither of my local dealers, both 10 minutes away, have one with ABS. However they said they cold trade for one if I want them too. Will check some other dealers within 1 1/2 hours or so to see what they have. Will still have lots of good riding weather left so would like to pick one up soon.

Thanks again and will post when I get one in the garage!
Congrats ARMike! Of course we all think you made the best choice. I am thinking it makes a lot of sense to let your favorite local dealer find you or trade for an ABS bike. The only reason I don't trade with my local dealer us because they have such a bad reputation. Of course if the farther away dealer's prices make it worth the drive, then it makes sense. Either way, it's great you're getting your new bike and we are all happy for you!
Ride Safe(ly)
BH
 
There's two like-new CBs for sale here..just a thought; you could save thousands and might even get a nice "Fly and Ride" out of the deal.

Then again, theres nothing quite like being "The First."
 
CB1100 or Harley?

I have owned 11 Harleys since 1991 and have been riding daily for the past 10 years in all weathers (we have lots of rain here in Wales) I carry out my own maintenence and have learned to cope with the dramas of day to day riding; my current Sportster 48 has had the following warranty work; replace ECU, bike broke down and had to be recovered, re-paint rear mudguard (fender) due to rust, re-powdercoat front forks, replace side stand cut out switch (fitted to International models), all this was in the last year, my bike is now out of warranty. I am considering buying a CB 1100.

My thoughts on the choice Honda/HD are as follows:

If you are a leisure rider-enjoy the laid back style ETC of HD.

If you are a daily rider-buy a Jap bike. The Honda cb 1100 looks great, and has excellent build quality.

I understand that Patriotism may affect your choice; I am a British Army veteran and totally respect this.

Regards
Gary M
 
Guys you can't dispute the market place. If you think Harley has some how figured a way to "put it over" on the cycle buying public please let's discuss what it is that "they" seem to know that few others do.

I am not convinced that the Harley Life style keeps the business a float and doing well. People just will not spend money for image alone. The bikes have to in the end carry the weight or the company would sink slowly into the sunset.

I think Harley makes an excellent bike. Personally I feel their engines are not up to modern standards. I am admittedly the odd man out and likely you other guys are as well. I am the only one I know who rides his Harleys with stock pipes. I believe the things that I don't appreciate about Harley are the thinks that many find most appealing.

Regardless it's nice have plenty to pick from. I tend to like and appreciate odd vehicles. I've owned Peugeots and SAAB's for proof of that statement. Harley's might be like a Chevy or Ram pick up. You can knock them but you can't say that they don't have something there that works for a ton of people. The CB 1100 is like a totally rebuilt vintage Volvo or maybe a BMW 2002. Neat vehicle but it's not going to sell to the guys that like Muscle Cars. Maybe that's what a Harley is a bike equivalent to a Chevelle Supersport. People love those old Chevy V8's even when they know there are more modern power plants for sure.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Guys you can't dispute the market place. If you think Harley has some how figured a way to "put it over" on the cycle buying public please let's discuss what it is that "they" seem to know that few others do.

I am not convinced that the Harley Life style keeps the business a float and doing well. People just will not spend money for image alone. The bikes have to in the end carry the weight or the company would sink slowly into the sunset.

I think Harley makes an excellent bike. Personally I feel their engines are not up to modern standards. I am admittedly the odd man out and likely you other guys are as well. I am the only one I know who rides his Harleys with stock pipes. I believe the things that I don't appreciate about Harley are the thinks that many find most appealing.

Regardless it's nice have plenty to pick from. I tend to like and appreciate odd vehicles. I've owned Peugeots and SAAB's for proof of that statement. Harley's might be like a Chevy or Ram pick up. You can knock them but you can't say that they don't have something there that works for a ton of people. The CB 1100 is like a totally rebuilt vintage Volvo or maybe a BMW 2002. Neat vehicle but it's not going to sell to the guys that like Muscle Cars. Maybe that's what a Harley is a bike equivalent to a Chevelle Supersport. People love those old Chevy V8's even when they know there are more modern power plants for sure.
I fear chiming in here for my posts get deleted...

BUT

I would have to say many do buy HD just for the image alone. Also, look at their clothing line and how much that is sold for "IMAGE"...

Plus look at some of the MC's out there, many say you must have an "American Made" bike to belong.

That is all I am going to say. Guth if you must delete this post please just let me know you did so when you do it. :)
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Guys you can't dispute the market place. If you think Harley has some how figured a way to "put it over" on the cycle buying public please let's discuss what it is that "they" seem to know that few others do.

I am not convinced that the Harley Life style keeps the business a float and doing well. People just will not spend money for image alone. The bikes have to in the end carry the weight or the company would sink slowly into the sunset.

I think Harley makes an excellent bike. Personally I feel their engines are not up to modern standards. I am admittedly the odd man out and likely you other guys are as well. I am the only one I know who rides his Harleys with stock pipes. I believe the things that I don't appreciate about Harley are the thinks that many find most appealing.

Regardless it's nice have plenty to pick from. I tend to like and appreciate odd vehicles. I've owned Peugeots and SAAB's for proof of that statement. Harley's might be like a Chevy or Ram pick up. You can knock them but you can't say that they don't have something there that works for a ton of people. The CB 1100 is like a totally rebuilt vintage Volvo or maybe a BMW 2002. Neat vehicle but it's not going to sell to the guys that like Muscle Cars. Maybe that's what a Harley is a bike equivalent to a Chevelle Supersport. People love those old Chevy V8's even when they know there are more modern power plants for sure.
I fear chiming in here for my posts get deleted...

BUT

I would have to say many do buy HD just for the image alone. Also, look at their clothing line and how much that is sold for "IMAGE"...

Plus look at some of the MC's out there, many say you must have an "American Made" bike to belong.

That is all I am going to say. Guth if you must delete this post please just let me know you did so when you do it. :)
 
My point (which can be debated) is would people buy a motorcycle which sells two to one against every other brand combined and pay more for it based on image only? I think not. I am not saying image isn't a factor.

Did you buy your Honda CB 1100 with out SOME consideration for image?

I think my CB 1100 enhances my image as a smart, good looking older gentleman who is young at heart and fun loving.

Harley image might be different. It's not exclusive to Harley. If you think we Honda riders are above it all (image) I'll debate that with you)
 
Man, I hate to chime in here, but Im a sucker for a good discussion so here we go.. Bear in mind my father rode Indians until 53 then rode Harleys until a few years before his death when he switched to small Hondas and Yamahas. I have owned 7 Harleys, the most recent of which was a 1994, but I recently went on a trip with a friend on his 2005 ish 1200 Sportster and we traded bikes for awhile so I could get a feel for a later model harley, cause everyone always says " have you ridden a modern one?"

I think Harleys today are MUCH better than they used to be..Much better. That being said, I think Bubbler underestimates the lifestyle draw, and how many Americans are drawn to Harley ( and now Indian, and in a way Victory) just because they are " American made". I believe the vast majority of Harley's are sold on this fact, and on the fact that when you buy one you are automatically absorbed into the life style. I believe " most" motorcycles, and most Harley's in particular, are ridden very little each year. I believe most Harley's are ridden mainly to rallies and poker runs and yes.... bars. That is not to say some very dedicated motorcyclists are not long distance enthusiasts who tour and ride many miles each year on Harley Davidson's. I see them when I am out touring and they are out in some desolate places, far from home, but never far from a Harley Dealership, (which is another draw for that brand..a very large dealer network). I would never say that the motor company has pulled over anything on the buying public...what Harley has done, has cleverly taken advantage of a desire among many motorcycle enthusiasts who want a motorcycle that looks and sounds a certain way,(which is the reason metric cruisers are so popular and the biggest sellers for Japan in this country) and relies on patriotism as a tool for sales. Their goal is to move American buyers of metric cruisers to Harleys eventually. Smart business model..and it's working. But to keep them on Harleys, the product has to be decent, and today it is. Maybe not the equivalent of a comparable Japanese machine, but close enough for most individuals.

Americans like to think of themselves as individuals, loners, bad asses and Harley has absolutely played to that image. I find it amusing that the new Indian Ads try to out Harley Harley, intimating to really be an individual you cant ride a Harley like everyone else, you must ride an Indian and be one of a kind. Yet their ads show bearded, dark sun glass wearing grimacing riders, wearing 1/2 helmets, fingerless gloves, engineer boots, black Leather jackets, ie: Harleys target audience. That may be brilliant. Still there is a lot of peer pressure in the Harley fold to stay with Harley. It will be interesting to watch.

This summer after I rode my buddy's 1200 and he rode my CB, we switched back and he made the comment that the only thing the 2 bikes had in common is that they were both motorcycles, that other than ergos, the CB was superior in every way. BTW he is not your typical HD rider, he owns no HD branded gear, and wears a full face helmet and a Hi-Viz jacket, so I believe he felt free to comment freely rather than toe the motor Co line. I am always free to speak my mind so I will publicly agree that his 1200 set up with mid mount pegs had better ergos than my CB. My front brakes were much better, his rear brakes were much better, my engine and handling was much better. Both bikes performed flawlessly on our 2000 mile trip.

Harley makes a good bike, Honda makes a good bike. Each individual is free to choose the brand that suits him ( or her).
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
My point (which can be debated) is would people buy a motorcycle which sells two to one against every other brand combined and pay more for it based on image only? I think not. I am not saying image isn't a factor.

Did you buy your Honda CB 1100 with out SOME consideration for image?

I think my CB 1100 enhances my image as a smart, good looking older gentleman who is young at heart and fun loving.

Harley image might be different. It's not exclusive to Harley. If you think we Honda riders are above it all (image) I'll debate that with you)
I can't relate with this description, for me none of the above would apply. I did not buy this motorcycle for the image, I bought it because there was a spark in my eye the first time I saw her.

I have never owned a Harley mainly because I want to avoid the status quo. I absolutely love the sound of a harley engine but not enough to buy one. This does not mean I will never buy one, but if I do I am riding it with a full face helmet and a one piece leather suit.

Ferret, thank you for the insight.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
My point (which can be debated) is would people buy a motorcycle which sells two to one against every other brand combined and pay more for it based on image only? I think not. I am not saying image isn't a factor.

Did you buy your Honda CB 1100 with out SOME consideration for image?

I think my CB 1100 enhances my image as a smart, good looking older gentleman who is young at heart and fun loving.

Harley image might be different. It's not exclusive to Harley. If you think we Honda riders are above it all (image) I'll debate that with you)
Bubbler, that's the way I've always thought of you. :worship:
 
I don't want to ignite a Harley- bashing thread, and am supportive of all my two-wheeled brothers. But here is my one observation, broad brush. Many Harley owners, not all, are not motorcycle enthusiasts per se. They are Harley owners. Hundreds of thousands of Harleys are sold to people who wouldn't know anything about any other motorcycle. There is virtually no cross- over to other bike brands, very little interest in motorcycle sport/ racing or history, and little consideration for performance or spirited riding. They don't really like motorbikes. They like Harleys. It is most definitely a lifestyle brand.

My admittedly biased generalization doesn't apply to long- time Harley enthusiasts who are committed mototcyclists, those who incorporate a Harley into their fleet, or XR1200 owners. Or anyone on this board!
 
Capo_imp said:
I don't want to ignite a Harley- bashing thread, and am supportive of all my two-wheeled brothers. But here is my one observation, broad brush. Many Harley owners, not all, are not motorcycle enthusiasts per se. They are Harley owners. Hundreds of thousands of Harleys are sold to people who wouldn't know anything about any other motorcycle. There is virtually no cross- over to other bike brands, very little interest in motorcycle sport/ racing or history, and little consideration for performance or spirited riding. They don't really like motorbikes. They like Harleys. It is most definitely a lifestyle brand.

My admittedly biased generalization doesn't apply to long- time Harley enthusiasts who are committed mototcyclists, those who incorporate a Harley into their fleet, or XR1200 owners. Or anyone on this board!
This reminds me of a guy in my softball team who bought a brand new Harley this past summer. He purchased it right after completing the MSF class. This was the first motorcycle he ever owned. :s my prayers went out to him.
 
cbfan_imp said:
Harley wins.................here we are on a Honda forum and there's 8 pages of Harley conversation.
The O.P. started it. :dodgy:
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Guys you can't dispute the market place. If you think Harley has some how figured a way to "put it over" on the cycle buying public please let's discuss what it is that "they" seem to know that few others do.

I am not convinced that the Harley Life style keeps the business a float and doing well. People just will not spend money for image alone. The bikes have to in the end carry the weight or the company would sink slowly into the sunset.

I think Harley makes an excellent bike. Personally I feel their engines are not up to modern standards. I am admittedly the odd man out and likely you other guys are as well. I am the only one I know who rides his Harleys with stock pipes. I believe the things that I don't appreciate about Harley are the thinks that many find most appealing.

Regardless it's nice have plenty to pick from. I tend to like and appreciate odd vehicles. I've owned Peugeots and SAAB's for proof of that statement. Harley's might be like a Chevy or Ram pick up. You can knock them but you can't say that they don't have something there that works for a ton of people. The CB 1100 is like a totally rebuilt vintage Volvo or maybe a BMW 2002. Neat vehicle but it's not going to sell to the guys that like Muscle Cars. Maybe that's what a Harley is a bike equivalent to a Chevelle Supersport. People love those old Chevy V8's even when they know there are more modern power plants for sure.
Very well put bublerboy 64,

I am very content with my 2005 Road King but even with a lot of modifications and accessories it doesn’t look or act very different from the other quarter million or more Road Kings on the street. I like your analogy of comparing the CB1100 with a Peugeot or a SAAB, it makes it more special. I consider my CB1100 and 2010Vmax “special” because they are not just another cookie bike. It’s really nice to ride something different.

But I think of the CB1100 more like a restomod rather than a restored CB750 or CB1100F. It has been decades since I have been on a CB750, but in my memory it was not nearly as nice as todays CB1100. Honda did a great job of making it look the part of a classic, but fortunately I think it rides more like a modern bike.

I like to think I buy a bike because “I” like it, not for what other people think. But I suppose if I do project an image it would be someone that wants to be a little different.
 
As long as people are buying bikes and maybe even riding them, we'll have bikes to choose from and buy and ride. Buying supports the industry.

It would be nice if more folks rode; more bikes on the road makes it easier for us to be seen.

I bought a Moto Guzzi for many reasons, not the least was because it was unique with very few on the road. I'm finding it a bit ironic that I just bought a Honda CB that appears to be just as unique and with few on the road. A Honda! Who knew?!
 
Back
Top