CB1100 or Harley?

I rent a super glide once or twice a year when I'm in NC. It is a feel good bike, lows seat forward controls, There's nothing negative about the bike its always a great day when i rent . Its all about what makes you feel good. I wish you could rent metric's for a day and get a good comparison.
 
The only comment I have is that I am from Ohio, but right now I am sitting in a hotel in Harrison Arkansas. They have some serious riding roads around here. Seriously!
 
Gentlemen,

I love my CB1100. I also love my H-D Road King which is my 7th brand new Harley. Let me give you a few "facts" from someone who has put a lot of miles on both marks.

My Road King weighs 150+ pounds more than my CB1100 and both in town and on the highway the fuel injected HD gets better fuel mileage.

My 10 year old Road King has never required a single repair. Neither did my last two Harleys.

At freeway speeds the Road King vibrates less than the CB1100. The HD can and does cruise comfortably at 85 mph. The CB1100 is not comfortable crusing above 80 IMO.

The paint, fit, and finish on a new HD are the benchmark for every other maker. The Honda paint is great but it doesn't have the deep amazing finish of a Harley.

If the cost of a bike is the purchase price minus resale value, a $15,000 HD is less expensive to own over 5 years than a $10,000 CB1100.

I enjoy and ride bikes from many different makers and I'm not afraid to give my opinion on any of them. The Hardley-A-Davidson moniker applies to Japanese knock offs of Harley products. All motorcycles have some internationally sourced parts. But all HD bikes, engines, transmissions, frames, tanks, and all major and final assembly is in the USA.

To give my opinion on what I would buy for your stated purpose based upon my actual experience, I'd buy the Honda. It's more fun to ride on back roads and in the mountains. The Harley is far superior for long rides, touring, and high speeds. Both bikes are stone reliable. The Harley is more comfortable to spend many hours on. The Honda accelerates harder and corners better. The HD vibrates less at crusing speeds. That's my take on it.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Chip,
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the RK comments. I have often thought of buying a RK or Street Glide. I just don't do much long distance or would get one of those, probably the RK. But for my type of riding I too think the Honda would be a better choice. Just seems like it would be more fun to just hop on it and go for 30 minutes or 2 hours. That was one of the reasons I was looking at the fatboy. Have even considered a 1200 sportster just for the hit the button and go factor. Anyway, am looking forward to the 1100 ride. Am sure it won't be as good as my CL when I was a kid though! Ha!
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
Yeah, I agree! But:

Fact: Out of the box, Harleys are louder than any other motorcycle.

Fact: Consumer Reports lists them near the bottom of reliability data.

Fact: Harleys don't get the fuel mileage the Honda CB does.

Fact: It's not totally made in the U.S. either.

Fact: From my experience (I've been on both) The CB1100 has MUCH less vibration than a Harley.

But, the Harley does have a low seat though.

And, if you want an opinion from someone who has ridden both, feel free to ask. Oh yeah, you did!
I own a CB1100, Harley Electra Glide, and a BMW K1600. The hog has the most comfortable ride and the best seat. It shakes at idle but this isn't a factor at speed, gets 47 mpg and has been stone reliable. Had a Sportster 883 that got 62 mpg. All my bikes are fun to ride in their own way, and making direct comparisons are difficult. Buy what you like - get one of each! :)

~ The Bee

P.S. I use Consumer Reports for shopping for lawn mowers and such, but read the motorcycle mags & forums for advice on bikes...
I have used Consumer Reports to aid me in picking the best cars. They have never led me astray. When they start publishing real data on motorcycles, the entire industry (and the consumer) will be better off. It helps the manufacturers to build a better product. I try not to get advice from magazines and publications that accept advertising. I have seen the "Car of the Year" followed by a two-page ad. Maybe there is no bias, but how do you know? CR and other like publications can only help the industry.
 
The only two Harleys I really like are 1977-79 XLCR Café Racer, and the 2009-13 XR1200. Have you looked at either one of these? Very cool looking! Probably not practical for your requirements, not sure?
 
ARMike_imp said:
I really appreciate the input and the spirited conversation. I have always been a Honda guy and like the old school bikes like the CB, Triumphs, BSA's, Royal Enfield, etc. Probably why I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a Harley. Anyway, keep the comments coming as they are helpful. You all have me more excited about test riding.

Thanks again!!
You've received quite a bit of advice here, some informed, some certainly less than informed. I think the moment of clarity will come from the test ride.
 
Thread starter
I agree...have really enjoyed the advise and the dialog. Really glad I joined the forum and posted.
 
ARMike_imp said:
I know...crazy comparison! I just joined this thread because have been lurking and am a long time Honda rider. In my young days I rode a CL down every back road I could find. Since then I've had several Honda dirt bikes. Now am in my early 50's and looking for a bike for the street. I did have a Bonneville because I like the old school look. Have ridden about every Harley but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I also like the BMW GS as I like to ride back and mountain roads and just explore. My wife doesn't ride with me so will be 1 up. I anxiously waited for the CB and looked at it soon it came out and like it. Then I just kept looking at HD's until the past weekend and I went back to the Honda dealer again. I really like the CB so started reading all the post. I also stated checking at the windscreens as this was a concern but looks like there are options. I like naked most of the time but some wind protection would be nice at times. Am planning on taking one out this weekend for a demo ride. Not sure what I am asking for in the post unless you can give me some input on if any of you ride both and your impression of the CB versus an HD. Am looking at the softails. Like I said though only back and mountain roads and very little highway or long trips. Have lots of beautiful mountain roads here in Arkansas to ride without ever getting on the highway.

Thanks for letting me just talk on my first post. Dang I love this bike!!
Hello ARMike,

My first suggestion would be to ride both bikes back to back on the types of roads you would typically ride. You might even want to try ridding the new BMW GS because it is a great all around bike.

I have a 2005 Road King with almost 40,000 miles and consider it very reliable. I have had absolutely no problems. The Harley is very easy to work on and I do all my own maintenance. I have gone through several sets of tires and replaced the front brakes, and changed fluids as the factory recommends. The Harley is relatively low maintenance, no valve adjustments and the belt final drive requires very little maintenance compared to a chain drive. The Road King is great for a relaxing ride through back roads and a very good long distance touring bike. Cruise control, heated grips and large windshield are good for long rides and cooler weather. The Road King does shake a lot at stop lights but once moving at highway speeds it is very smooth. Average fuel consumption is about 45 MPG but it does require Premium. The fit & finish on Harley’s is very good and no other manufacturer comes close to the variety and quality of accessories.

I only have 1600 miles on my 2013 CB1100, so it’s too soon to talk about long term reliability but I expect it to be rock solid. The CB1100 is a joy to ride around town and up to a couple of hours. Afterwards the seat gets very uncomfortable for me and I plan to replace the factory seat with a Corbin next year. The transmission and clutch work flawlessly and is one the best I have experienced. At idle you almost don’t know its running but as others have mentioned has some vibration around 4K. Not objectionable if you are wearing gloves but could be an issue for some people. I have averaged about 52MPG and it only requires regular unleaded fuel.

The CB1100 is much quicker, handles way better and has superior brakes. The newer Harley Touring bikes have a stiffer frame and better tires than my 2005 but it still will not handle anything like the CB1100. While some consider the Harley slow, I find it has adequate power and more than enough for pulling away from a stoplight. In my opinion both bikes look how a motorcycle should look. The engines are works of art and pleasing to look at.

For a couple hour ride it’s hard to beat the CB1100. For an all-day or cross country ride I would take the Road King hands down.

Good Luck with your decision!
 
I've owned a Superglide and an Electraglide and have nothing bad to say about either. You would be happy with either (mid mount pegs/boards).

I usually have 3-4 bikes in the garage. Right now, only the CB1100, and that's fine with me. It will do 95% of anything I want to do, and at this point I'm not willing to pay another 10-20 K to cover the other5%. YMMV.
 
I have the CB1100 and a 2007 Harley Softail Custom. I like them both. Except for them each having 2 wheels, there's really no way to compare them. If you get one, you will miss something that the other one has...

If you can only have 1, then I'd go with the one that makes *you* feel better. This is not a rational purchase. If it's a rational purchase one's after, I'd get a Hyundai car instead. Way more low maintenance transportation value for the money :-).

The only thing I don't look forward to on the Harley is the day that the drive belt or the balancer weight systems need to be replaced (that won't be for quite a while though).
 
furious_blue_imp said:
I have the CB1100 and a 2007 Harley Softail Custom. I like them both. Except for them each having 2 wheels, there's really no way to compare them. If you get one, you will miss something that the other one has...

If you can only have 1, then I'd go with the one that makes *you* feel better. This is not a rational purchase. If it's a rational purchase one's after, I'd get a Hyundai car instead. Way more low maintenance transportation value for the money :-).

The only thing I don't look forward to on the Harley is the day that the drive belt or the balancer weight systems need to be replaced (that won't be for quite a while though).
Not any worse than pulling the cams to replace valve shims.
 
dBuster_imp said:
Hardleys aren't 100% American anymore... parts are made in Mexico and I believe some of the electronics are not from this country but are assembled here.

Personally I would never own a hardley-a-davidson. I just can put spending that amount of money to not really enjoy the ride whereas I totally enjoy the CB experience.

In addition those that own a hardley are those that are living off of the government, okay maybe not all but there are many who get government Assistance hardley owners.

Sorry but I just can't see those bikes being worthy. I can get a cb and have enough money left over to farkle and then some taking care of my family, etc without owing a left nut for a so called status symbol.

Knock me off the soap box please...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
??????? I'm not quite following this???? You say "maybe not all", so I guess possibly all or at least a substantial percentage of Harley owners are living off of the government?? But people that buy less expensive Honda's shy away from government assistance? Am I not reading this right?

Chip
 
Chip, dBuster did provide you with a response, but I've taken the liberty of deleting it. Some things are better left unsaid.
 
Living off the government and Harley's? I don't get that one. I've heard about every negative applied to Harley owners and have found none of them to be true personally but that's a new one.

Enlighten yourself and visit a Harley dealership and maybe make an effort to be open to the possibility that you are holding an extremely prejudicial view which is clearly not supported in fact.
 
Guys, let's try to stick to comments about the bikes themselves. Like many others, I don't have the patience to deal with the ignorance on display in this thread and if we can't move past that, I'll be shutting this thread down. Thanks.

(Sorry ARMIke, this is not how things typically are around here.)
 
Chip; If I may drift the topic a wee bit here. You stated you got better mileage on the HD than the CB, in town or on the road so I wonder if that may have any thing to do with the way you tend to ride each bike? I had a saleman years ago that rode a Harley and when pushed during ralley contests could do about 100mpg. Can't some close to that with the Honda as far as I know. But if you do more spirited riding on the Honda that could explain the difference. Otherwise I would thing the Honda would be more even with the HD.

As a data point, my V Twin Griso (and the Quota I used to have) are thirsty bitches with no hope of seeing decent mileage (the Griso does do better than the Quota but to hit 50 is a bloody miracle).
 
Guth_imp said:
Guys, let's try to stick to comments about the bikes themselves. Like many others, I don't have the patience to deal with the ignorance on display in this thread and if we can't move past that, I'll be shutting this thread down. Thanks.

(Sorry ARMIke, this is not how things typically are around here.)
Bravo! Hear Hear!
 
UJM Guy_imp said:
ARMike_imp said:
I know...crazy comparison! I just joined this thread because have been lurking and am a long time Honda rider. In my young days I rode a CL down every back road I could find. Since then I've had several Honda dirt bikes. Now am in my early 50's and looking for a bike for the street. I did have a Bonneville because I like the old school look. Have ridden about every Harley but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I also like the BMW GS as I like to ride back and mountain roads and just explore. My wife doesn't ride with me so will be 1 up. I anxiously waited for the CB and looked at it soon it came out and like it. Then I just kept looking at HD's until the past weekend and I went back to the Honda dealer again. I really like the CB so started reading all the post. I also stated checking at the windscreens as this was a concern but looks like there are options. I like naked most of the time but some wind protection would be nice at times. Am planning on taking one out this weekend for a demo ride. Not sure what I am asking for in the post unless you can give me some input on if any of you ride both and your impression of the CB versus an HD. Am looking at the softails. Like I said though only back and mountain roads and very little highway or long trips. Have lots of beautiful mountain roads here in Arkansas to ride without ever getting on the highway.

Thanks for letting me just talk on my first post. Dang I love this bike!!
Hello ARMike,

My first suggestion would be to ride both bikes back to back on the types of roads you would typically ride. You might even want to try ridding the new BMW GS because it is a great all around bike.

I have a 2005 Road King with almost 40,000 miles and consider it very reliable. I have had absolutely no problems. The Harley is very easy to work on and I do all my own maintenance. I have gone through several sets of tires and replaced the front brakes, and changed fluids as the factory recommends. The Harley is relatively low maintenance, no valve adjustments and the belt final drive requires very little maintenance compared to a chain drive. The Road King is great for a relaxing ride through back roads and a very good long distance touring bike. Cruise control, heated grips and large windshield are good for long rides and cooler weather. The Road King does shake a lot at stop lights but once moving at highway speeds it is very smooth. Average fuel consumption is about 45 MPG but it does require Premium. The fit & finish on Harley’s is very good and no other manufacturer comes close to the variety and quality of accessories.

I only have 1600 miles on my 2013 CB1100, so it’s too soon to talk about long term reliability but I expect it to be rock solid. The CB1100 is a joy to ride around town and up to a couple of hours. Afterwards the seat gets very uncomfortable for me and I plan to replace the factory seat with a Corbin next year. The transmission and clutch work flawlessly and is one the best I have experienced. At idle you almost don’t know its running but as others have mentioned has some vibration around 4K. Not objectionable if you are wearing gloves but could be an issue for some people. I have averaged about 52MPG and it only requires regular unleaded fuel.

The CB1100 is much quicker, handles way better and has superior brakes. The newer Harley Touring bikes have a stiffer frame and better tires than my 2005 but it still will not handle anything like the CB1100. While some consider the Harley slow, I find it has adequate power and more than enough for pulling away from a stoplight. In my opinion both bikes look how a motorcycle should look. The engines are works of art and pleasing to look at.

For a couple hour ride it’s hard to beat the CB1100. For an all-day or cross country ride I would take the Road King hands down.

Good Luck with your decision!
your info is valuable, I always like HD just because it is an old schooled bike, all steel no plastic. American love hamburger right? My riding style is gentle, so when green start, HD leave me in the dust ... big torque, high gear has its appeal.
gcarper_imp said:
ARMike_imp said:
I really appreciate the input and the spirited conversation. I have always been a Honda guy and like the old school bikes like the CB, Triumphs, BSA's, Royal Enfield, etc. Probably why I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a Harley. Anyway, keep the comments coming as they are helpful. You all have me more excited about test riding.

Thanks again!!
I just recently sold my Harley XR1200. I seen one and it took me back to the early 60s when a friend bought a Sportster and let me ride it. WOW, but---have had Brit bikes and a ton of Hondas since. When I seen the XR on ebay and it was close by I went over and rode it and bought it. That big thumping engine!!! 6 months later and Honda brings the CB to America. Went to Shelby NC Honda and test rode one . Went back home, put the Harley and my Vstrom on Ebay! Now I have the CB and enjoy it more every day, it is one sweet machine. One of the best bikes I've owned in 58 years of riding.
the CB1100 saves my motorcycling. I go to the dealer to sell my Suzuki where I buy it in 2009 new with 1000 miles on it. It should conclude my on/off passion for motorcycle, I walk out the dealer and see the CB in front of the store. What a beauty, after negotiating hard, I take her home a couple days later. It happens all suddenly, no planning ... Since then, my passion come back, I ride the bike every day with many long trips in the mountains and back-roads

Being Asian at 5'7, 160 lbs, I love things that fit me proportional. The CB fits me well psychologically, not too tall, not too big compared to other bikes in same displacement.

If it can cook, I will marry it
 
Rboe_imp said:
Chip; If I may drift the topic a wee bit here. You stated you got better mileage on the HD than the CB, in town or on the road so I wonder if that may have any thing to do with the way you tend to ride each bike? I had a saleman years ago that rode a Harley and when pushed during ralley contests could do about 100mpg. Can't some close to that with the Honda as far as I know. But if you do more spirited riding on the Honda that could explain the difference. Otherwise I would thing the Honda would be more even with the HD.

As a data point, my V Twin Griso (and the Quota I used to have) are thirsty bitches with no hope of seeing decent mileage (the Griso does do better than the Quota but to hit 50 is a bloody miracle).
Rboe,

My Road King is an older 1340 Evolution with fuel injection. At 65 mph it gets 50 mpg. My CB gets about 45 mpg. In town the HD also gets about 5 more mpg. The newer HD's have bigger engines and probably get poorer mileage but I'm not sure. The CB is geared fairly low and with no 6th gear it's pretty buzzy at high speeds. The rubber engine mounts on the HD make it very smooth at speed. My HD is a 5 speed too however. The newer ones are 6 speeds. Not a huge difference in mileage and I ride the bikes about the same. I'm pretty mellow.

Chip
 
Back
Top