CB1100 or Harley?

ARMike_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I know...crazy comparison! I just joined this thread because have been lurking and am a long time Honda rider. In my young days I rode a CL down every back road I could find. Since then I've had several Honda dirt bikes. Now am in my early 50's and looking for a bike for the street. I did have a Bonneville because I like the old school look. Have ridden about every Harley but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I also like the BMW GS as I like to ride back and mountain roads and just explore. My wife doesn't ride with me so will be 1 up. I anxiously waited for the CB and looked at it soon it came out and like it. Then I just kept looking at HD's until the past weekend and I went back to the Honda dealer again. I really like the CB so started reading all the post. I also stated checking at the windscreens as this was a concern but looks like there are options. I like naked most of the time but some wind protection would be nice at times. Am planning on taking one out this weekend for a demo ride. Not sure what I am asking for in the post unless you can give me some input on if any of you ride both and your impression of the CB versus an HD. Am looking at the softails. Like I said though only back and mountain roads and very little highway or long trips. Have lots of beautiful mountain roads here in Arkansas to ride without ever getting on the highway.

Thanks for letting me just talk on my first post. Dang I love this bike!!
 
I'm a long time Honda fan and not ridden for many years due to children and work etc. Owned several Hondas and some Yamaha and Suzuki trail bikes early on. Had a highly modified Suzuki bandit given to me a couple years back and rode it till 3 weeks ago . Back to your comparison I had chance to break in a Road King for one of my brother in laws and enjoyed it . But just never felt like it would do me the way I ride I am also in Arkansas and like you do shorter rides and not a lot of freeway. Other brother in law bought a new V rod liked this more than Road King performance and handling much more to my liking, ride it about 200 miles and some short trips . Still something missing . Then came the Bandit oh my. Highly modified in previous life for drag racing but converted back to street. Noticed as I gotten older this thing was probably gonna get me in trouble . Had heard about 1100 couple years ago never thought they would get it to Us. Bought mine 3 weeks ago , all I can tell you is its my old 750 super sport on steroids. Go ride one if you like the looks wait till you ride it . This will be my last bike .
 
Thread starter
Tommy's 11...thanks for the reply. Agree, every time I ride a Harley it just doesn't do anything for me, like I gotta have this! I was looking forward to the new Indian (again old school) and rode it at Bikes Blues & Barbecue and again did nothing for me. Will post again after me demo ride.

Thanks again!
 
Not as strange of a comparison as you think. I was deadset on getting a Fatboy, until I came across the CB. For me it was:

CB Over Fatboy
* Cheaper
* Better Handling
* Better Suspension
* Better Brakes

Fatboy Over CB
* Feels badass
* Really low seat
* Resale
* That sound
* Supporting a US company

I went with the CB as I went more for what I think than the masses think. Very happy as I like this bike more and more every day. Getting a more aggressive exhaust made me feel less of a Nanny on it.
 
Thread starter
Yeah...I love the history of a harley and like supporting American also. But don't care about the badass thing, don't like the low seat, resale is a good point but less these days, sound is cool. Just want something to hop on and ride and not spend all my time polishing.
 
Armike... I have a Superglide that's set up like a Roadking with the windscreen, saddlebags, and crash bars/footpegs... as well as the CB. I've owned the HD since '04 and the CB since June. For around town, riding in the mountains, and just general local riding, you can't beat the CB. I have the Harley set up for long day and overnight trips. With the belt drive and the overall weight of the bike, I think it's better suited for that kind of riding. I don't keep the bikes in the same place, so I can't tell you which one I'd choose in the garage on a given day. For what you're talking about, I'd save the money and buy the Honda... It's a great ride!
 
Mike, best of luck with your decision and welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading about your test ride on the CB1100.
 
Hardleys aren't 100% American anymore... parts are made in Mexico and I believe some of the electronics are not from this country but are assembled here.

Personally I would never own a hardley-a-davidson. I just can put spending that amount of money to not really enjoy the ride whereas I totally enjoy the CB experience.

In addition those that own a hardley are those that are living off of the government, okay maybe not all but there are many who get government Assistance hardley owners.

Sorry but I just can't see those bikes being worthy. I can get a cb and have enough money left over to farkle and then some taking care of my family, etc without owing a left nut for a so called status symbol.

Knock me off the soap box please...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
 
If I were faced with such a decision I would get the bike that I wanted and ignore any self righteous lecturing from some know-nothing know-it-all on some forum.
 
ARMike_imp said:
I know...crazy comparison! I just joined this thread because have been lurking and am a long time Honda rider. In my young days I rode a CL down every back road I could find. Since then I've had several Honda dirt bikes. Now am in my early 50's and looking for a bike for the street. I did have a Bonneville because I like the old school look. Have ridden about every Harley but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I also like the BMW GS as I like to ride back and mountain roads and just explore. My wife doesn't ride with me so will be 1 up. I anxiously waited for the CB and looked at it soon it came out and like it. Then I just kept looking at HD's until the past weekend and I went back to the Honda dealer again. I really like the CB so started reading all the post. I also stated checking at the windscreens as this was a concern but looks like there are options. I like naked most of the time but some wind protection would be nice at times. Am planning on taking one out this weekend for a demo ride. Not sure what I am asking for in the post unless you can give me some input on if any of you ride both and your impression of the CB versus an HD. Am looking at the softails. Like I said though only back and mountain roads and very little highway or long trips. Have lots of beautiful mountain roads here in Arkansas to ride without ever getting on the highway.

Thanks for letting me just talk on my first post. Dang I love this bike!!
Having spent a year working in at the HD Dealership here in S FL, I've ridden every model HD makes; some of them extensively.

If you're going to get an HD, stay away from the Softails. HD scrapped the rear suspension to get the "hardtail" look, and Softails handle like crap and pound your back as a result. If you want to make the most of those mountain roads on an HD, get a touring frame bike (FL) or a Dyna series (FX).

Of course the RIGHT answer is get the CB. It has all the heritage, history, and style of any HD, but adds outstanding handling, braking, and performance. The CB will kick any stock HD to the curb (possibly barring the V-Rods, which aren't "real" HDs anyway). There's plenty of accessories for it now, including windscreens and luggage.

Of course, every new HD includes a social life if you want it. As soon as you buy an HD there's a thousand events available to you.
 
Personally, I have never understood the Harley "mystique." They're heavy, under-powered, overpriced, low-tech and the owners all dress alike.
For the type of riding you're planning on doing the CB would be a better choice, IMO. After you ride one you'll see. :thumbsup:
 
I own a couple Harley's today and have owned several in the past. Never had a problem with any service related issues however I'll admit I put very low mileage on my bikes.

Look guys Harley sells tons of motorcycles so obviously they are doing something right.

I can't see comparing a Harley to a CB it's like to me comparing a Chevy Tahoe to a Honda Accord. You could do it but what's the point?

The CB 1100 really isn't directly comparable to any other bike but the Triumph Bonnieville might be the best candidate. Harley? Maybe a sportster just be cause of the similarity in size only.

Every one seems to have an ax to grind with one brand of machine due to bad experiences. For me BMW is the one. Only based on cost of parts and repairs. Not worth it to me I'll take a Harley any time over a BMW. Just me.

ACTUALLY I LIKE THE TRIUMPH BIKES.

I am lucky enough to be able to have some of each.
I might also respond a little more about the Harley Bikes.

Heavy- Relative to what? Certainly not heavier then any other bike in their class. I find them easier to manage mainly due to the lower seat height.
Under power? Yes when compared to other's in their displacement but they have plenty of power for any one other then the fool hardy.

Low Tech. Yep and that's what the "typical" owner wants. That old school loping engine sound. With antilock brakes and fuel injection? Not all that low tech today.
Owners Dressed the same. There is that and the Tattoos but not everyone buys into that, I certainly don't. Can't fault the bikes for the way the owners look.

To me the only real issue is the Harley Engine. Not as smooth as I think they should be BUT I am convinced that engine and it's sound especially with the custom pipes (I am one of the very few who rides my Harley's with the stock pipes) is what sells them. They are absolutely beautiful looking bikes in the show room.

Set a Harley Street Glide next to a Honda Goldwing. We know the Honda out techs the Harley but the Harley seems to have that "something" which just shouts out buy me in spite of my short comings and greater cost. Is the Goldwing a better bike? Absolutely by the numbers but lots and lots see the Harley as more of what a motorcycle should be.

I think sex sells and lets face it folks find Harley's sexy (and while it's hard for many of us to understand myself included) the owners as well. Long hair and tattoo's? Not for me but live and let live.

Be happy for the other guy and what he chooses to do with his money and spare time.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I own a couple Harley's today and have owned several in the past. Never had a problem with any service related issues however I'll admit I put very low mileage on my bikes.

Look guys Harley sells tons of motorcycles so obviously they are doing something right.

I can't see comparing a Harley to a CB it's like to me comparing a Chevy Tahoe to a Honda Accord. You could do it but what's the point?

The CB 1100 really isn't directly comparable to any other bike but the Triumph Bonnieville might be the best candidate. Harley? Maybe a sportster just be cause of the similarity in size only.

Every one seems to have an ax to grind with one brand of machine due to bad experiences. For me BMW is the one. Only based on cost of parts and repairs. Not worth it to me I'll take a Harley any time over a BMW. Just me.

ACTUALLY I LIKE THE TRIUMPH BIKES.

I am lucky enough to be able to have some of each.
I might also respond a little more about the Harley Bikes.

Heavy- Relative to what? Certainly not heavier then any other bike in their class. I find them easier to manage mainly due to the lower seat height.
Under power? Yes when compared to other's in their displacement but they have plenty of power for any one other then the fool hardy.

Low Tech. Yep and that's what the "typical" owner wants. That old school loping engine sound. With antilock brakes and fuel injection? Not all that low tech today.
Owners Dressed the same. There is that and the Tattoos but not everyone buys into that, I certainly don't. Can't fault the bikes for the way the owners look.

To me the only real issue is the Harley Engine. Not as smooth as I think they should be BUT I am convinced that engine and it's sound especially with the custom pipes (I am one of the very few who rides my Harley's with the stock pipes) is what sells them. They are absolutely beautiful looking bikes in the show room.

Set a Harley Street Glide next to a Honda Goldwing. We know the Honda out techs the Harley but the Harley seems to have that "something" which just shouts out buy me in spite of my short comings and greater cost. Is the Goldwing a better bike? Absolutely by the numbers but lots and lots see the Harley as more of what a motorcycle should be.

I think sex sells and lets face it folks find Harley's sexy (and while it's hard for many of us to understand myself included) the owners as well. Long hair and tattoo's? Not for me but live and let live.

Be happy for the other guy and what he chooses to do with his money and spare time.
Absolutely. Comparing the CB to an HD is apples and kumquats. FWIW, I was a BMW guy too and they're not what they used to be. BTW, BMW was below HD in Consumer Reports reliability data.
 
ARMike--

When you go to bed at night, which bike are you still thinking of when you're just about to nod off to sleep?

That's the one you really want.
 
Yeah, I agree! But:

Fact: Out of the box, Harleys are louder than any other motorcycle.

Fact: Consumer Reports lists them near the bottom of reliability data.

Fact: Harleys don't get the fuel mileage the Honda CB does.

Fact: It's not totally made in the U.S. either.

Fact: From my experience (I've been on both) The CB1100 has MUCH less vibration than a Harley.

But, the Harley does have a low seat though.

And, if you want an opinion from someone who has ridden both, feel free to ask. Oh yeah, you did!
I own a CB1100, Harley Electra Glide, and a BMW K1600. The hog has the most comfortable ride and the best seat. It shakes at idle but this isn't a factor at speed, gets 47 mpg and has been stone reliable. Had a Sportster 883 that got 62 mpg. All my bikes are fun to ride in their own way, and making direct comparisons are difficult. Buy what you like - get one of each! :)

~ The Bee

P.S. I use Consumer Reports for shopping for lawn mowers and such, but read the motorcycle mags & forums for advice on bikes...
 
I think Consumers Report is a good guide but I don't allow it to influence my decisions concerning things that I have some passion for. Motorcycles and cars come to mind.

Frankly while I've had some "bad" cars back in the seventies and eighties the cars and trucks I've owned in the last 15 years or so have all been basically pullet proof. I don't run cars beyond about 60 thousand miles or so but in my early buying days I had lots of trouble with cars in the first year or so of ownership. So right out of the showroom. Much improved today.

Bikes the same. Nothing to complain about with Honda, Harley or Triumph. Never owned a new BMW so I can't comment there. My used low mileage BMW's cost me some money, more then I think justified.

I like the older BMW's but I've decided not to buy anything with Carbs. Fuel injection just works so much better. Especially with the lousy gas we have to use today.
 
I would like to try riding a Harley some time, at least once, to see what it's all about.. I will probably rent one some time for the heck of it.
But for me it was a no-brainer to go with this Honda. The bike will certainly last as long as I want it to and there will be lots of good times to be had, and it's such a smooth ride. There's a tiny bit of vibration above 4k RPM but once you get used to it you don't even really notice it anymore.

I was talking with a Harley rider about my bike not too long ago and he seemed pretty impressed about the fuel range and efficiency I was getting. He said he had a larger tank but certainly couldn't get as many miles per tank as I said I was doing.. and honestly our fuel range doesn't evem come close to some of the other bikes out there.
 
Thread starter
I really appreciate the input and the spirited conversation. I have always been a Honda guy and like the old school bikes like the CB, Triumphs, BSA's, Royal Enfield, etc. Probably why I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a Harley. Anyway, keep the comments coming as they are helpful. You all have me more excited about test riding.

Thanks again!!
 
Ideally you would have one of each. If you can't; I think randomly choosing one would be about as accurate as asking us. As pointed out earlier, some Harley models would be a better choice than others so if you take that advise I don't think you could really go wrong with either bike. I think they scratch totally different itches so once buy one I think you'll still be wanting the other. What to do!?

The manufactures are making a ton of good bikes today so it can make the buying decision rather tough; which one should you get? Unless the bike does not fit you or is just a poor fit for your riding style (CB's and Harleys make for poor dirt bikes and CRF250's are not ideal to tour on) it is really hard to go wrong with your choice. Shoot; from the reading here, as long as you pick the right colour you are golden!
 
ARMike_imp said:
I really appreciate the input and the spirited conversation. I have always been a Honda guy and like the old school bikes like the CB, Triumphs, BSA's, Royal Enfield, etc. Probably why I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a Harley. Anyway, keep the comments coming as they are helpful. You all have me more excited about test riding.

Thanks again!!
I just recently sold my Harley XR1200. I seen one and it took me back to the early 60s when a friend bought a Sportster and let me ride it. WOW, but---have had Brit bikes and a ton of Hondas since. When I seen the XR on ebay and it was close by I went over and rode it and bought it. That big thumping engine!!! 6 months later and Honda brings the CB to America. Went to Shelby NC Honda and test rode one . Went back home, put the Harley and my Vstrom on Ebay! Now I have the CB and enjoy it more every day, it is one sweet machine. One of the best bikes I've owned in 58 years of riding.
 
Back
Top