CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunchbag said:
I was wondering about the green glow on the shoes.

Probably because this was the source photo. It's the reflection of the yellow strobes on the bike.


Pdedse, I just checked my watch collection. I have a green one, but not a yellow one. Funny thing is, the yellow watch looks like a Casio G-Shock. I’ve one one since high school.
 

Attachments

  • 16060734-67b0-492b-a16a-00a0740cd997.webp
    16060734-67b0-492b-a16a-00a0740cd997.webp
    67.3 KB · Views: 99
Got this pic today (not AI, the old-fashioned way, rode to the next town n/e of home and used my iphone lol)

743UMiz.jpg
 
I've not been on the bike for more than a month. The reason? Well, as I wrote to my grandaughter in a faraway land, "One of the dubious pleasures of growing up in Australia is there's lots of sun. In my youth we didn't worry too much about getting sunburned. As a result many of us have damage to our skin which has to be treated — mostly by being cut out." Her response, which defied my attempt at irony, was, "I dont see how that's a pleasure but ok".

Anyway, the offending bit of skin damage was on the top of my left ear and required a skin graft to make sure I don't frighten dogs and small children with a mangled ear. It also required the strange experience of having a dressing sewn over the wound. Hauling a helmet over it was out of the question. So, no bike for Cormanus.

The healing is now well advanced. I can't see any sign of the thing in the mirror, although that may say more about my eyesight than anything else. I thought I'd try to see whether hauling on a helmet caused any great discomfort. It didn't. I was also a lovely day so I thought I could both refresh my motorcycling muscle memory and snap a picture for the August challenge.

Brisbane's not as well endowed with murals as some of the US cities seem to be, but I found one about 5.5 kms away which happily continues the bird theme.




Years ago the Brisbane City Council decided to brighten the city a little by commissioning artists to paint the dreary gray traffic signal control boxes. I remembered this as I rode to the mural and set about finding one that I could get a picture of with the bike without having to park on the road (they're always right on the junction) or get myself run over trying to get a picture. Found a couple.


 
To verify whether Gon'sl pics are real or fake, there has to be blood on his hands, dripping blood; that’s how you know it’s the real thing, not the work of AI...just saying  :P
 
Cormanus said:
Brisbane's not as well endowed with murals as some of the US cities seem to be, but I found one about 5.5 kms away which happily continues the bird theme.

...


Looks like the kookaburra wants to sit on your bike (I have no idea...but internet photos of kookaburras are similar  :cool: )!  Glad you're able to get the helmet on OK and ride again.  I just had a doc look at a suspicious spot on my arm, but he had it under a magnifying glass and saw it was actually discoloration due to a minute scratch--prolly from picking blackberries on the edge of trees behind our house.  But it sure looked strange and also similar to internet photos of melanoma...worth checking on.
 
Cormanus, welcome to the club of sun-damaged old men. I recently had a suspicious nodule on my lower eyelid removed. It turned out to be a basal cell, so good riddance. I am fortunate to live in a place that has world-class ophthalmologists and dermatologists, so the repair is fully functional and nearly invisible.
 
Nice pics, Cormanus! Sorry to hear that you had to get some sun damage repair. That's a bummer when it's on your head and keeps you from riding. I've had things lasered off of my arms and back so far, and Mrs. G says I should wear sunscreen more often. Very cool to see that you guys paint your traffic control boxes. We have several painted ones as well. Hey, that can be the next photo challenge!
 
Nachodaddy said:
Cormanus, welcome to the club of sun-damaged old men. I recently had a suspicious nodule on my lower eyelid removed. It turned out to be a basal cell, so good riddance. I am fortunate to live in a place that has world-class ophthalmologists and dermatologists, so the repair is fully functional and nearly invisible.

World class dermatologists in the Phoenix area!  I guess they know something due to plenty of practice.
 
[quote="Nachodaddy" pid='275940' dateline='1787326607']
Cormanus, welcome to the club of sun-damaged old men. I recently had a suspicious nodule on my lower eyelid removed. It turned out to be a basal cell, so good riddance. I am fortunate to live in a place that has world-class ophthalmologists and dermatologists, so the repair is fully functional and nearly invisible.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Nachodaddy. Good to hear your eye surgery went well; that would have made me very nervous. Sadly, I've been a member of the club for a goodly number of years now. The ear was the latest in a line of BCCs stretching back over more than a decade. There've been a couple of melanomas in there as well that I was pleased to have caught. An annual going over by the dermatologist is now part of the annual service schedule.
 
Cormanus said:
pdedse gets to choose September's challenge.

Oops, my bad...didn't I realize I was first to post.

For September: your cb1100 in front of any sports "place".  Could be the baseball diamond you played at when you were a kid, in front of your city's NFL team, local basketball hoop court you still play at (or don't), in front of the Melborne Cricket Ground, your local sports bar.  Pickle-ball place?  Is there a curling rink near you?  Ski resort?  Extra credit points if there's a short story attached as to why you chose the place you did, or even just a bit about the place.
 
It’s a sad day for me and my wife suggested that I go for a ride. I finally consumed last of last years gasoline. Anyways, it was a nice day to get a picture for the photo challenge. I found this Little League baseball field in Town of Warwick, NY
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0925.webp
    IMG_0925.webp
    93.1 KB · Views: 33
Went to 5 different ball fields on a Sunday mid-day and nothing... are kids not playing baseball anymore? Saw some kids playing soccer at a field on my ride

bWwFMPH.jpg
 
Ferret, I love your motorcycle. Even more now that I have seen it in person. What a beauty.

Kids do not play like we did. My brothers and I were expected to be out of the house after breakfast and back at home for dinner when the lights came on. In between, we could do whatever we wanted as long as our Mother did not receive a call from the neighbors or a knock on the door from law enforcement.

My parents never talked to us about school because we just knew the price we would pay if there was anything other than an “A” on a report card. It may seem harsh to those who had a warmer upbringing, but because our parents had to deal with the Nazis, Russians, North Korea, and food shortages, they expected their sons to play sports, attend church, tinker with engines, hunt, and take care of themselves. There were always relatives who were truly in need, but we were blessed, relatively speaking.

When our schools were desegregated, my father took me aside and told me to make sure things went well because some of the boys had fathers who served side by side with my Dad, and they were good men. Our Forum Guidelines prevent me from sharing the colorful language my father used, but he essentially told me to “persuade” the first bully to be quiet and the rest of the cowards would fall in line. More than once, he had watched me fight my brothers, and knew it would be quick.

I probably shared way too much about my childhood, but that is my reaction to seeing your CB1100 with over a 100,000 miles on the clock parked in front of a beautiful empty baseball field on a sunny Sunday afternoon while kids are at home staring at screens. The world is a better place now, but we may have lost something along the way. We will see if Cormanus and pdedse allow this post to remain in the thread. David 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top