CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nachodaddy said:
Of all the cemeteries I've visited in my 85 years, and all the times I went to Tombstone, AZ, I never visited Boot Hill. I may have to go back to Tombstone one more time just to see who is buried there. I never gave a thought to where the Earps and Doc Holliday would end up. I bet if they were alive today, they'd be riding a CB1100.

I just learned recently that Virgil Earp is burried at the River View Cemetery in Portland, OR, about 35 mintures from me.  His daughter lived in Portland and requested his body be brought to her family plot. Now I want to go find the tomb.

EDIT: I'm getting so old and loony! Now I remember where I "learned" that about Virgil...because member LucienLeFranc posted pictures of the cemetery and the info on the previous page!

I was going to delete this post, but sometimes you gotta laugh at yourself! : )
 
It’s Déjà vu all over again.

My tour group at the museum yesterday was from Portland.
 
It's your pick, Gone. I looked back and EmptySea posted a non qualifying picture.
 
Oh heck, I thought he was up. Then let’s do murals as suggested in the other thread!
 
Not submitting this one as an entry - this was actually a photo used a few years ago for the CB1100 calendar. 
But, looking back, it's a bummer that this mural, at the West end of the 4th Street Bridge, has been painted over.
 

Attachments

  • de14a543-e3e8-422c-a9a9-f507989664ee.webp
    de14a543-e3e8-422c-a9a9-f507989664ee.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 53
Murals... when I saw this topic, I thought, hmmm...could be very interesting as I've seen their popularity grow over the years.  It seems they have the graffati artists' respect as most often the murals are left untouched in the Portland area.  Less graffiti, more murals is a good thing is my book.

Today is the first day that the blue of the skies can be seen as forest fire smoke has dominated of late with its grey-white haze.  But with the smoke still wafting about in the mountains, I thought it would be fun to visit murals.  Turns out that the 'net has a number of "Portland murals maps" and this one gave me some ideas: 

Murals in Portland | Street Art Map & Artists | FindMASA

It gave me a nice circular route that I followed: 
zTZjuY4.jpg


At the site, you can click on the circles and it will show the mural, the address, a few details about the artist.  I made a list of 15 different ones and typed out their addresses.  After finishing a quick errand (appropriately to pick up some spray paint), I began my route, starting off with...

gORy1CW.jpg
 
Too bad they covered up the elephant's head with the silly banner.  

It was fun to plug in the next address, then try to remember the route as I don't have a cell phone holder on the bike.  Very scavenger-hunt like.  I would also find others too good to pass up on the way to the one I was looking for:
AhqwgW9.jpg


NE Portland is known for having a lively African-American culture and many of the murals reflect that: 
leBbSRB.jpg


Prince!
Ba8hpmw.jpg


This one must have been done awhile ago, as the internet photo shows how it looked orginally
iJSJ4IE.jpg


The internet site gives the name of the artist, and you can select his/her name and then it shows you other murals done by the same artist.

Jackie Robinson
Xmg3EWN.jpg



Such amazing art work to be completed on the side of a building with weeds overgrowing the path next to the mural:
dZfvvt9.jpg


Looking from the street, in
7u8V9rG.jpg


There were 100s of murals that I passed up and it was hard to exlcude some because they were really well done.  There were some murals with strong political messages that I'll not upload to respect forum rules, but again, very well done and thought provoking.

But I couldn't leave out the Pink Panther
qMLq190.jpg


Cycling, motorcycling...both are are great two wheel travel!
POAi6DQ.jpg


I found the first 9 or 10 murals w/out issues, but then I searched for a few that had been painted over and others that I simply couldn't find.  But it was quite fun, and the route took me through areas I otherwise have no good reason to visit.  There were so many interesting food places where I could have stopped for lunch, but I was drawn on by more murals...

TluXbPR.jpg


And with the temps rising and nearly 3 hours of mural hunting, I was starting to feel a little burned out just as one does when looking at museum paintings and sculptures for too long.  Still...ride on for a few more!

Perhaps my favorite...right among many sad-looking homeless and the down-and-out lving in the streets.
mGmoUJw.jpg


And time to head home after one last one
ZgVw3M6.jpg


Portland is divided north to south by the Willamette River, which runs into the Columbia.  All these murals are found on the east side of the Willamette.  There are hundreds more on the west side, the downtown area of Portland...maybe for another day.
 
Wow, Pdedse, great job! You truly are the King of Murals!

Not the right bike, but I was at a gas stop in El Segundo, just down the road from LAX. Facing the gas pumps on the wall of a building next door is a pretty cool mural commemorating El Segundo's aviation history. It depicts Douglas and North American planes dating from WW2, to Northrup modern day planes.
 

Attachments

  • 80515321-08dd-4f8e-bbff-4b937c403860.webp
    80515321-08dd-4f8e-bbff-4b937c403860.webp
    65 KB · Views: 99
Gone in 60 said:
Wow, Pdedse, great job! You truly are the King of Murals!

Not the right bike, but I was at a gas stop in El Segundo, just down the road from LAX. Facing the gas pumps on the wall of a building next door is a pretty cool mural commemorating El Segundo's aviation history. It depicts Douglas and North American planes dating from WW2, to Northrup modern day planes.

King of...nada.  I've got one more year? in Oregon before moving on to Tucson / Costa Rica.  I'm trying to soak up as much as I can of the NW while I'm still here.  But I do think murals are interesting, giving local artists their chance to shine bright.
 
Yeah, good for artists and often for enlivening otherwise unattractive buildings.
 
[quote="Frenchie" pid='275652' dateline='1786120559']
Not from this month, this photo is from 2 years ago.
[/QUOTE]

Still a vibrant, incredible picture. I am very glad you posted it.
 
pdedse said:
I would also find others too good to pass up on the way to the one I was looking for:
AhqwgW9.jpg
My personal favorite was the 2nd picture in the series that found its way into your mural scavenger hunt. The picture with you in front of the Community Center is a close 2nd. Although they are all great, those two pictures had a special spontaneous magic about them as if you were born to someday ride a motorcycle and take a picture in front of those murals to satisfy the calling of the cosmos. :) Great stuff and thanks for sharing the moments. David
 
Although I love all the monthly photo challenges, I believe this month's may be my favorite. I am a sucker for a huge mural on the side of a building painted by street artists, rather than a digital print.

San Jose has a beautiful, laid-back downtown. I went there today, on what will most likely be my last ride in California. This is one of my favorite murals:

7QvROxQ.jpeg


A detailed map of all the murals is available here:

San Jose Downtown Murals
 
If that is one's cornucopia, then "la vida" is indeed "abundante"...Beautiful mural, rdp.


the Ferret said:
From today's ride

toqUhw2.jpg
...

Timely, as I just started watching Netflix's series on Grant.  Nice find!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top