CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grant was born in Point Pleasant about 8 miles from my house. I took Empty Sea and his group there when they came through. Lots of Grant stuff around here
 
I rode by Grant's Birthplace on my morning ride to get a pic for pdedse. It's the little white building on the left. Sometimes it's open and you can see inside. Times were simpler then lol.

59wkKWn.jpg


Grants Memorial Church in the background

LhgybEG.jpg
 
the Ferret said:
I rode by Grant's Birthplace on my morning ride to get a pic for pdedse. It's the little white building on the left. Sometimes it's open and you can see inside. Times were simpler then lol. ...


Thank you! It's neat to see.  I could live in a house like that.
 
Here in Switzerland it is very difficult to find murals. The building codes are extremely strict, which leaves very little room for some colorful art on walls that are in display to the public. So, I tried to think of where there might be something I could use as a suitable backdrop for this month's challenge.

I suddenly remembered that in the nearby town of Nyon there is a wonderful mural that the city has done to commemorate its Roman past. Some 2000 years ago, Nyon was a Roman city that contained many wonderful structures. Over time, these all disappeared and became buried under new constructions, and so today whenever there is some construction work being done, they tend to find remains of the Romans (and Julius Caesar!). In a square of the old town, they have painted a mural that resembles a temple that once stood there.

Many years ago I took a photo of my Austin Mini in front of the mural. At the time it was easy to access and to get a good shot.

Fue7N69.jpeg


Now the square in front of the mural is covered by a café, and so I struggled to squeeze the CB in front of it:

tHNuRmT.jpeg
dH4kNU3.jpeg


S
 
Oh wow, that is freaking amazing. I want to go see that.
And I want an old Mini. Like... a lot. I'd trade my beloved Fiesta ST in a heartbeat for a clean one. Can you imagine... I could fit an extra motorcycle in the garage!
 
Well, I still have that Mini, but it is worth quite a bit. It is like new, fully original and an extremely rare automatic one from 1970. I am the second owner of the car, and I have had it for about 40 years now.
 
That’s awesome. I never drive my Ford, so swapping a low-budget car I owe nothing on for an expensive classic I won’t drive doesn’t make a lot of sense. Mrs. G and I have had that discussion.

I’m on standby in a hospital waiting room checking out the Nyon Roman Museum website and photos. Pretty darn cool!
 
I was about to ask after your health, Gone, but then realised you were probably at work. At least, I hope so.
 
Cormanus said:
I was about to ask after your health, Gone, but then realised you were probably at work. At least, I hope so.

Ha! Yeah, if I’m not riding I’m in a clinic or a hospital waiting for a pickup. That’s my phone cruising time.
 
Gone in 60 said:
Hey, here’s my photo submission. Pretty cool mural, don’t you think?

That is a cool looking mural...enhanced by the dude wearing fine duds on a sublime bike!


I've been thinking about mural art and the "how it's done" process.  I've painted a number of homes (exterior, always brush and/or rolled) and you realize that some surfaces are easier / more difficult to work with than others.  For murals, I was wondering if it's all spray, if stencils are used, is it brushed on, rolled...seems like yes to everything, artists have their preferences and some techniques lend themselves well to specific surfaces.  I guess that's not surprsing. 

But I wanted to see their work in action and found some videos that might be fun to watch; the colors!
 

I live in a neighborhood with a homeowner's association that demands pre-approval of colors schemes--it's the northwest, so "earth tones" only.  I understand reasons why, but I'm not a huge fan.  I've also lived a number of years in Costa Rica and Mexico and really like bright color combos--our house in CR is painted light yellow and "papaya" orange and sits surrounded by jungle green forest.  I guess it blends in with other tropical colors.  I nearly had an artist paint a mural on the exterior of a Morpho butterfly which has vibrant blue, but there wasn't going to be enough time to finish while I was there on a solo trip.  But one day I'll get it done as a surprise for my wife who loves Morphos. Something like this, maybe about 2 x 3 meters: 
KPjuvnD.jpg


We already have one mural painted on an interior wall done by a previous renter and it turned out well.  In the end, if one grows tired of it, repaint the wall!

Back to mural art: I thought this video interesting because it details the work of a mural painting company for commercial advertising purposes:

Then there are mini-muralists...this guy's chalk work is fun and livens up an otherwise dull post:
 
pdedse, is your home in a 'community' where the Association has some legal right to insist on pre-approval of colour schemes?
 
Lord Popgun said:
Ferret, it looks like AI to me...

Ya got me. My CB is still at Mom’s. 

I just asked Gemini to “find a picture of me and put me on my 2013 CB1100 in front of a mural”.

It obviously found my most recent photo at the trade show, as I have our logo patch from my shirt transposed on the shoulder of a brown jacket. The white helmet with the word “stat” was pulled from the show backdrop.

Interesting that it shaved my soul patch, made my face a bit squishier and gave me a yellow watch and a wedding ring.

Also interesting that the subject of the mural is the Griffith Observatory, one of our area’s most recognizable landmarks.

Nice to know I can participate in the photo challenge without leaving my couch!
 
Gone in 60 said:
Lord Popgun said:
Ferret, it looks like AI to me...

Ya got me. My CB is still at Mom’s. 

I just asked Gemini to “find a picture of me and put me on my 2013 CB1100 in front of a mural”.

It obviously found my most recent photo at the trade show, as I have our logo patch from my shirt transposed on the shoulder of a brown jacket. The white helmet with the word “stat” was pulled from the show backdrop.

Interesting that it shaved my soul patch, made my face a bit squishier and gave me a yellow watch and a wedding ring.

Also interesting that the subject of the mural is the Griffith Observatory, one of our area’s most recognizable landmarks.

Nice to know I can participate in the photo challenge without leaving my couch!

Wait...so you don't own a yellow watch?  Disappointing.


Cormanus said:
pdedse, is your home in a 'community' where the Association has some legal right to insist on pre-approval of colour schemes?

Yep...you get fined--I don't know how much--if you paint your house w/out getting prior approval of colors.  And you have to repaint.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top