CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cormanus said:
Gone in 60 said:
... would you want to stay in a place where you attended your neighbor's funeral service just a few years earlier?

Might depend on the neighbour.

Ha! Very good point. Actually an awesome guy. A true wine aficionado-had a dazzling collection and knowledge of wine and hosted some very cool parties. Leaned into his cancer treatment and when that took his hair, he dressed as Yul Brynner from Magnificent Seven for Halloween, and decided to keep wearing the cowboy hat till the end.
 
Interesting story about that building, Gone. When I was working my way through college in Miami, FL, in the early 60's, I worked in the County Mental Hospital, which was part of the large county medical center. The county morgue was housed in another of the buildings and my friend worked nights there. Alone, except for 20 or 30 temporary occupants. I would often drop in and visit on my lunch hour, as he couldn't leave and it was a quiet place to keep a friend company and enjoy our lunch. A building may have many purposes and people may use it in many different ways, but we will all visit a mortuary eventually. I'm delaying that last visit as long as I can.
:biker:
 
I ain't going to the mortuary! They can part me out and use what they want, and toss the rest.

I had once drafted a request that my ashes be spread over the Indy 500 from a C-130 by Chuck Norris, but I decided that the organization might be a little taxing on those I leave behind, and now that Chuck is no longer with us, well, the magic is gone.
 
Yesterday I went for my first induction ride as a volunteer for Blood Bikes Australia. I treated myself to a roundabout route to the meeting point and arrived a bit early. I spotted a cemetery and, having a bit of time, decided to make an effort this month.
 
There ya go, Cormanus. That's some fine multi-tasking right there! The best of luck on your new adventure!
 
On the way to the museum yesterday, I stopped by Hollywood Forever. Most Hollywood legends are either buried here or at Forest Lawn a bit to the Northwest near Griffith Park.
In addition to being a fully-functioning cemetary and mortuary, it's also a big tourist attraction. They publish maps of where famous celebrities are located, and they host concerts and outdoor movies, projected onto the wall of the very tall main mausoleum. 

It's on Santa Monica Blvd, nestled in the "working" part of Hollywood, and is surrounded by studios both large and small, as well as post-production companies. Paramount backs up to it on the South side. Our cousins live off of Melrose on the other side of Paramount, so Hollywood Forever is a short walk from their house. There's a family plot and some aunts and uncles have already moved in. Mrs. and I have been offered the opportunity to buy in, but seeing as how the Chuck Norris option is highly unlikely, we've decided to donate ourselves to science (Not that Chuck couldn't still do it, it's just that the C-130 is no longer a front-line piece of hardware, and might by hard to locate by the time of my demise).

In the middle of the big city, it's a very peaceful place to stroll around, with all sorts of trees offering shady repose, and the call of several peacocks can be heard here and there. My Staintune muffler was kept to a respectably low burble as we idled through the place.

[attachment=1602]
[attachment=1603]
 

Attachments

  • C1.webp
    C1.webp
    78.3 KB · Views: 83
  • C2.webp
    C2.webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 83
  • C7.webp
    C7.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 51
  • C3.webp
    C3.webp
    83 KB · Views: 51
  • C4.webp
    C4.webp
    91.2 KB · Views: 51
  • C5.webp
    C5.webp
    71 KB · Views: 51
  • C6.webp
    C6.webp
    79 KB · Views: 51
Excellent, Gone. I hope the implied doubt about Chuck's ability to spread your ashes doesn't lead to a less-than-pleasant encounter with said gent. :D
 
Cormanus said:
Excellent, Gone. I hope the implied doubt about Chuck's ability to spread your ashes doesn't lead to a less-than-pleasant encounter with said gent. :D

Nothing I can do about it. If I meet him in a dark alley at some point, I’ll just assume that’ll be the end of me.
 
Have to wait and see, mate. You're very resourceful: it might be the end of him!
 
Oh, all of the Chuck Norris references... I get a lot of weird questions strolling around the Petersen. One, oddly enough is "Ok, so that scene in Lone Wolf McQuade, where his Dodge truck gets buried with him in it... he pulls a lever and turns on the supercharger to get extra power to drive the truck out of the grave. Um, you can't really turn a supercharger on and off, can you?"

My answer is "I'm sure that Chuck Norris could just tell the supercharger what to do at any given time. And that he could will the truck to not only drive out of an earthen grave, but to fly as well."

When the same question comes up regarding the Interceptor in Road Warrior, my answer is "Yeah, that's fake, you can't just turn on a supercharger."
 
Hey with my new rear tire, chain and rear brake pads, I finally get to play again....woo hoo

Mt Zion Cemetery .... dates back to the early 1800's.

bRVFPhC.jpg


2RYjBsO.jpg
 
My goal for this month was to complete the photo challenge without saying anything about a boat.  Unfortunately that isn't possible, because a boat is the only reason this cemetery exists.

The USS Tulip Monument in Saint Inigoes, MD is the smallest federal cemetery in the U.S.  It is so small it is not even managed by the Department of Veterans Affairs, but rather by a nearby naval base.

The USS Tulip, a union gunboat, departed the Potomac Flotilla base at Cross Manor enroute to the Washington Navy Yard for repairs on November 11, 1864.  Shortly after entering the Potomac river, the Captain ordered full steam on both boilers, against the advice of the engineers who had declared the starboard boiler unsafe.

The boiler exploded, killing 49 of the 57 men onboard.  Most of the bodies were never found, but the unidentified remains of 8 men were recovered and buried at this site at Cross Manor.  The site was purchased by the federal government in 1937 and a monument was erected in 1940 and placed under the management of the U.S. Navy.

[attachment=1647]
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260718_140113750.webp
    PXL_20260718_140113750.webp
    2 MB · Views: 96
On my trip to Washington yesterday, I was looking for small town cemetaries, but I guess people don't die in the areas I was riding.

But I did happen upon a tribute...I imagine to a 50 year ol' man who took a curve too fast back in 1987.

Rky0ErD.jpg
 
Not sure I felt right clicking the 'Like' button for a memorial. Poor Gerald.

But I did like the picture.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top