CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you mention where I like to go for breakfast. I was just there on my CB in late November. Shoulda taken a picture!
 
Here’s mine.

Hey it’s too expensive to eat breakfast out these days, and Mrs. G makes darn good waffles.

:shy:

Just kidding.
 
The local "big" place Bob Evans ("Bob Evans, down on the farm" was their slogan) which used to be a great place to eat breakfast before Covid hit, specializing in sausage, biscuits and gravy etc. One of the restaurants that never really recovered from the Covid slump.

0acaf5c3421a9bf9a84a24f0578ba78e.jpg


and the "little" place we like to go in the next town north east of us Rise and Dine in Bethel, Ohio

00cf8d6e2f5fed59086d2c0899399712.jpg
 
This is the Filling Station in our old downtown area. It was a gas station long ago in the ‘30s or thereabouts, and is a neat restaurant now. It’s not a place we go to often, but it’s a treat when we have visiting friends and relatives.

Bruxie here was on the leading edge of the chicken and waffles craze here in California. They started here, across the street from Chapman College in an old burger stand and struck gold. They expanded to a few other locations in the area. A very rare guilty pleasure at lunch time.

Starbucks is handy, but we like to support local businesses when we can. I skip breakfast these days but love a good cup of coffee. Black Dot hits the spot. Couldn’t park next to it this morning. Our town will host the annual Christmas Tree Lighting Festival this evening, and the town plaza is blocked off for pedestrian traffic only.
 
This one is a particular bummer. The Adobe was my favorite cheap burrito spot. Just off of the main plaza, behind a muffler shop that has been closed for years. It's an old house that was converted into a Mexican joint probably before I was born.

Unfortunately, it suffered a kitchen fire about five or six years ago and never reopened. The sign is still up, but the windows are papered over. Locals say that due to the history of the building, it might be converted back to the originally configured house one day.

Miss those burritos!
 
pdedse_imp said:
What do they serve at the Porcupine?
They do brunch on the weekends. My personal favs are their country fried steak with sausage gravy and eggs over easy. The breakfast burrito is a close second. Paired with a memosa, it’s one of our favorite places on the weekend. During the summer, since it sits right at the base of a canyon, we will often go for a drive up the canyon with the top off the Jeep. We have never had a bad experience there in 14 some odd years. I can’t really say that about any other restaurant.

Home - Porcupine Pub & Grille
 
For most of the country going to be tough to get a photo right now, unless you want a pic of their bike under a cover in the garage lol

Here's what it looks like outside my living room window right now and it's still coming down hard. Supposed to quit by 2 pm tomorrow afternoon.

7e9936fb4156eab1e1fced8acf96475f.jpg



There were only 3 of us contributed last month. Gone and I have had the choices plenty of times. Let Whoops pick.
 
The ferret_imp said:
For most of the country going to be tough to get a photo right now, unless you want a pic of their bike under a cover in the garage lol

Here's what it looks like outside my living room window right now and it's still coming down hard. Supposed to quit by 2 pm tomorrow afternoon.

7e9936fb4156eab1e1fced8acf96475f.jpg



There were only 3 of us contributed last month. Gone and I have had the choices plenty of times. Let Whoops pick.
Oh wow. Not expecting that. Honored just the same. :D

How about a picture in front of a place you used to live or work. Must accompany a short recounting of a motorcycle memory from said era. If you live in the same home or haven't lived in a different house where you are now, then any building that reminds you of a place you used to live or work along with the same memory.

*It isn't necessary to post any identifiable addresses or company names or logo's if you are concerned about putting that out there.
 
Good one, Whoops. A reminder that the rules for this thread and a list of previous challenges can be found here.
 
b6a0f4e38664c1c6b9d585ff9fb4c7c7.jpg

I’ll go first.

This is the house I grew up in (photo edited to look like and old faded picture). I was 8 years old here when I got my first motorcycle, a Yamaha YZ100. My dad bought it for me after we went and watched the 1978 Widowmaker Hill Climb. It was a modified MX bike from a local racer who was a pretty accomplished competitor and would flip his bike every season.

I remember my father reconsidering giving it to me for my birthday after he took it for a spin and discussing other options with my mother. I won out in the end by telling them all my friends had a dirt bike and I would just be stuck home all summer while they went out riding. :P

 
Looking forward to this one once the winds die down. Just handed in the keys to my office building on 12/31 and the new owner was salivating to start demolition of the interior to turn the place into a car storage garage, so I'm curious as to how that's going. Also curious to visit my childhood home to see if the driveway my Step-Dad and I built is still there.
 
Had my chores done early this morning, and it's my last free day before I start my new gig on Monday. The air was calm, so I set out to get some pictures for this month's challenge.

Up until I handed over my key nine days ago, this was my office and shop. Nothing's changed so far, but there was a contractor wandering into the building, and I know they plan to gut the interior of the place.


Not too far away is this building. I got head-hunted to work here in 2000 and had the top corner office. The company was RaceSearch, a dot-com-bubble startup and was supposed to be the first to offer race car parts for sale online, with direct shipment to home customers. It was also supposed to go IPO in a few months and make us all rich. But, the technology to make it work hadn't really gelled back then, and it crashed and burned within a year. The next day, I started at the company I just shut down.


Back in 1984, this Smart & Final store in Buena Park was a Thrifty Drug store, and was the first place I ever officially drew a paycheck from at 16 (not counting mowing lawns in the neighborhood since I was 12). I scooped ice cream, and Thrifty ice cream is now considered quite hip. A single scoop costs more than 35 cents these days, however.


You can't really just drive up to the entrance to Disneyland, get out and take a picture. But, here's the entrance to the main parking lot as shot from a bus stop across Harbor Blvd. Once I got booted from Thrifty (my high school work permit didn't allow me to work past 9:00pm, and the boss didn't like that I couldn't close the store at 10:00pm) I started at Disneyland and stayed through college. I was a cook, then the kitchen manager at the Blue Bayou restaurant. High school girls liked the guys who could get them into Disneyland for free, so it was a natural choice.


I also spent some time in college working as a mechanic at this Pep Boys store near home. It was neat to work on cars, but they had an incredibly unscrupulous practice of ripping off customers and I didn't stay long. As an example, the boss would squirt oil on certain things and convince the customers their cars were leaking and needed major repairs. The place got raided by the Consumer Affairs Department shortly after I left.

I was hoping to make it out to my childhood apartment building in Torrance, but the closer I got, the thicker the smoke from the L.A. fires got, and I turned around when my eyes started burning. Mom and I moved to Torrance when I was tiny. I still love the neighborhood and wouldn't mind living there.

In 1980, Mom, Step-Dad and I moved into this house in Buena Park. I remember the purchase price of this three bedroom, two bath with a large living room addition was $98,000, and was quite a stretch for the family. Originally, there was quite a bit of gingerbread trim on the eves and around the windows. In fact, the roof over the garage originally sloped downward to the lawn a lot more. So much more, in fact, that when I knew I was going to stay out past curfew, and that the folks would be easily awakened by my old Dodge rumbling up the driveway and me opening the front door, I had a trick. I'd keep my bedroom window, which faced the backyard open. I'd park a few houses away, and could actually hoist myself onto the low roof, sneak over to the back yard, and enter my bedroom window. Worked like a charm. Looks like the place got a new, more modern roof since then.

The brick and concrete driveway that my Step-Dad and I built is still there. We laid the bricks in rows as formers, and as time allowed and we were able to borrow a truck from a neighbor, we'd go get a trailer load of wet concrete and fill in one of the rows. Took about a month to finish.


This rather shabby Anaheim apartment complex was brand new when my best friend and I moved into it out of college - our first home away from the parents.. how proud we were! The Jack-in-the-Box is still on the corner, and I imagine the drive-thru loud speaker still keeps the apartment residents awake at night to this day.
 
Ok, this isn't my Honda, but I figured the Bonneville needed a day out after her harrowing experience in the garage a few days ago.


During my tenure at ProMedia, I took a break to go work in this building, which used to be Racepak, a maker of racing data recording systems used in cars and boats. After four years, the company was acquired by a large conglomerate of racing parts companies. We were closed down, and I returned to ProMedia. Thinking about it, I've had way more jobs shot out from under me than I have left voluntarily.

One of the reasons I wanted to visit this place was to talk with the current occupants, which I had found to be an off-road suspension company, was to see if there was still a funny car body hanging from the ceiling in the factory area. When I was there the company president made a deal with the curator of the NHRA museum in Pomona to acquire one of the fiberglass bodies used on Kenny Bernstein's 1984 Budweiser Tempo funny car. This was the first race car to use a Racepak data recording system, and the boss wanted it for posterity.

He also thought it would be a great inspiration to the workers to hang it upside down from the ceiling of the factory. It actually scared some of them to the point that they wouldn't work under it, but extensive studies had been carried out to make sure it was safe, and it held tight at least until I left the place.


Unfortunately, I never got to find out if it's still there. The building is now vacant, and there's no way to see inside.

Bummer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top