CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
suhawk305_imp said:
Good submittals Gone and Whoops!
Indeed. I am only up to chapter 12 on Gone's though. :rofl:

I kid. It's definitely neat to see through the mirror, so to speak. Nice pics and backstories Gone!
 
Our company provides IT Support for Fire Departments, Ambulance Companies, 911 Dispatch Centers, Emergency Operations Centers, and Federal Research Centers. It is a 24/7/365 operation. We are blessed to have 22 hard-working, talented, committed people working to help keep Northern California safe.

Our business leased Office Space at Hacienda Park in Pleasanton for over 15 years. The office was built in the 1990s. The developer built around a grove of red wood trees. There are three buildings with a large parking lot surrounding all three.

34a4ee1e7505c817e0018ea519a86995.jpeg


Sadly, when our third lease was up, new owners raised the rent so much we had to relocate to a new office.

I was working at this office when I first saw a 2014 CB1100 at my motorcycle repair shop. It was love at first sight.

d3f41c248e357ae0b5907aef3eae5491.jpeg


I researched the history of the CB1100 and ultimately decided to pass on the 2014 and look for a 2017 CB1100EX. It took two years for me to find what will most likely be the last motorcycle I will ever own. I took an Uber to a consignment dealer in Sacramento to pick up my motorcycle. My first trip on the CB1100EX was a wonderful drive from Sacramento to Pleasanton. Here is a picture at the end of my first ride (95 miles). When I dismounted, I heard the tick, tick, tick of the motor. Life was perfect.

b4ca5c76143894d7f349bdcfad0390e3.jpeg


My former office will forever be associated with 2017 CB1100EX. I worked on the motorcycle in the basement parking lot to return it to its OEM setup. That office association is also reinforced every Saturday when I return to practice u-turns, tight turns weaving through the trees, slow-speed maneuvers, and stop-and-go starts in the parking lot.

I know it may seem excessive to practice so much for a rider of my age and experience, but many accidents happen in parking lots and at intersections. My love for the bike and my fervent desire to grow old together motivate me to return to my prior office and practice, practice, practice. :) I also like seeing the Red Woods.

01bce4bccae010cc3ddf6601b114a293.jpeg


704d9f19e9f170292a3122185e025540.jpeg


869a247aa5c3fa5f4b11a917efe64052.jpeg


520cafae8049606dd76f492fd1e78a03.jpeg


fc01d766fb124a7a611eacd6a2f3d21d.jpeg


We moved to a new office and everything worked out. But I will always remember Hacienda Park as the beginning of my beautiful relationship with the CB1100EX. :)
 
After two weeks with bad weather, yesterday was ok for a ride…

Here is a place I cannot access anymore, but we can have a view when passing along the street. Behind this old farm, a rather large electronics factory was built at the end of fifties years - first building in 1955. It is located in Saint-Egrève, town of the suburbs of Grenoble. Before 1955, there was only this farm house and grange. The house was transformed in a private restaurant, for customers and guests, and the grange became a large multi-purpose room. As far as I can see, this part of the plant, called “Elektra” is the only one unchanged along the years!
23f2d02a488b537f9411c272fda747a8.jpg


007fe025cb2b85b9afacdc23f701bb0f.jpg


I have been working there (in the buildings behind the farm) for 17 years, from 1981 to 1998. I was in charge of some special purpose cathode-ray tube developments, in Thomson-CSF electron tubes division. I have some very good souvenirs of this period, my job was quite interesting. Yet cathode-ray tubes technology was mature, but for some special purposes it remained an essential component for advanced electronic devices (air traffic control, avionics displays, photographic reproduction…) and new developments were conducted all along the time I was involved in this product line. It declined mid of ‘90s, when LCD technology emerged. Then I moved to an other plant, still within Thomson-CSF, but dealing with some other electronic components, for X-Ray imaging.

The Saint-Egrève plant kept on producing special purpose electronic components, but only semiconductor devices. Tubes manufacturing buildings were destroyed, now on about half of the space they used, there are living flats. Thomson-CSF changed his name to Thales, and later sold the semiconductors manufacturing facilities. It is now Teledyne e2V. That’s life! e2V (“English Electric Valve”) has been a Thomson-CSF competitor for years and years…;-)

Here is an aerial view of the plant, beginning of 1970 years :
e20bf4af80a1ff624fcc6b7896655dd8.jpg


And a video showing all the transformations along the years…

Some more information about the history of this area can be found here. Historique du site de St Egrève – Tedimage38
Sorry, it is in French. But many pictures and videos can be understood however.

Jean-Pierre
 
Delphisa_imp said:
After two weeks with bad weather, yesterday was ok for a ride…

Here is a place I cannot access anymore, but we can have a view when passing along the street. Behind this old farm, a rather large electronics factory was built at the end of fifties years - first building in 1955. It is located in Saint-Egrève, town of the suburbs of Grenoble. Before 1955, there was only this farm house and grange. The house was transformed in a private restaurant, for customers and guests, and the grange became a large multi-purpose room. As far as I can see, this part of the plant, called “Elektra” is the only one unchanged along the years!
23f2d02a488b537f9411c272fda747a8.jpg


007fe025cb2b85b9afacdc23f701bb0f.jpg


I have been working there (in the buildings behind the farm) for 17 years, from 1981 to 1998. I was in charge of some special purpose cathode-ray tube developments, in Thomson-CSF electron tubes division. I have some very good souvenirs of this period, my job was quite interesting. Yet cathode-ray tubes technology was mature, but for some special purposes it remained an essential component for advanced electronic devices (air traffic control, avionics displays, photographic reproduction…) and new developments were conducted all along the time I was involved in this product line. It declined mid of ‘90s, when LCD technology emerged. Then I moved to an other plant, still within Thomson-CSF, but dealing with some other electronic components, for X-Ray imaging.

The Saint-Egrève plant kept on producing special purpose electronic components, but only semiconductor devices. Tubes manufacturing buildings were destroyed, now on about half of the space they used, there are living flats. Thomson-CSF changed his name to Thales, and later sold the semiconductors manufacturing facilities. It is now Teledyne e2V. That’s life! e2V (“English Electric Valve”) has been a Thomson-CSF competitor for years and years…;-)

Here is an aerial view of the plant, beginning of 1970 years :
e20bf4af80a1ff624fcc6b7896655dd8.jpg


And a video showing all the transformations along the years…

Some more information about the history of this area can be found here. Historique du site de St Egrève – Tedimage38
Sorry, it is in French. But many pictures and videos can be understood however.

Jean-Pierre
Thanks for the interesting history J.P. good to know some background about those screens.
And the winter pics, cheers.
 
The mountains and factory are far more impressive than my former office.:) Your connection to both and your storytelling are also beautiful, Jean-Pierre.

I do hope you continue to share history and moments involving France. My Mother is French, and I enjoy seeing every day life from France. And when you include your motorcycle, c'est magnifique!
 
It's February, folks. Time for a new challenge!

By the way, I found out that the funny car body was taken...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
It's February, folks. Time for a new challenge!

By the way, I found out that the funny car body was taken...
As you were the first to post Gone, sounds like it’s your choice. If you wanted to pass for whatever reason, the next runner up would be Rdprd01.
 
Ya know, Whoops, I guess since you called it last month and made the first entry, Marquis of Queensbury rules would technically kick it back to me, woudn't it.

Sorry for not catching that and the late start. Hmm... what to do... I know many can't ride this time of year with the weather, so how 'bout this:

If you can't ride: A picture of a piece of riding gear that's the same color as your bike
If you can ride: A picture of your bike with the most interesting road sign that you can find that is not a stop or speed limit sign.
 
C'mon guys... I know it can't be that hard.
I know someone who might have a piece of gear that matches their bike... perhaps something red that was purchased from another forum member here...

Anyway, guess I'll start out. Beautiful day, the roads were dry, and my CB1100 was sad... rode it to work at the museum today and caught two interesting signs. But, due to the fact that you can't park in traffic to take closer pictures, they're a bit far from where I was able to park close enough to get pictures.

These are both blue neighborhood signs posted high on lamp posts. The first says "Miracle Mile District", which denotes the area that's about half-way between downtown L.A. and the beach area in Santa Monica along Wilshire Boulevard. The Miracle Mile was a shopping district that was positioned to be easily reachable by the upscale set in either area. In fact, the Petersen Museum was originally a fancy department store called Seibu, then Orbachs. Across the street, the Academy Arts Museum was originally a May Company store.


The second sign, "Little Ethiopia" is a neighborhood along Fairfax below Olympic Boulevard, with a few blocks of Ethiopian stores and restaurants. I've passed through thousands of times, but have yet to try one of the restaurants. I've heard the cuisine described as being close to Indian, which I like.
 
Best part is, the latch didn’t fall out of the top box this time. Looks like I snapped the c-clip on correctly with the new lock. This was the box’s full load test, carrying my museum uniform and gear, lunch, and some groceries Mrs. G had me stop and pick up for dinner.
 
Heres my first entrant into the monthly photo contest!

I got this from my best friend and life long riding buddy (we grew up riding ATVs together as kids. Every day after school we would ride around my farm, me on a Kawasaki Bayou 220 and him on a Polaris 2-stroke, now we both have big polaris sportsmen but we don't ride nearly as much as we used to, we upgraded to bikes lol)

The jacket fits me perfectly, vintage would be 70s I think? I wear it in the colder weather since it really blocks the wind and has an inner liner that makes it even warmer. It was a great gift from his dad as it wouldn't fit him or my best friend anymore.
 
Wow, that jacket has some history! And black to match your bike. That's the theme!
You have just nominated yourself to pick next month's photo challenge! :)
 
Thank you! Definitely some history on it, fits the bike as well IMO.
 
Any rules on the photo challenge? From what I've seen its a if you can ride or if you can't ride photo challenge, and obviously CB themed.
What about repeats? Since I'm newer here I'm not sure if I'll pick something that has been done yet.
 
Well I could've just looked at page 1 for this thread. Duh.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top