CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cormanus_imp said:
Does IKEA ice cream come in a flat pack?
No, but they recently introduced a new "Plant-based hot dog" that I honestly can't tell from a real one. Their previous veggie-dog was dark brown and green, looked like it was made from wadded-up old newspapers, and was the same consistency as the bun. And while I was there, I picked up a bag of frozen "nuggets" that I just had for lunch today. Not bad!

Best part is, they have a secret mustard called Johnny's Sotstark Senap that you used to have to know about and ask for if you bought a pretzel or a hot dog. Oddly enough they do not sell this mustard in their store. It's like crack to me... I can't get enough of it. Now, they've put it in a dispenser next to the regular ketchup and mustard. I've not been shy about taking a small jar over there and helping myself. The shipping on this stuff to the U.S. is killer.

Johnny's Senap Sötstark Sweet & Hot Mustard 500 grams - Scandinavian Online Store
 
Not sure this counts, but it's fun.
a4217799b8911f337497a9248ea75136.jpg
 
Nice work, Cormanus.

So, I'm having an existential crisis over the first component of this month's photo challenge, finding an architectural feature that doesn't serve any purpose. When you think about it, all architecture serves some kind of purpose. Even Tev's Follies were intended to keep people's hands busy during hard times during hard times, so that they wouldn't be doing other things that would most likely tick off The Almighty (Just assuming).

I had a grand plan to ride to Long Beach and take pictures of the famous Oil Islands, which are oil pumping stations a few hundred yards from the beach. They are decorated with fake facades imitating high-rise buildings and bushes to obscure the oil pumps and related machinery. But even those fake facades serve a purpose of hiding icky-looking things from beach-goers and owners of million-dollar homes. Even the fake stuff at Disneyland that's tall enough to see from the street, like the Matterhorn, serves a purpose - it houses a kick-ass rollercoaster inside.

So, as Darth Vader said, I'm altering the deal. Maybe this will help more people participate this month. Plus, I want to see cool stuff from where you all live and ride. So, since it's my month, I am changing the first component to "Your bike next to an architectural feature in your area that is noteworthy for its design, because it's controversial, innovative, or just plain weird." The second component, your bike in a designated motorcycle parking area, still stands.

There has been a competition in Southern California over the last few decades for public architecture to out-weird whatver was just built. This started with the Disney Concert Hall in the L.A. Music Center, built in 2003.

(Not a new pic, that's an old BMW I was riding at the time).

Since then, we've gotten all sorts of weirdness, like the Broad Museum a block to the Disney Hall's south, which looks like someone leaned a huge white Lexus grille against a department store. The interior reminds me of the Sleestak caves from Land of the Lost. (No pics, but it's featured in my YouTube video here
- shameless plug for views)

Then we got SoFi Stadium, a huge chrome burrito that's visible for miles around. The Petersen Automotive Museum figured they'd top them all by coating their exterior, previously a glass-fronted department store, in red corrugated aluminum and draping ribbons of stainless steel spaghetti over the top and down the sides.


The L.A. Museum of Art, a block to the Petersen's east, felt dated in comparison, so it was razed, and the architectural renderings promised something that would take bizarre to the next level. But, it's shape is coming into view now, and it's already being criticized for not being weird enough... it's basically going to be a concrete and glass grilled cheese sandwich melting across Wilshire Boulevard from one side to the other.

And, just wait till George Lucas is done with his new Interpretive Arts Center in Exposition Park. It's shaping up to be a Mon Calimari Space Cruiser with landscaping.

So... what did I bring to the table to kick off the new theme? The new Orange County Museum of Art, which I passed on the way to work this morning. The architects said "You want weird? Orange County can do weird! How 'bout some curves, some angles, some stuff sticking out for no reason! Hah. How 'bout that?" It's seen it's share of criticism so far... like "Um... where do you go in?"
 
Yea...we don't do that crazy architectural stuff in southern Ohio lol. We do, do Murals though.
 
LOL the Futuro House in Carlisle Ohio is northwest of me about 60 miles. The Longaberger basket building in Newark is northeast of me 180 miles/3 hours by the fastest route according to google maps. BTW I have been to both when I was traveling with my last job. (I called on both Carlisle and Newark street departments)

I have thought of 1 place that's a reasonable ride. May try it tomorrow.

I googled Motorcycle Only Parking areas in my county and there are none at least none that showed up, but 2 MPO places showed up in the heart of downtown Cincinnati. Doubt I would risk riding down there for a pic though. Traffic is nuts downtown.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL the Futuro House in Carlisle Ohio is northwest of me about 60 miles. The Longaberger basket building in Newark is northeast of me 180 miles/3 hours by the fastest route according to google maps. BTW I have been to both when I was traveling with my last job. (I called on both Carlisle and Newark street departments)

I have thought of 1 place that's a reasonable ride. May try it tomorrow.

I googled Motorcycle Only Parking areas in my county and there are none at least none that showed up, but 2 MPO places showed up in the heart of downtown Cincinnati. Doubt I would risk riding down there for a pic though. Traffic is nuts downtown.
Werd. I drove a truck through Cincinnati in June. You guys are crazy.

Pics of the Mushroom House!
 
Just shrink it to less than 250 mb.

If I take a pic with my phone, I’ll email it to myself and pick a smaller size than 250. Or I’ll resize in Paint (I am not sophisticated)
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL the Futuro House in Carlisle Ohio is northwest of me about 60 miles. The Longaberger basket building in Newark is northeast of me 180 miles/3 hours by the fastest route according to google maps. BTW I have been to both when I was traveling with my last job. (I called on both Carlisle and Newark street departments)

I have thought of 1 place that's a reasonable ride. May try it tomorrow.

I googled Motorcycle Only Parking areas in my county and there are none at least none that showed up, but 2 MPO places showed up in the heart of downtown Cincinnati. Doubt I would risk riding down there for a pic though. Traffic is nuts downtown.
The giant basket is 18 miles to our east, just past "Nerk" and on one of the routes that gets us to the northern end of Route 555 in Zanesville. Makes me feel like an ant at a picnic as we drive by.
 
Not sure this counts…no designated motorcycle parking nearby..
8f0685c042fa9e26a827ffcd72105af1.png
1db36d9f39a5fe524049ca26a39d7405.jpg

aee2699586f6dc35a322f7731c314fc1.jpg

Sign compliments of J. Houtman.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
How about a 4-story house built to look like an old riverboat? This one is down along the Ohio River Scenic Byway (St RT 52) about 45 miles east of Cincinnati facing the river

67c2406a614fef8c4f0366069063cf3d.jpg


1ef7ceccf4f0fd5118ab6ecbe7caea5f.jpg


I took Empty Sea's group past here when they were passing through a few years ago.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top