CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
KiowaEagle_imp said:
564ce5baf44548b475ab0023f0ce82cc.jpg


Well it’s not a winner but it’s in the spirit. Plus I had to figure out how to get a pic of her on the site without starting another “Ooops I did it again” thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love it Keagle. :thumbsup:
 
Ok, guess I’m lighting the candle on this month’s challenge. However, I will defer first choice for July as I picked the May challenge.

I had a dentist appointment this afternoon and decided that I needed a treat for being a good boy, so I left the 300 at the office and took the 1100 home. On the way, I was able to hit the Trifecta.

First, the Ramp Closed sign. Ugh. Due to the perpetual and never ending 405 Freeway widening project, my on ramp to the 405 to go home from work has just been scoured from the earth, and is not expected to be rebuilt for at least a month. Which, realistically means six months. So, my choice is to take the ramps either a few miles up or back from mine. Either choice is tedious as they are both now backed up, but with some cutthroat, aggressive riding, I can squeeze my way onto one of them easier than the other.

Next, gas prices. Yup, that’s the closest station to my office. Hurts, but the bike only takes three gallons, so, I guess it hurts less? The guy in the McLaren at the next pump over didn’t seem to be too concerned about the price.

And finally, a park sign. This little beauty makes commuting on a motorcycle more rewarding. If I leave my neighborhood and take city streets, I’ve got five traffic lights and two miles to the freeway. But, if I go to the end of my street, through Grijalva Park, and around a barricade just wide enough for a motorcycle, I get to a shortcut that wipes three lights, two tricky intersections and half a mile from my way to the freeway. Can’t do that in the car!
 
Great job Gone! and let me say I would cry with those gas prices...gads

Nice Bike Kiowa Eagle. I like it. Hope you do too. Is it new?
 
They say location is everything. There is another gas station kiddy-corner from this one that is a bit less. But, if you’re getting on the freeway, the more expensive station’s exit offers a straight shot to either the north or south ramps to the 405. You can only exit the other station heading away from the freeway.

Of course, they’re both still hideously overpriced. Mrs. Gone and I were in Long Beach on Monday, where lots of oil pumping takes place. We were laughing, painfully, when we saw oil wells chugging away on the property of a gas station that was charging $6.30
 
Today’s ride: This is not an”unusual sign” but it is a sign I do not like running into. The town was in the process applying the oil and stone (aka: tar and chip) on this road which made me to decide to turn around and take a longer route home (life is tough).

41244a9f258ec5fa784d78e80a20fbd5.jpg


KiowaEagle, congrats on another motorcycle, nice looking. You change motorcycles more often than some people change their underwear ;-)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Great job Gone! and let me say I would cry with those gas prices...gads

Nice Bike Kiowa Eagle. I like it. Hope you do too. Is it new?
There is a simple solution, you may have heard of it before.
Every time before you go to the pump, put 20$ in your pockets, fill up for just that amount and ride on. No price changes affecting you any more. The world is again a better place.
 
Ha! That's a good theory, j3gq. Most stations here in California offer a lower price for cash than using a credit card. Right now, twenty bucks will just fill my CB1100 or Bonnie's tank .

I don't stress over the prices much. I NEED to get to work. I'm doing it as efficiently as possible on motorcycles that get between 50 and 75 mpg. I don't see how I can do it better. Besides, I have other things to worry about that I can control - I can't control the price of gas.

Now, if I really wanted to be efficient, and didn't mind leaving two hours early, I suppose I could ride a bicycle...
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ha! That's a good theory, j3gq. Most stations here in California offer a lower price for cash than using a credit card. Right now, twenty bucks will just fill my CB1100 or Bonnie's tank .

I don't stress over the prices much. I NEED to get to work. I'm doing it as efficiently as possible on motorcycles that get between 50 and 75 mpg. I don't see how I can do it better. Besides, I have other things to worry about that I can control - I can't control the price of gas.

Now, if I really wanted to be efficient, and didn't mind leaving two hours early, I suppose I could ride a bicycle...
... but let's be honest here, if you were leaving two hours early, you'd just take a longer motorcycle route to work. :biker:
 
That I can do... I have the "had a good day at work, direct route", which takes about 20 minutes.

I also have the "Had a bad day at the office, head to the beach, ride along Pacific Coast Highway, turn left and head inland in Laguna, stop and take a breather at the biker bar in Santiago Canyon, and enjoy the twisties on the last six miles to home route", which takes considerably longer, and varies based on how long I stay at that bar. Just to listen to the music and talk with other bikers, of course.
 
One of my projects this morning was to clear off old stuff from my phone to make room for new stuff. Going through old photos, I came across a picture of my favorite road sign. About a year or so ago, I was riding in Palos Verdes, which is along the coast just north of the L.A. Harbor area that's been so newsworthy lately.

It's a beautiful stretch of coastal cliffs, with golf courses, a nature preserve, homes and hiking trails. If you want to know what the area looks like, watch the movie Step Brothers. The famous Catalina Wine Mixer was filmed on a golf course in Palos Verdes, and the ironic (and probably intentional) thing is that Catalina Island is actually visible in the distance in most of the scenes.

In my young days, my parents ran a dry cleaner in Palos Verdes, and we drove along this road on Saturdays when I went with them to hang out and do little projects around the cleaners. A portion of Palos Verdes Drive is called Portuguese Bend, where the land is constantly shifting and slowly moving toward the ocean. For almost a mile, the road is a wild rollercoaster that is constantly being patched and repaved to keep it open.

I remember my Step Dad taking this part of the road rather quickly in his '76 Regal, allowing me to bounce around in the car like a ping-pong ball. Of course, danger hadn't been invented in the '70s.

Anyhoo, it's a slow day here at work, the sun is shining, I had errands to run, and I hadn't exercised the CB1100 in a few weeks. Plus, I wanted to get a picture of a road sign that was more interesting than my earlier "Ramp Closed Ahead" submission. It was quite a trek to get down to Palos Verdes from the office, but traffic was pretty light.

The picture with blue sky in the background was my earlier picture, showing a close-up of the largest sign. The coast was a bit cloudy today, so the grey sky photos are what I took today. The Bend was as wavy and curvy as ever, but I didn't bounce off of the bike like a ping-pong ball.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
That I can do... I have the "had a good day at work, direct route", which takes about 20 minutes.

I also have the "Had a bad day at the office, head to the beach, ride along Pacific Coast Highway, turn left and head inland in Laguna, stop and take a breather at the biker bar in Santiago Canyon, and enjoy the twisties on the last six miles to home route", which takes considerably longer, and varies based on how long I stay at that bar. Just to listen to the music and talk with other bikers, of course.
Any chance you have a little space to let in your house, and I could go from there too ? ... just for a few month ... than I’d return to the alps (or not :dodgy:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top