CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
spechg_imp said:
Thank you EmptySea, I accept the challenge. Tev's was a tough one.
Since I have just retired from the aviation industry, my challenge is to take a photo of your CB1100 in front of a vintage, propeller driven aircraft. The older the aircraft is, the better.
In regards to "older ... is ... better", does that imply not the first image, but the "oldest" airplane with a CB1100 during the month "wins"?
 
How 'bout the helicopter from From Russia With Love? Gotta be at least a 1963.
It is a propeller-driven aircraft, right? :banana:

But, I took this a while back, so no-countsies.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
spechg_imp said:
Thank you EmptySea, I accept the challenge. Tev's was a tough one.
Since I have just retired from the aviation industry, my challenge is to take a photo of your CB1100 in front of a vintage, propeller driven aircraft. The older the aircraft is, the better.
In regards to "older ... is ... better", does that imply not the first image, but the "oldest" airplane with a CB1100 during the month "wins"?
In regards to "older ... is ... better", does that imply not the first image, but the "oldest" airplane with a CB1100 during the month "wins"?
I should have been more specific. Let's make it that the aircraft has to be on the ground and it must be a prop driven aeroplane (sorry, no helicopters!). To have the aeroplane in the sky above the bike would be too easy. EmptySea's rules state that whoever satisfies the criteria first wins, so we'll go with that.
 
I didn't intend to submit an entry to this month's contest so quickly, but fate has a way of making things interesting.

Toward the end of the day, a small but weighty piece of shop equipment decided to go on the blink, so I had to drop it off at a supplier on the way home from work. I had ridden the little 300 to work, and while its Givi rack is sturdy enough to haul my lunch, I wouldn't burden it with much more than a few frozen burritos, so I left on the CB1100 with it's much more capable rack. Besides, I hadn't ridden her in a while.

The repair shop happens to be near the airport not too far from the office, and features a museum on the West side of the runway. The new photo challenge subject couldn't have been more appropriate for my situation!

Unfortunately, while the heavily tinted glass on said museum probably does a great job of protecting the rarities inside from the harsh afternoon sun, it does not make it easy for a vintage iPhone to photograph what's inside. But, behind that darkened glass is a B17, B25 and a DC3.

There is a viewing area near the museum for airplane enthusiasts to watch the comings and goings at John Wayne International, and for a Monday evening there were quite a few shutterbugs on hand, which had me thinking that they were expecting something interesting to take off or land. The last time more than five guys stood around with cameras, a Ford Trimotor trundled up to the apron. But, after waiting around for a bit, it seemed that these people were just interested in the mundane passing of Southwest, Frontier and Alaska 737s and A320s.

So, here's what was on the ground in the immediate area with a propeller, rather than an impeller. a Cessna, a Pilatus, and some sort of twin turboprop. I tried to get dramatic with a 172 on climb-out, but my aforementioned vintage phone has reduced it to a white smudge over my bike.

Since I punted on this one, I'll defer to anyone who goes out of their way to get a pic with something more interesting.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I didn't intend to submit an entry to this month's contest so quickly, but fate has a way of making things interesting.

Toward the end of the day, a small but weighty piece of shop equipment decided to go on the blink, so I had to drop it off at a supplier on the way home from work. I had ridden the little 300 to work, and while its Givi rack is sturdy enough to haul my lunch, I wouldn't burden it with much more than a few frozen burritos, so I left on the CB1100 with it's much more capable rack. Besides, I hadn't ridden her in a while.

The repair shop happens to be near the airport not too far from the office, and features a museum on the West side of the runway. The new photo challenge subject couldn't have been more appropriate for my situation!

Unfortunately, while the heavily tinted glass on said museum probably does a great job of protecting the rarities inside from the harsh afternoon sun, it does not make it easy for a vintage iPhone to photograph what's inside. But, behind that darkened glass is a B17, B25 and a DC3.

There is a viewing area near the museum for airplane enthusiasts to watch the comings and goings at John Wayne International, and for a Monday evening there were quite a few shutterbugs on hand, which had me thinking that they were expecting something interesting to take off or land. The last time more than five guys stood around with cameras, a Ford Trimotor trundled up to the apron. But, after waiting around for a bit, it seemed that these people were just interested in the mundane passing of Southwest, Frontier and Alaska 737s and A320s.

So, here's what was on the ground in the immediate area with a propeller, rather than an impeller. a Cessna, a Pilatus, and some sort of twin turboprop. I tried to get dramatic with a 172 on climb-out, but my aforementioned vintage phone has reduced it to a white smudge over my bike.

Since I punted on this one, I'll defer to anyone who goes out of their way to get a pic with something more interesting.
Good effort Gone in 60, but I was thinking of something a bit more vintage (and interesting) than a Cessna. The B17, B25 or DC3 would have done nicely.
 
Whelp, my hydraulic pump was ready to pick up early this morning, so I went back to the airport to get it on the way in to work. I was hoping that the morning sun might be poking through the windows of the museum on the other side, giving me a better chance of getting some pics from the parking lot side through the glass. No dice, those windows are too dark.

There was a docent ambling about, getting ready to open the museum, and we chatted for a minute. While the museum docent brotherhood is strong, and we try to help each other out when we can, he said I couldn't ride out onto the airport tarmac to get a better picture from the airport side of the museum.

Looking through the fence, the only things of interest to take pictures of this morning were a small squadron of Orange County Sheriff Department helicopters doing their pre-flight checks, a Beech V-tail and a Mooney Ranger.

With work travel and elder parent care commitments, that's going to be my best effort this month. We stopped at the Pima Museum on our vacation last week - anyone in the Tucson area will have easy pickings for this challenge.
 
Thread starter
Good challenge topic. I hope to see many great pictures. To restate for clarity’s sake:

spechg would like to see a picture of your CB1100 in frame with an obviously vintage and propeller-driven airplane. Both bike and aircraft must be on the ground.

[Note: I added “clearly vintage” because I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a Cessna built in 2015 from one built in 1980].
 
Thread starter
I don't know why the model P-51 wouldn't count, actually -- as long as you built it when you were a kid. However, heading to the airport would be more in the spirit of the Monthly Photo Challenge mission.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I don't know why the model P-51 wouldn't count, actually -- as long as you built it when you were a kid. However, heading to the airport would be more in the spirit of the Monthly Photo Challenge mission.
:worship:
I wouldn't really do that. But it will be fun to tour some of the local airports and see what I can find. I have been wanting to go to Luke AFB and get a couple shots with the F-16s or F-35s in the background, but too much real-life interrupting my riding. I love planes and this one is a great challenge.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Nacho, how far are you from some of the airplane boneyards in AZ?
Too far. Tucson is about two hours away on I-10 if there are no traffic issues, which there always are. I avoid I-10 in a car, much less a bike. Yup, if I were in Tucson, I'd be out at the Pima Air Museum posting pictures even before this challenge. Also the huge boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Closer to home, and more in keeping with the challenge, the Commemorative Air Force Museum over by Falcon Field would be the place to go. It is very tempting, though it's a good hour on the freeways and the daily temperatures are now getting into the 90s and no fun to ride. Riding through the city would not be an option. Now, if I lived in East Anglia, in England I would ride to Duxford to the Imperial Air Museum and get my bike with something like a Spitfire or Hurricane or maybe even a real P-51. I volunteered there in '03-'06 and that place is fantastic. If you can get there, go. Meanwhile, I'm not completely out of options.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Nacho, how far are you from some of the airplane boneyards in AZ?
Too far. Tucson is about two hours away on I-10 if there are no traffic issues, which there always are. I avoid I-10 in a car, much less a bike. Yup, if I were in Tucson, I'd be out at the Pima Air Museum posting pictures even before this challenge. Also the huge boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Closer to home, and more in keeping with the challenge, the Commemorative Air Force Museum over by Falcon Field would be the place to go. It is very tempting, though it's a good hour on the freeways and the daily temperatures are now getting into the 90s and no fun to ride. Riding through the city would not be an option. Now, if I lived in East Anglia, in England I would ride to Duxford to the Imperial Air Museum and get my bike with something like a Spitfire or Hurricane or maybe even a real P-51. I volunteered there in '03-'06 and that place is fantastic. If you can get there, go. Meanwhile, I'm not completely out of options.
I came across that boneyard by accident via the back roads. Man, I wanted in on the grounds. However, I am sure they would have blacklisted by passport if I tried.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Nacho, how far are you from some of the airplane boneyards in AZ?
Too far. Tucson is about two hours away on I-10 if there are no traffic issues, which there always are. I avoid I-10 in a car, much less a bike. Yup, if I were in Tucson, I'd be out at the Pima Air Museum posting pictures even before this challenge. Also the huge boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Closer to home, and more in keeping with the challenge, the Commemorative Air Force Museum over by Falcon Field would be the place to go. It is very tempting, though it's a good hour on the freeways and the daily temperatures are now getting into the 90s and no fun to ride. Riding through the city would not be an option. Now, if I lived in East Anglia, in England I would ride to Duxford to the Imperial Air Museum and get my bike with something like a Spitfire or Hurricane or maybe even a real P-51. I volunteered there in '03-'06 and that place is fantastic. If you can get there, go. Meanwhile, I'm not completely out of options.
I came across that boneyard by accident via the back roads. Man, I wanted in on the grounds. However, I am sure they would have blacklisted by passport if I tried.
I came across that boneyard by accident via the back roads. Man, I wanted in on the grounds. However, I am sure they would have blacklisted by passport if I tried. Very possibly not. Thirty years ago, when I was stationed there, we gave tours of the boneyard. Also, you can get a good look at it from the air on Google. Interesting place.
 
Mrs. Gone and I accidentally drove up to the main entrance of that base last week. We stayed in a motel in Tucson on our vacation, and were looking for the nearest Starbucks the next morning on Google Maps. The map didn't mention that the Starbucks happened to be on an Air Force base.

"Sorry, I was just following the GPS to the closest Starbucks... mind if I turn around?
 
" Now, if I lived in East Anglia, in England I would ride to Duxford to the Imperial Air Museum and get my bike with something like a Spitfire or Hurricane or maybe even a real P-51. I volunteered there in '03-'06 and that place is fantastic. If you can get there, go. Meanwhile, I'm not completely out of options."
[/QUOTE]

And if you like the really early stuff (WW1 and earlier) there is The Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire. A CB1100 with a Sopwith Camel. What could be better?
 
If it's not blasting hot this weekend (97 today in my town), I have and idea...
 
Yeah... first heat wave of the year. Luckily, I work closer to the beach, so it might just be in the upper 80s in my warehouse today.
I don't mind the weekday commute in the heat, since it's only about 20 minutes each way. But my weekend commute to the museum is over an hour, and in the heat, it gets a little tedious.

But, the L.A. location of the Bike Shed is opening this weekend, and I'd like to check it out. And, I think I know where I can spot some vintage planes along the way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top