CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the place is pretty popular at Halloween. The orange barricades were a little weird to see when I rolled up this morning, but I surmised that it was a safety measure to keep their COVID-era outdoor parking lot dining zone separate from the actual parking lot.

Probably a good idea for those who have ambled out to their cars after a little too much Chianti. Not that I would know... :angel:

By the way, Gold, you brought up the story of the girl in the water tank at the Cecil Hotel in downtown L.A. I was thinking of heading there on one of my upcoming commutes to the Petersen Museum, since it's downright creepy, and is no doubt haunted with the ghosts of several pimps, crackheads and other miscreants.

As you can imagine, that story was all over the news in Southern California at the time. A side story... just two weeks after that happened, I was on a late night flight from Philly to L.A. Two girls in their late teens or early twenties were sitting next to me, speaking German and looking through a Los Angeles visitor guide printed in German. Eventually, they started asking me questions about what they would be able to do on their week-long visit to the city.

Since the flight was landing at about 1:00 AM, I asked if anyone was picking them up at the airport, and where they were staying. They were going to wait an hour for a bus in a rather unsavory area near the airport, and were staying in a hostel in Santa Monica.

I started having visions of news bulletins about two young missing German tourists. Eventually, I said that they should not be waiting for a bus in that part of town in the middle of the night, and if they thought that they could trust me, I'd like to drive them to their hostel just to have the peace of mind that they made it safely.

They thought about it for a while, then took me up on the offer. As we were waiting for our luggage, my wife called to ask if I had landed safely. I said yes, but that I'd be home later than planned, since I was taking a couple of teenage girls to Santa Monica.

"Hmm... can't wait for you to explain that in the morning..."
 
Thanks, Gold. I don't have an altruistic bone in my body, but for some reason, I got the sense that I should help these girls, if for no other reason than to keep their spirits from haunting me if something bad happened. Actually, I was pretty jealous. The hostel where I dropped them off was surrounded by beachfront Santa Monica hotels that command some pretty high prices.
 
Story starts not more than 60 years ago, in Jazeerat Al Zaab, or Jazeera Al Hamra (The Red Island) when tbe native tribe Al Zaabi had a falling out with the local Sheikh (tribal chief, also a term of respect used for an teacher in the mosque - Imam, not to be confused in this instance)
Practically overnight, the whole village packed up and caravaned out to Abu Dhabi where the ruler gave them asylum and land which they could call theirs, where they stayed. Al Zaabi can still be found around Ras Al Khaimah, although scattered and not connected to the tribe.

One thing you have to understand is that Muslims have very strong doctrine, and a lot of things about their faith exist in the intersection of beliefs and superstition. An intersection of 300 roads, without traffic light, without signs, and where everyone has their own rules - it's easy to get lost and get stuck. The only entities that are actually able to make sense of that are the Jinn. Something other religions may call demons or ghosts, yet they are not. They are metaphysical beings that exist in the same space and time with humans, however they are not made out of matter. As they cannot build a world for themselves, they use the world of humans as their own, and as soon as there is an empty house, a family of jinn moves in. And that is (obviously) what happened to the old village, now knows as Ghost Village. Jinn moved in, marked their territory and are there to stay.

Many people testified of hearing things and seeing things, but as jinn are not evil by default, just very territorial, they haunt and scare people to keep them away. There have never been any disappearances or murders on site, and to be honest it doesn't even feel particularly spooky.

Village has been in ruins ever since the tribe left, only recently the far side of the village is being restored by the government into a "heritage village/museum/gallery" - that actually looks very nice, and it's a must see, but it's not the topic of this months photo challenge
e56f747f5e0fddcecf56a24d24576ca6.jpg
9e4cfba5a98f7366d3f231e50fee52e7.jpg
4a5a9e6848008f56bb32d2302f828f05.jpg
c27b3d4d7b99593b7621d5b6090e4064.jpg
379c10d9e92c8adb8c6aed971f98fb12.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thanks for taking the time to share that Tod. Very interesting for sure. I had to read it a few times to completely follow,you. Good stuff.
 
I waited for the sun to set to run down and take a few pics, it's literally just down the road from where I live, on the far side of the beach. The extremely high humidity we are experiencing these days helped with creating the gloomy atmosphere, the raw photos were practically unusable, I hope a little editing will be forgiven

Sample
8701dd7ebbd6f921b751fa1e57e8412f.png
bea26f8f83d0bdec7eaf7c3762114512.png
b5e6b82547ae1afe75eede87268b2f31.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I waited for the sun to set to run down and take a few pics, it's literally just down the road from where I live, on the far side of the beach. The extremely high humidity we are experiencing these days helped with creating the gloomy atmosphere, the raw photos were practically unusable, I hope a little editing will be forgiven

Sample
8701dd7ebbd6f921b751fa1e57e8412f.png
bea26f8f83d0bdec7eaf7c3762114512.png
b5e6b82547ae1afe75eede87268b2f31.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Bah, I didn't even notice until to revealed your honesty.

Looks spooky 'n' surreal.
 
TommyMCK and I got together this morning to check out a local haunt here in Fairfax County, VA.
The location is known in local lore as "The Bunnyman Bridge."
This Southern Raiway bridge was built in 1906 and spans Colchester Road, a narrow dead end lane in the last rural area of Fairfax County.
There are many versions of the urban legend that has grown up around the spot, but they all find their beginning in the fall of 1970 when a young Air Force cadet and his fiance were attacked by a man in a bunny suit wielding a hatchet. He smashed their car window and the hatchet was later found on the floor of their car.
The various legends (a college student doing research found 54 different versions circulating way back in the seventies) are known to pretty much everyone in Northern VA and many beyond. There has been a slasher movie and it the spot was featured on a couple of national "ghost chaser" type shows.

Every year on Halloween the local constabulary has to turn away hundreds of folks who arrive from all over to see if The Bunnyman will make an appearance.
But we didn't notice anything untoward...
[url=https://postimg.cc/zHL9NhWT]
 
You were lucky not to go there on Halloween! I wonder what was going on in bunnyman's head smashing people's car just like that, would have been a real shame if he got hold of your bikes, especially Toms, that thing looks like a ripe peach, sweet an juicy

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
You were lucky not to go there on Halloween! I wonder what was going on in bunnyman's head smashing people's car just like that, would have been a real shame if he got hold of your bikes, especially Toms, that thing looks like a ripe peach, sweet an juicy

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yeah, smashing in sumthin' like a CB1100 gas tank could give Bunnyman something to worry 'bout.
 
I get creeped out enough just by seeing a person in a rabbit suit without a weapon. Same with clown suits. I think I'd evacuate myself if I saw either wielding anything as threatening as a sharp stick.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I get creeped out enough just by seeing a person in a rabbit suit without a weapon. Same with clown suits. I think I'd evacuate myself if I saw either wielding anything as threatening as a sharp stick.
Those "suits" don't get washed nearly 1/10th the time they should. That is indeed enough to be creeped out.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Creepy or not, the bridge is in the high rent district. Neat neighborhoods.
Indeed. Thanks again for the ride.
I posted your photo of the bridge. No one commented on the shadow inside. Seems creepy to me :s
 
tommymck_imp said:
Creepy or not, the bridge is in the high rent district. Neat neighborhoods.
Hey, bad things can happen in good neighborhoods. The meth dealer across the street from me finally moved out. No more SWAT raids with dogs and bullhorns at 3AM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top