CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a spin around one of my favorite loops today, over to the west side of the valley through Orland, around Black Butte Reservoir, south past Thunderhill to Willows and home.
Just west of Orland I stopped for a pic of this aptly named garden of eternal repose...

Actually a family cemetery, not an overstatement of the obvious. Lots of Graves's and their relatives dating from the pioneer days.
With temps starting to drop from the day's high of about 70 I rode south, twisting through the dry foothills past ranches and grazing cattle. Chased a dozen turkeys off the road, they tried to outrun me before scattering,
Shortly I came across Newville Cemetary, about all that appears to be left of Newville. More vintage markers.

On this whole stretch of country back road I met three cars and two pickups, and one car passed me while I was taking pics. It was an extremely pleasant ride.
Last is what I believe to be the Chrome cemetery, but the sign seems to have gone away. Again, markers dating from the mid 1800's with a few marble and granite and lots of wood, with no visible markings. They appear to get a coat of white paint every other decade or so.

So with the sun dipping behind the hill, I motored on south then east past Thunderhill, through Willows and home. Great ride! :biker:

Ben
 
so three cemeteries today !! .. lots of wood markers there also.. yes Ben, I like it when I have the road all to myself too, or at least almost..nice pics..
 
Nice, Ben. The Chrome Cemetery must have been a bright spot. :-/
 
OK, Cormanus, there's no tongue in cheek emoji so I'll go with this :P :rofl:
Definitely could have used one of those inside the visor sunshade things on the southwest leg of that ride!

Ben
 
First of every month by the first guy to meet the previous month's challenge
 
Hey, Chuckk, check out the original post of this thread for details. Most important "rule" is the un-numbered one, get out and ride and have a little fun!

Ben
 
I decided to try and post a monthly contribution, so I went for a salt run today.

About 1C (~34F) and my unheated Triumph jacket was too warm :-/. I should have just wore a t-shirt underneath. Nevertheless, here are a couple challenge pics:


There were no civil war veterans to discuss here, however, I did - by luck - come across this old WWII soldier today:

Lancaster_Bomber_CB1100

- - -

Later in the day I actually had a chance to get a really good side shot with the WWII air force sign in clear view during a low altitude bank, but I was just dismounting the CB and could not get the camera ready in time. It was a glorious view and rumble of the bomber's engines.
 
Good pics GO...and flying Lancaster as well, were you near Hamilton airport?? :thumbsup:
The only thing, I don't not like is snow brrrrrrrr..
 
Can't ride the CB because I'm STILL :@ waiting on the OEM brake pads I ordered from a Honda dealer well over 4-5 weeks ago. Checked again yesterday and they're on backorder from Honda. New arrival time is Friday this week.

So, too nice of a day not to ride and wanted to at least contribute to the contest even if its not on a CB. Took the XR1200 (which hasn't been ridden in almost 2 months) and went to a local cemetery.

eb33ee05367c62886576b9234763a13b.jpg


2f1245e058e05e8479d25dafc211e121.jpg


Buried in the low walled brick section in the distance behind the XR is this gentleman of local origin.

d7de8d9b9675baf64bb07c25cce2f868.jpg


You can read more about his time on Iwo Jima at this link....

George Edward Wahlen - Wikipedia

Some of his neighbors:

1865c8732d21ee383494ae02bfb753cd.jpg


feb3852f3e254ae3f0f1c4ce894feefa.jpg


1e5ac4aeee86944c0ac04a5338fb3bca.jpg
 
I don't know if there's a problem my end, but I can't see GO's photos. If others are having the same problem, here they are:



 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top