CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm putting our office Halloween decorations back up in the attic today...
 
I’m not so sure that there was a specification that the cemetery needed to be open...
 
Actually, this challenge was a good reminder that I've got some good friends, and one crazy uncle residing at St. John's whom I haven't paid respects to in a while.
 
The cemetery on the Old Perth Road overlooking the Upper Rideau Lake near Westport.

I stopped to get a picture of the lake on my August 1st bike ride.
 
Had to brave the elements and head down to the Chico cemetery for these pics. Must have been mid eighties...

This memorial commemorates Civil War losses 1861-1865.

This is in memory of crew of 52 submarines lost in WWII.
It should be hot all weekend, but I plan to brave the elements for a few more.

Ben
 
No chance to enter the cemetery with a motorbike. So I parked the CB right in front of the maingate for the photo.



Wisedrum
 
Memorial and gravesites for those Marshall University football team members, staff and others returning via Flight 932 to Huntington, WV from Greenville SC on November 14, 1970. 75 perished. Spring Hill Cemetery.
19448be8d4bb4de13681c527fc41f795.jpg
06cc71e1cdf1614f4ee9ba275cbfc217.jpg
f374c036b27a8c77d82eb5053c1a12a1.jpg
ed4a35c3e72ca32b83a482655012e981.jpg
343e200929a7414509cad7f674878628.jpg


https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0g...iversity/RK=2/RS=j2iPfZBS1g3gbnx7_BRWU03YwJc-

The sign is located at the site of plane crash near Kenova WV.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My departed brother in law played football for Marshall and would have been on that plane but he was injured. He felt remorse about not being with the team his whole life until he died. You'd think he would have been grateful, but he just felt guilty.
 
mtneers: I do not remember that tragedy. I was in college at that time and didn’t have access to a television etc. Glad you brought this up.

ferret, I guess it is difficult to understand what your late brother-in-law had to deal with his survivor’s guilt. I have a friend who was forced to take a medical retirement (lost his finger) from the New York (city) Fire Department right before the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center. I called him to check on him because I knew his former firehouse was close to the WTC. I asked him if he lost any of his fellow firefighters and he said “all of them”. He had to get professional help to deal with his survivor’s guilt.
 
At first acquaintance, 'survivor's guilt' seems a strange reaction. But, on reflection, it's easy to see how being lucky enough to miss a catastrophe you really ought to have been at would leave you feeling guilty and somehow like you cheated.
 
Well all I know is it ruined his life. Couldnt keep a job, failed marriage, drank himself to death at 46.
 
baxtercat_imp said:
colorful dying leaves on a Toten Sunday in Swan Point Cemetery, up the road from me.
All those leaves even behind in the picture are still on the trees in RI? The Oaks by me are just about leafless.
 
clearviewx_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
colorful dying leaves on a Toten Sunday in Swan Point Cemetery, up the road from me.
All those leaves even behind in the picture are still on the trees in RI? The Oaks by me are just about leafless.
Funny that. Way up here north of Lake Ontario the big ol' oak in my yard is still 80% full of orange leaves and we get snow tonight! Oaks around me tend to keep leaves too long ... into the cold season.

However, the maples are about 75% empty now.
 
The maple trees are empty here.

The oak trees with acorns are loosing their leaves on the windy days. The oak trees without acorns will hold their leaves all winter. The leaves will fall in the spring when the new growth starts.

The squirrels harvest the acorns by cutting the stem. They fall like a grape clusters and make a real mess. Everybody's lawn near the trees has holes all over the place from the squirrels burying the acorns. Smarter squirrels bury them close to house foundations because the snow melts there during mild spells like the January thaw.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
The maple trees are empty here.

The oak trees with acorns are loosing their leaves on the windy days. The oak trees without acorns will hold their leaves all winter. The leaves will fall in the spring when the new growth starts.

The squirrels harvest the acorns by cutting the stem. They fall like a grape clusters and make a real mess. Everybody's lawn near the trees has holes all over the place from the squirrels burying the acorns. Smarter squirrels bury them close to house foundations because the snow melts there during mild spells like the January thaw.
lol - This year our oak had the largest bounty of acorns ever. Sooo many it was an incredible nuisance, but wonderful for the squirrels.

The tree just won't let go of the leaves as the blowing snow pings off them.

Other than the ones I picked up, I have no idea where all the nuts went.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top